Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #41  
I'm cutting 1/2" plate so it gets pretty hot. I just don't want to look up and it's burst into flames.

1/2" is pretty thick. Now I know the safety police will likely jump me, but myself and all the guys at the shop just wear dark sunglasses with our plasma cutters. If you're holding the torch right and the machine is piercing through without a bunch of splatter Masonite won't burst into flames.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #42  
1/2" is pretty thick. Now I know the safety police will likely jump me, but myself and all the guys at the shop just wear dark sunglasses with our plasma cutters. If you're holding the torch right and the machine is piercing through without a bunch of splatter Masonite won't burst into flames.

No splatter up top (well, unless I forget one of my cinder block supports is in the line of cut :mur:) . The metal does get really hot though. I can touch the torch with my finger after a cut and it isn't hot at all (I usually keep my post flow air on for about 30 sec. since I'm cutting at 50A).

This is one of my cuts:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ions-please-post-post4236873.html#post4236873

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #43  
Those are really nice cuts for half inch and hand held at that. Try the Masonite on some 1/4" steel or aluminum. So far it seems you got a good cutter for a very good price.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #44  
If its too hard to move and set up then it wont get used.

Moving the plasma cutter/welder, compressor, and cables is all a bit of a hassle so I made something to move everything at once. The basis of this is just a cheap sack truck ($20 on Sale at Supercheap over here). I added a base to carry the compressor and a shelf to carry the plasma/cutter welder (strapped on), plus a basket to carry bits and pieces. The cables are permanently connected so I just have to flick a switch to change from welding to cutting. Its all cheap stuff but it works fine for me.

Attachments

• Sacktruck1.gif
    Sacktruck1.gif
    140 KB · Views: 123
  • Sacktruck2.gif
    Sacktruck2.gif
    138.3 KB · Views: 159
   / Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #45  
If its too hard to move and set up then it wont get used. Moving the plasma cutter/welder, compressor, and cables is all a bit of a hassle so I made something to move everything at once. The basis of this is just a cheap sack truck QUOTE]

Nice job!! :)

I always find it interesting how terminology varies region to region. Around here we call that a hand truck. A sack truck which we used in the 'olden' days would have had the handles/backrest leaning back about 15 degrees so that sacks could be stacked on the truck.

Terry

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #47  
I always find it interesting how terminology varies region to region. Around here we call that a hand truck. A sack truck which we used in the 'olden' days would have had the handles/backrest leaning back about 15 degrees so that sacks could be stacked on the truck.

Terry

I'm probably in the wrong calling it a sack truck. The stores over here call them 'hand trolleys', which doesn't seem right to me. A trolley has 4 wheels in my book.

These 'trucks' are so handy. $20 on Sale, you couldn't normally buy the wheels for that. This is the third one I've modified. I have one at the shack very similar to the one above that carries a compressor and an auxiliary tank, and this one below that carries fire wood.

Attachments

• wood-truck.gif
    wood-truck.gif
    134.7 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
   / Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #49  
My set-up is pretty similar to alchemysa's . H.F. big wheel hand truck with a H.F. welding cart like this one :
View attachment 441794

Welded to front of hand truck . I did not install the wheels from the welding cart , thus when I stop , it sits flat on the ground . On top shelf , I have my longevity migweld 200S and on the bottom is a pretty similar plasma cutter as the Lotos . Mine is not pilot arc and I really don't see any excessive wear of tips or other nozzle parts . Usually the only time I fry a tip is if I am trying to clean up something I bunged up the first pass or something similar .

I burned off maybe 5 + feet of 1/8" painted steel on the back of My Brush mower , which Yes , it is only 1/8" , But doubt I could of done it any quicker with anything else . The ground was placed on the skid on one side , since the paint was rub off on the bottom of the skid and pulled the trigger right next to the edge were I was going to start . Burnt the paint right off and away I went . Although I did not look , I imagine that the very bottom edge of the cut steel were I started at , was bare metal also , My only issue was keeping in line with My chalk line before the plasma burnt the chalk line off :confused:

Have had this Plasma cutter for somethhing like 5 years now . Have cut 18 gauge through 1/2" over the years without any issue's , ( not even running air through a dryer , just the glass regulator on th air compressor and the smaller one on the back of the plasma ) .

Fred H.

/ Lotos LT5000D Plasma cutter deal from Amazon #50  
With a bit of help from me, my kids and wife got me the Ebay one for my birthday. I'm glad I went with the dual voltage. It goes through thick sheet metal on a 20amp breaker painlessly. I showed my son a quick cut in the form of a sine-wave which prompted him to ask why we waited so long to get one. Nice clean cut when the speed is proper and against a straight edge. Right through paint and rust without Pilot Arc. I used it to cut some rusted metal from the floorboards of my jeep this weekend. Would have been a tough spot to cut with anything else besides a torch. Amazes me how small it is. I read that a wirebrush will make the tip last longer, I give it a quick brushing after use and it looks fine for the next cut.

Here it is sitting on my cheap HF table. The cables are actually a decent length.

torch.jpg