M7060 Creeper Gears

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #1  

jkornbread

Tractor
2015 Kubota M7060
Google and site searching aren't leading me to a lot of answers.

Looking at adding the creeper gear kit to my M7060. I can't for the life of me find anything that goes over the install. Ive seen comments ranging from its simple to its a royal PITA. Anyone done this? Or have access to the instructions? I just want to go over the procedure before I plunk down the cash to buy the kit so I know what I'm getting myself into......

Also, anyone have a preference on whom to purchase said kit from other than your local Kubota dealer? Please elaborate.

Thanks all!

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #2  
While I haven't looked at this, it's worth having a look at the exploded parts diagrams of the gearbox and creeper gear kit to assess how it bolts up, I believe on some it's a simple job of removing a plate and slipping the kit in. EDIT, just had a look, this is how it "appears"..........whether or not access is a problem, jump under your tractor and have a look...........

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #3  
Since I got my flail mower to mow around my ponds I have been thinking about the creep speed kit Emailed Messicks and got a price of $695.

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #4  
I'm sure you have checked this out but to further explain - - the creeper gears have a very limited use.

Quote from my Kubota OP manual -

Creep speed should only be used when doing one of the following -
Deep rotary-tilling and harrowing
Planting
Turf application

Creep speed can not be used for any of the following -
Pulling a trailer
Front-loader operation
Front-blade operation
Earth-moving
Entering and leaving a field
Loading onto and unloading from a truck

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #5  
I am looking for slower speed when mowing around my ponds with the ditch bank flail mower still have a few trees and old stumps along the outside of the pond levees. I would rather creep along than keeping my foot on the clutch. I figure the creep gear is a lot cheaper that replacing a clutch

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #6  
jkornbread and murse72,

I installed the creeper kit on my M7060HDC12 about three weeks ago and love it - it was basically an easy install. I bought my kit thru the dealer. I use the creeper gears when I'm feeding my cattle while grinding it in the mill. Like you, I found no information on the 'net so I hope the following is helpful to you. This is for the 12-speed transmission but the 8-speed is most likely similar.

Kubota suggests that one remove the left rear tire but that isn't necessary. First, the tractor's left step must be removed, then drain and remove the fuel tank. The hydraulic fluid must also be drained. I used an inexpensive hand held transfer pump that I bought from Harbor Freight to pump both so that I could keep everything clean. The hydraulic fluid was pumped via its filler hole located at the rear of the tractor.
image_16308.jpg

Multi-Use Transfer Pump

The creeper kit comes with instructions, the assembled gear and plate, new bolts, new range shift knob, two dowel alignment pins, and all necessary decals (see photo below). You'll have to buy some gasket sealer and it is recommended that you use Permatex Anaerobic Gasket Maker #51813 which is available at most automotive stores.

The installation instructions are also attached and can be seen in the pdf link below if downloaded.

Attachments

• Kobota 7060HDC12 Creep Kit.jpg
    Kobota 7060HDC12 Creep Kit.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 869
  • Creep Gear Installation M7060.pdf
    352.6 KB · Views: 821
Last edited:
   / M7060 Creeper Gears #7  
Thanks MBU. How far down did you have to drain your hydraulic fluid ?

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #8  
... How far down did you have to drain your hydraulic fluid ?

murse72,

One needs to get most of the oil out - maybe a quart can be left. Remember, some of the tractor's oil capacity will still be held in the FEL, rear hydraulics, and steering which will help.

The hardest part of the creeper gear installation is draining the tractor's fluids, so plan on doing the work when the fuel tank is low!:D Seriously, it took me around four hours to do the job but that was because I was proceeding cautiously. If I were to do it again, I could do it in two hours. If you have the dealer install it, I would think a fair charge time would be around 2.5 hours.

In my opinion, the slow speeds of the creeper are well worth its cost - even if one only used it when attaching implements.

Last edited:
   / M7060 Creeper Gears #9  
I'm sure you have checked this out but to further explain - - the creeper gears have a very limited use.

Quote from my Kubota OP manual -

Creep speed should only be used when doing one of the following -
Deep rotary-tilling and harrowing
Planting
Turf application

Creep speed can not be used for any of the following -
Pulling a trailer
Front-loader operation
Front-blade operation
Earth-moving
Entering and leaving a field
Loading onto and unloading from a truck

I have no doubt that these "Cannot be used for..." applications covers somebody's butt at Kubota in obscure circumstances. I'm sure the OP Manual says that but I'd consider it nonsense until a reasonable explanation is provided. "Can only be used for..." is really absurd. For example creeper gears are excellent for snowblowing which is not mentioned. Of course any "can only be used for" list is silly. I wonder if any Kubota regional service rep has been asked to explain these restrictive statements ?

/ M7060 Creeper Gears #10  
The creeper gears are designed for slow speed not maximum torque. I assume they expect there are scenarios where those low gears can generate more torque than some of the drivetrain can take. Hence warning against situations where there are situations where you could get unexpectedly large amounts of traction & resistance. Then the creeper gears torque something to pieces.