Major differences between BX and B series?

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #1  

MGH PA

Gold Member
Tractor
2005 Gravely 148Z 48" ZTR
Looking to buy my first tractor for my 2 acres to mow, plow, and well, work with, as well as possibly helping prepping/planting food plots on my parents property a little over a mile away.

Besides physical size and HP, what are some major advantages of the B series as opposed to the BX? Are they all single pumps? I looked briefly, but couldn't find the PTO HP on either? I see the lift capacity on the FEL is much higher (basically double) on the B series as opposed to the BX. Price point wise, obviously the BX wins with the inclusion of the deck and loader valve on most models my local dealer has, but size wise, I really like the B series.

I know I'm leaving out a lot of differences, but can anyone with much more experience explain the major differences between the two or advantages (other than the previously mentioned lift capacity and size) and disadvantages of the two?

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #3  
Good link above.

When I was looking this past spring I started with a riding mower, then to a BX and settled on a B2320 for my 3.5 acres. In a nutshell, to me, the BX was a riding mower (very capable at that) on steriods. The B series was a little baby tractor. Also, the plastic tranny fan on the BX bothered me a lot. You see a lot of people going from the BX to a B but rarely the other way around so I figured I'd try to stick with buying just one machine.

Either way you can't go wrong.

/ Major differences between BX and B series?
Thanks for that link! Great read with some great information.

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #5  
Thanks guys. I still have to update my "review" next few months with some snow plowing stories and comparisons. The BX worked so well in snow, so I don't expect any marked difference, but we shall see.

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #6  
I can't beat the advice you have been given so far and even though a BX fits my needs better, I believe a B would be the right tractor for you.

I like the B Series and went to buy one twice; came home with a BX once and an L another; guess I will never own one.

Of course now which one is the next question.:)

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #7  
One reason that some guys "migrate" from a BX to a larger tractor is that for many, the BX is where they begin, it may be their starting point. What happens? They buy more land, take on more tasks, their interests grows, they gain in confidence, and so they often times, as their tasks change/grow over time, the B just makes more sense to them. Some even go up to an L series or buy cabbed, deluxe models, if their needs require it and their funds allow.

I have another theory too. It involves the wife who perhaps had to be convinced of the need for a tractor but who also grows in her appreciation of what a subcut or cut can do.

That said, if I wasn't market gardening and needing the ground clearance, or I down graded my chores for some unseen reason, I'd have no issues whatsoever in downsizing appropriately to a BX. It is a great machine.

If you gonna have a tractor, too small is no fun, and too big is a joke as well. That's the moral of this story, after all the hoo haw is over.

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #8  
My new B2320 comes this week after trading in my BX2350. I have nothing bad to say about the BX. It did everything well and suprised a lot of "tractor" people. I'll report more after it gets here, but one thing I'm looking forward to is the faster top speed. I only have an acre and 2/3, but mow our half mile roadsides and a some common lands. To get out to the main road seems slow on the BX, Painfully so when I'm in a hurry. The B is no speed demon but it's higher top speed should help ease the pain. If you do a lot of driving to your parents it may be something to think about.

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #9  
The main reason I bought my BX (2660) rather than a B, was the lower center of gravity for working on the slopes as well as percieved better manueverabiliy around/under the trees on my place. I have had it now for approximately 8 months and still feel it's the right machine. Saying that, there have been occasions where more fel capacity would have been appreciated.

/ Major differences between BX and B series? #10  
Good link above.

When I was looking this past spring I started with a riding mower, then to a BX and settled on a B2320 for my 3.5 acres.
1*In a nutshell, to me, the BX was a riding mower on steriods.
The B series was a little baby tractor. Also,
2*the plastic tranny fan on the BX bothered me a lot.
1*Yer a little mixed up on this thought The JD x700s are auctually riding mower on steriods, not the Kubota BXs .
2*There is an after market kit so this is not a problem with the BXs.