Mahindra 5155 Anyone?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #41  
5155 and now I am going to need to change over most of the attachments I already have so yes the 1500 will come in handy during that long endeavor. I will keep you posted.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #42  
Hey, Andy.

Going through your thread, I really like your 5155. If they'd been available when I bought my 4540 I likely would've bought one of those instead. Seems like they have all the features I love, and a fix for everything I dislike about the 4540. I might it trade towards one a couple years from now.

But, the Saw of Death... I need one of those in my life. What can you tell me about it?
Diameter of the saw?
GPM of the motor?
Does it run off your tractor's aux hydraulics or a pto-driven pump?
Does it turn up well and cut nicely?

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Hi Walt, the tractor is a big upgrade from my 1538. Nothing at all wrong with the 1538 but I found myself wanting more weight and more physical footprint mostly to deal with my hilly property and maintaining a very steep driveway. The 5155 is working great so far as I’ve recently spent about 6 hours of seat time clearing very heavy snow at my place. Very smooth operating tractor and the front loader is extremely powerful.
As far as the Saw of Death, I built that to cut back and maintain the branches hanging down over the driveway and along trails in my woods. It works really well for that since I can reach up high with the loader. I don’t remember the exact specs on the motor but I believe it’s making about 600 RPM at 8gpm hydraulic flow (which is about what the 1538 put out). It is a 30” blade and the tip speed is in the neighborhood of where they recommend you run circular saws. It uses the tractor hydraulics to run it. I did a post a while back here on the build so if you look for it you could see some more detailed pics and info.
Was a fun and inexpensive solution to a need. It works good.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #45  

Thank you very much! I'll definitely be building one of those in the near future, I have a very similar need for one.

Glad to hear you like the 5155 so much, sounds like we both use our tractors for many of the same uses.

Thanks again, I'll be following for more update and reviews if you have them.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Sounds good. Tractors and the accessories are so handy. The older I get the more I like saving my back and time. How do you like your 4540? Those are another real stout machine.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #47  
Oh, for sure. I really like the versatility of them more than anything else, some good operating skills and the right attachments can go a long ways.

I love almost everything about my 4540. It's a very stout machine, as you've noted with yours the loader on mine is also incredibly strong. Thinking back I'm sure that I've overloaded it numerous times with no ill effects. I love how heavy the tractor is, it pulls implements and twitches logs without a hitch.

My only two gripes are:
1. I wish it was more powerful. It's got all the power you could ever need in low range, but I wish it had better capabilities for traveling uphill in high range. Specifically, up my steadily sloped 2300' driveway. If I decide I'm going to keep the tractor for the long run I'll definitely swap the ECU for a 4550's fuel map to gain those 8 extra horsepower.

2. The transmission is very robust, but not very smooth or functional for my application. You may know, but the 4540 and 50 transmissions are gear drive, non-synchronized 4 forward/1 reverse with a high and low range for 8 forward/2 reverse. It's a dual stage clutch, so if you're trying to use it for maneuvering in tight areas or plowing snow, there's a lot of clutch work and manual shifting.

Also, the lack of equal reverse speeds is frustrating. R-low is good for maneuvering in the woods, but it's really too low for doing any back and forth work like plowing efficiently. R-high is so high that it's practically unusable if you've got a lot of ballast like me. Overall, I feel like the tractor is more suited to plowing a field than working in the woods or around the house. Great machine, just kind of a misapplication on my part more than anything else.

My dad's JD 4510 is a 12F/12R shuttle like your 5155, and once you've used one of those it's hard to get used to the gear drive with only 2 reverse speeds. So, I'll likely be upgrading to a 12F/12R tractor in the future, and I love everything else about my Mahindra so a 5155 would be a very likely candidate for me.

Last edited:
   / Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Good explanation Walt. Yes the 4500 series is a sort of a throwback tractor with regards to transmission and dual stage clutch arrangement. I started off with a Ford 3000 and it had the exact same transmission and dual stage clutch setup so I’m familiar. They are great for field work as you’ve stated but the shuttle is very nice when you need to maneuver etc. My 1538 was a shuttle as well although only an 8x8 and they are definitely nice. And the extra horsepower is definitely going to be nice. That’s why I went with the 5155 instead of the 5145. They’re heavy tractors and while I don’t really need more PTO horsepower, the extra weight certainly takes more omph to move it. Time will tell for me but I really think Mahindra did their homework on this one. Very good operator station with well laid out controls and very smooth shifting and shuttle action.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone? #49  
Has anyone purchased a third function kit for their 5145 or 5155? I feel it should be easy as the loader remote appears to be Pre-wired.

/ Mahindra 5155 Anyone?
Has anyone purchased a third function kit for their 5145 or 5155? I feel it should be easy as the loader remote appears to be Pre-wired.
Yes the joystick is prewired and Mahindra will offer a diverter valve kit that plugs right in. But they aren’t available yet. I did find an aftermarket kit that’s available now, but can’t remember who was offering that.