Looking to buy my first tractor

/ Looking to buy my first tractor
Right now, we use farmlogs to divide up our five acres, and allocate a section within that five based on our yearly needs. We track what has been planted and the cost of the seed. Information regarding harvest and planting times have been sourced from the local community members as well as the local AG office.

Most things have been planned out as per our CSV sheet and have came together nicely thus far, the only abstract thing at this moment is which piece of machinery will do the job we need.

Just from attempting to find answers regarding this problem, there seems to be a lot of opinions regarding equipment, and the only raw, unbiased numbers one can look at are the hp, weight, hydraulics, and misc quality of life features. Knowing the work that needs done, one can determine which raw numbers are required, after that it is a preference; dealer support, specific model reviews, ease of parts and etc

After working on cars for 10 years, I don't trust a single brand as far as I could throw them.... they all have their issues and reputation doesn't seem to go much further.

With all that being said, I think the 40-50hp range at the 5k weight range and decent hydraulics , can do what I intend it do for the next couple years while I get my bearings around the farm, and region.

Appreciate your thoughts guys

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #52  
Here's advice from a retired engr 3 times your age:
1) Dealer
2) Dealer
3) Dealer
Especially since you are not long in the tooth with tractors (or farming) you need to be as close/accessible to a friendly and cooperative dealer as you can get. Not all fit that description. Ask around and see what reputations exist. There will be a LARGE number of times where you need to commiserate with knowledgeable people on your machinery. Cultivating that with neighbors who own/operate farm equipment is VERY important too. Crossing borders is a crazy complication with no benefit.
4) 4WD -- under no circumstances do you even consider a 2WD. The 2WD tractor is a stuck tractor guaranteed to cause you extra grief and you will have plenty of grief without that.
5) A $25K budget and talking 2 tractors does not compute.
6) Of the ones you mention I'd go with the MF unless the hours are over 2000 and unless the dealer is over 50 miles away. Does the heater work ? What is the maint history?

By the way you are not the first with a young family to decide to put city life behind you and go be self-sufficient in the boonies. I am half surprised you didn't go to Alaska. You will learn more from your own experience in the first 2 years than all the opinions your will ever read. You are going to be gullible, incurably optimistic without justification ... and I love to see it !!

Too many other things to distract you with. Good luck.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #53  
Gene,I was born on a farm and used tractors for decades. If my grandson asked me the same question(s) and I wasn't going to be there for him next week or next year I'd tell him the same as I'm telling you. Starting at the bottom you will need lots of help for years to come. I recommend you find a mentor neighbor right from the beginning. I or another old timer can answer questions on the net but could do 10x better if there to show you. In return you could do some tractor chores for me while I was teaching you. First rattle out of the box you asked about a tractor I've never heard of that turns out to be some kind of collectors special addition. Getting quick and easy answers sounds real good until you take time to browse this forum and notice how often member advice givers disagree with one another. How will you know who's feeding you a line and who's not? Could a newbie best learn tools of your trade surfing the web or apprenticing with you?
^^^ This ^^^
I spent a lot of my summers on a neighbor's farm, helping with chores, and running equipment, but was nowhere prepared to own a farm. When I bought my own place 15 years ago, I was blessed to have a neighbor farmer who was friendly, patient, mechanically inclined, and willing to teach. Since then, i can hold my own, but it has been a long journey.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #54  
Frankly that McCormick CT50U looks like a dandy. Pre-Tier IV emissions control and a proven good quality engine. Good displacement to HP ratio. Shuttle shift is a big bonus in a used machine. Lots of speeds are very nice. Nice bucket tilt geometry. PS. Low hours. Looks clean. It has the correct tires for your use. I think you are going to have a hard time beating that one.

rScotty

/ Looking to buy my first tractor
Here's advice from a retired engr 3 times your age:
1) Dealer
2) Dealer
3) Dealer
Especially since you are not long in the tooth with tractors (or farming) you need to be as close/accessible to a friendly and cooperative dealer as you can get. Not all fit that description. Ask around and see what reputations exist. There will be a LARGE number of times where you need to commiserate with knowledgeable people on your machinery. Cultivating that with neighbors who own/operate farm equipment is VERY important too. Crossing borders is a crazy complication with no benefit.
4) 4WD -- under no circumstances do you even consider a 2WD. The 2WD tractor is a stuck tractor guaranteed to cause you extra grief and you will have plenty of grief without that.
5) A $25K budget and talking 2 tractors does not compute.
6) Of the ones you mention I'd go with the MF unless the hours are over 2000 and unless the dealer is over 50 miles away. Does the heater work ? What is the maint history?

