M9540HDC24

/ M9540HDC24
Mine come on based on temp. Turn the key to run and hesitate a second. If needed the glow plug lights comes on. Depending on temp wait a few seconds until light goes off. Start the engine.

After I posted this comment I did find the other thread on the M7040 with same comment. Appreicate the responce. Did go out this AM to do some more work and it was around 34F and it didn't make a full turn over before it fired right up. Guss this is an issue I don't need to worry about.

Now if I can figure out how to get the separator removed for cleaning

/ M9540HDC24 #12  
Yeah mine cranks easy.

Every time I've changed mine I've been able to get it off by hand. Probly jinxed myself now.

/ M9540HDC24 #13  
My M7060HDC12 also automatically engages 4wd when the brakes are touched. Per the owner's manual, that's how it is designed to work. And yes, the PTO is engaged by an electrical switch. I have to make sure the tractor is at idle when I engage it or it will snap shear pins. And the glow plugs come on automatically if it is cold enough. There is no control for them. Just as in a diesel pickup, turn on the key; if the glow plug light comes on then wait until it goes off before starting the engine. If the glow plug light does not come on then just fire it up!

/ M9540HDC24
I got the water separator off, used a large pair of channel locks that barely fit on. Didn't take a lot but once moved I could go the rest of the way by hand. There was a bunch of crud in the bottom, yet another sign that who ever owned it, did very little maintenance.

Removed the hood gas springs and one is shot. Kubota wants $148 each for them so not going there. Last time I needed one I just used the dimensions and was able to find after market which worked just fine. Did this for my CAT backhoe, and they to wanted high dollar for them. Think I paid about $20 each.
Spring info
Force 65Kg = 143lb
Compressed = 12 7/8 (327mm)
Extended = 18 7/8 (479mm)
Clevis ends

Waiting for the upper radiator hose to come and manual says the motor should have Zerek G0-5 which is HOAT (Amber, Yellow) antifreeze. What I'm draining out is Green so this is regular ethylene glycol. Figured it had a leak so it was cheaper to keep adding EG then use G0-5, don't know. Have drained the stuff but unable to find the drain on the block.
Anyone know where the block drain is????

Also figure I'll replace the belts
Fan 1/2 x 49 inches ribbed
AC 3/8 x 60 5/8 to 3/4 ribbed

/ M9540HDC24
Ordered belts from V-Belt Global cost $23.96 and ship - will advise after receipt
AX47 for AC
3VX600 for Fan

Ordered gas springs from Lift supports depot $52.62 for 2 each and ship - will advise after receipt
4601E39

/ M9540HDC24 #16  
Wonder how long that green antifreeze has been in there? That's what my John Deere had in it; the engine developed a hole in a cylinder liner because the green stuff needs to at least have diesel coolant additive added to it to prevent cavitation/corrosion issues. I never added any, figuring a 60 years old tractor didn't need it. I was wrong.

/ M9540HDC24 #17  
Hmm...... either the last of the M-40 series or the bigger M's just had electric engagement for the PTO & 4WD. My 2009 M6040 has mechanical, lever activated PTO & 4WD. Very nice, I can "feather the clutch" as I engage the PTO. My glow plug situation - turn the key to on - if it's below 32F the glow plugs will come on for a few seconds, go off - turn the key to start - off we go.

/ M9540HDC24
Recon if no one knows where the block drain is, I'll flush it out with water until clean, then drain and fill with HOAT

/ M9540HDC24
Looks like it holds 9L (2.4G) but doesn't list how much more for the cab. If I can get 1.5G of full strength in I should be OK. Need to run it some and check mix

/ M9540HDC24
Another question; How is the fuel filter and separator refilled?
The fuel pump appears to be mechanical which is mounted on the injection pump. The fuel filter housing has a plastic thing on top but does not appear to do anything if push down. Unable to find a bleed screw or other hand pump, and when the fuel valve is re-opened on the separator, no fuel comes back in