M9540HDC24

/ M9540HDC24 #1  

AllDodge

Platinum Member
Tractor
Terramite T5C, Kubota M9540HDC24, F3990, RTV1100, Cat 416C, D3B, 955L
Anyone have a tractor that has electrically engage the PTO and 4x4?

Just bought the tractor and giving it a closer once over. When I step on the break the 4x4 lights up on the dash. Now this is with the tractor stopped and in neutral. I need to drive it around some and see if other things show up. Its a 2013 model and looks good, but the more I look closely I'm seeing that it was used but not to sure it was maintained very well. Have some grease fittings one the loader that still have orange paint on them. One of the pull pins had the locking pin snapped off

/ M9540HDC24 #2  
Anyone have a tractor that has electrically engage the PTO and 4x4?

Just bought the tractor and giving it a closer once over. When I step on the break the 4x4 lights up on the dash. Now this is with the tractor stopped and in neutral. I need to drive it around some and see if other things show up. Its a 2013 model and looks good, but the more I look closely I'm seeing that it was used but not to sure it was maintained very well. Have some grease fittings one the loader that still have orange paint on them. One of the pull pins had the locking pin snapped off

I have an M9960HD12. The 9960 is the replacement for the 9540.

Mine is a ROPS model. The 24 speed power shifting transmission is not available on ROPS models (I would have bought it if it had been.) but the PTO is electric over hydraulic.

The FWA does not automatically engage on the 12 speed model when applying the brakes because the FWA is mechanically engaged. I was unaware that it does so on the HDC24 models but, perhaps, it may. Is FWA engaged electrically or mechanically?

I once owned a NH T4050 deluxe with electrically engaged FWA that automatically engaged when the brakes were applied.

SDT

/ M9540HDC24 #3  
Do you know if your 9540 has been used to operate a bat wing or other rotary mower?

The PTO brake used in M9540, some M9960 and similar models prior to the M5 series tractors is inadequate for use with inertial loads and can fail catastrophically is so used. The PTO brake was redesigned and made considerably more robust during the 9960 model run, making such failure considerably less likely. Though not in the owner's manual, Kubota verbally advises against such use for these tractors without an over running clutch.

If you plan to uses your 9540 with inertial PTO loads you may wish to consider a HD over running clutch.

SDT

/ M9540HDC24
Called the dealer and says the electronic 4x4 does do that when applying the break to make sure all 4 wheels are breaking. The PTO is electrically engaged.

The tractor has 3 remotes and don't know for sure, but was probably used for a batwing and other devices. Might need to look into an over running clutch

/ M9540HDC24 #5  
I pull a 15ft batwing. I engage the PTO at idle. I disengage PTO at idle. Reduces stress on the attachment driveline. Reduces stress on the PTO brake.

/ M9540HDC24
Last edited:
   / M9540HDC24 #7  
   / M9540HDC24
Maintenance stuff
Found a leak in the upper radiator hose (3C981-32439), need to order it. Going to replace all the filters to set my baseline.

The water separator is in a tight spot. If the loader bracket was remove it wouldn't be so hard, but still squeezed in there. It looks like it just unscrews but only being able to get a few fingers on it, doesn't get me much leverage. Assuming its like the ones on my track loader, shut the fuel off (I see the lever) remove, clean out, clean and inspect element, reinstall loosely, turn fuel back on and when fuel starts spilling, tighten.

Anyone have any tricks or tools that work? Figure I'll try my nylon filter strap wrench if nothing else

Fuel Sep.jpg

Boats have always been hard to work on, but things on the tractor is tight. Going to need to remove the hood I think to replace the shocks, there both bad

Last edited:
   / M9540HDC24
Anyone know how the glow plugs are operated. The manual does say, and there isn't a position on the key switch like on the RTV for it either?

/ M9540HDC24 #10  
Mine come on based on temp. Turn the key to run and hesitate a second. If needed the glow plug lights comes on. Depending on temp wait a few seconds until light goes off. Start the engine.