By the way you are not the first with a young family to decide to put city life behind you and go be self-sufficient in the boonies. I am half surprised you didn't go to Alaska. You will learn more from your own experience in the first 2 years than all the opinions your will ever read. You are going to be gullible, incurably optimistic without justification ... and I love to see it !!

Too many other things to distract you with. Good luck.

Well said! Most of our neighbors on our street who are in their 60s did exactly what we're doing now. I'll add, we've met more friends out here in the last couple months than we did our entire lives living in the burbs.

My cousin loves Alaska, she has lived there for over 10 years now and has a nice life. I have visited a few times and it wasn't for me. For a thoroughbred New England yankee like myself, nothing can beat this place

We're going to check out the MC on Wednesday

"the hardest things in life are often the most rewarding"

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #56  
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first tractor. From my extensive research online and locally, most of my questions have been answered but I would to hear your guys opinions.

What the tractor will be used for:
40 acres tillable (currently leasing 35 of this and using 5 for sod/garden but may take it over as time passes)
80 acres forest
bush hogging
log yarding
snow blowing

Goals:
Want a tractor that will be able to work the field and go out in the woods and yard logs as well as general grading of roads

Specs I think that are priority

4x4
50hp
bucket loader equipped
3 point
remote hydraulics

Price range

Units I've found:
New Holland Boomer 8N low mileage, meets above critea
McCormick CT50U low mileage, meets above critea

I would suggest that if you do work in the woods, you only consider HST tractors, as they will stop just by releasing the pressure on the pedal. This could save your life. I agree with the general size. Much more than 50 Hp will be too bulky in the woods. I have similar acreage and I bought a Mahindra 5035 HST, 4wd. It is heavier than the competition, making it more capable of logging. I have dragged 20" diameter by 60' long logs uphill with this. I wish you luck finding what you want for $25K. BTW, I use an 8' dual spindle bushhog. It is more maneuverable than single spindle models, as it does not stick out as far behind the tractor.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #57  
Hello,

I am looking to purchase my first tractor. From my extensive research online and locally, most of my questions have been answered but I would to hear your guys opinions.

What the tractor will be used for:
40 acres tillable (currently leasing 35 of this and using 5 for sod/garden but may take it over as time passes)
80 acres forest
bush hogging
log yarding
snow blowing

Goals:
Want a tractor that will be able to work the field and go out in the woods and yard logs as well as general grading of roads

Specs I think that are priority

4x4
50hp
bucket loader equipped
3 point
remote hydraulics

Price range

Units I've found:
New Holland Boomer 8N low mileage, meets above critea
McCormick CT50U low mileage, meets above critea

I've purchased 2 kioti tractors since I purchased some land. I have had zero problems with either of them. Ive never owned any other make and my only other experience was growing up with an old Alice Chalmers D14 gas tractor.

Me recommendation would be to look at Kioti.

Kioti lacks the dealer network enjoyed by Kubota and JD. And accessories and filters are harder to get. But I have had zero problems and I enjoy every minute of sitting on the seat working it.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #58  
If you are serious about tilling that many acres, step it up to 75hp and get a shuttle shift, not a hydrostat. You can pull larger implements. 50hp is utility tractor size and I think you need to step it up a little. You could do it just take you longer.

Get a shuttle shift either way because hydrostat isn't really designed for a lot of tillage. I like the advice above about getting an older "Farm tractor". EDIted: rereading your post 80acres is wooded I see so you could get by with 50hp but you will be out there a while. We tiled 20acres with an old M Farmall and we got it done.
For tilling and mowing, I agree with you. But I believe people should never work in the woods with a gear drive tractor. Death or serious injury can happen in a heartbeat. I am alive today because I was able to stop with my HST when a sapling kicked up on the front axle and almost impaled me. As it is, I got one heck of a bruise.

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #59  
Best make friends with your nearest tractor dealer and work with them. One that is close enough to work on your tractor or be available for parts. Regardless of the brand name, this should be your first priority.
Once you buy and start using the tractor, you will likely find need for different attachments and very likely trading (or adding) for a different tractor.

Good luck. My JD 4300 is the best I know for simple, does the work, and the model I found for a good friend who is super happy with his 4300. No experience with any other brand. They cannot be easily found used on the market so can't even suggest that you look for one. ;)

/ Looking to buy my first tractor #60  
Best make friends with your nearest tractor dealer --with a good reputation-- and work with them.

Find a well reputed welding shop and make friends there as well. 1/3 of my tractor and/or implement repairs have required welding.

Last edited: