Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #91  
Apologies workinonit, can't reply on my end per how you included your question in my quote you posted.

Per the civil war, south wanted to succeed, we had a war, the north won. Didn't see anything outlandish per claims on history, nor was I looking, nor did my boys have a lot of questions pertaining to that time frame.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #92  
It seems like every week now I read of a child under 12 shooting someone and even more often hear of them bringing loaded guns to school. As if we didn't have enough problems with teenage hoodlums and gang members having shootouts in crowds of people, now we even have to worry about 8 year olds.

I couldn't wait till I retired to go more often to some of the great restaurants and lounges in New Orleans and now that I have the time and money to do it, I'm getting to afraid to even go in the city anymore.
i used to go to N.O. for the music and the food. no more. last jazz festival i went to some unlucky middle aged guy got shot in the back of the head, for no reason at all except it was part of an initiation to get into a gang....nice.

last time i went was a couple years ago to see my nephew beat the saints in the last and meaningless game of the season, breeze did not play.

the night before the game we went to the french quarter and the smell was overwhelming! it's worse every time i go. my nephew and his girl friend were both raised in a bubble, insulated and safe. nephew of course couldn't go out but, when we got to one bar his girlfriend was obviously out of her element and didn't stray 6 inches from me.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #93  
I've got to ask, what history are you refering to that schools are changing?

When my boys were in grade school and we helped them with their homework, I've had never seen anything taught in social studies that left me scratching my head thinking "what are they teaching" per history. This was only a couple of years ago.

However, this common core math with basic addition, multiplication and division was beyond stupid IMO and I couldn't understand why they would teach it.

For those of you that don't have kids anymore in school and aren't use to "common core" math, I think this guy kind of nails it using a simple multiplication example IMO how the old method compares to the new method.

My eyes crossed as I was watching that. It took me about 2 seconds to do the math in my head... trying to do that box in my mind every time that I tried to multiply would make my head explode. 😆

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #94  
Here's the map of the world most of you had in school. What's incorrect about this?

99061079-1F6F-436D-A70F-5E1B764C1129.jpeg

It's the Mercator projection. It is greatly distorted, as the farther you get from the equator, the large things appear. So it makes the land area of, say Greenland, look almost the same as Africa. It makes equatorial countries look small when compared to countries that are farther away from the equator.

Until recently, is was still used in most schools. Now they are switching to Equal-area maps like this. They more accurately display the size of land masses.

6DDE6135-2749-4C21-B9B0-38779AC7DCAF.jpeg

So is that re-writing history? Or is it just using more accurate depictions of reality?

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #95  
I used to hunt a fair bit and can attest that their are many classes of 'hunters'.
I classified myself as safe knowledgeable and informed.

BUT there exists one class that simply shoots at anything that moves and even some that they think might move.

Deer hunting I've heard what I assumed was a machine gun of sorts, I left!

Goose hunting, the guy next blind over fired on a bird that I shot as it was dropping in front of my blind! He wanted to claim it!
More than once I've felt pellets raining down.

I don't hunt any more.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #96  
Here's the map of the world most of you had in school. What's incorrect about this?

View attachment 704926

It's the Mercator projection. It is greatly distorted, as the farther you get from the equator, the large things appear. So it makes the land area of, say Greenland, look almost the same as Africa. It makes equatorial countries look small when compared to countries that are farther away from the equator.

Until recently, is was still used in most schools. Now they are switching to Equal-area maps like this. They more accurately display the size of land masses.

View attachment 704928

So is that re-writing history? Or is it just using more accurate depictions of reality?
That's geography not history ;) ... and a problem inherent to trying to depict the surface of a 3D object in a 2D format (learned that in school 😜).

Globes were very useful for given a better perspective though they can be a bit costly to keep current.

The spherical displays that have started coming out in the last few years would be a pretty awesome teaching tool for geography though: PufferSphere® Displays - Exceptional spherical systems from Pufferfish

...granted they aren't exactly cheap at this point (at least from what I've seen).

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #97  
My eyes crossed as I was watching that. It took me about 2 seconds to do the math in my head... trying to do that box in my mind every time that I tried to multiply would make my head explode. 😆
The irony was I told my wife "no problem" when I told her I'd help the kids with basic math. How hard could it be? :ROFLMAO:

I was mumbling a lot of bad words trying to comprehend what this "new" math was. My mistake was assuming that math is math, and as long as you could show how you got the answer, it was right or wrong. BIG mistake on my end.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #98  
Actually what they are doing now is changing history (well after the fact)...just look at a what is being taught to typical public school students...

The victors wrote the history...now it's being re-written to be PC...
So are you saying that there's only one side to any story? I'll venture a guess that the story of "how the west was won" (for example) would differ considerably from the Indians' viewpoint vs the settlers' version. Whose is correct? Most likely the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Apologies workinonit, can't reply on my end per how you included your question in my quote you posted.

Per the civil war, south wanted to succeed, we had a war, the north won. Didn't see anything outlandish per claims on history, nor was I looking, nor did my boys have a lot of questions pertaining to that time frame.
Yet, over 150 years later many southerners still hold grudges against "yankees", none of whose parents/grandparents were born when the civil war took place and many whose ancestors hadn't even immigrated yet!
BTW, it's "secede".

Much as I dislike "PC history", you've got to admit that at best what we got taught in school didn't tell the whole story and was likely quite slanted towards the views of those telling the story. The tricky part is to distill what really happened and to understand the "why" not by today's standards, but by those of the era these events took place.

/ Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #99  
Yet, over 150 years later many southerners still hold grudges against "yankees", none of whose parents/grandparents were born when the civil war took place and many whose ancestors hadn't even immigrated yet!
BTW, it's "secede".
I'm a damn Yankee. Lived in NC for close to 20 years now. Ironcially enough, both sets of my grandparents came off the boat at Ellis Island in the early 1900's to make a better life for themselves AFTER the civil war.

Do I agree with what Abraham Lincoln did per suspending the rights of individuals? NO.

However, at the end of the day, no matter how you cut it, the US involvement in WW1 and WW2 was a noble cause, and the added reality is all those life's cost our country during the civil war was "worth it" IMO in that men should not own other men (the basic reason no matter how you cut it for the right to succession by the south).

The added reality is even after the civil war, laws could not change the way men thought about another man of different skin color.

The irony of slavery is men used the word of God in the Bible to justify slavery during that time.

Last edited:
   / Man shot and killed by juveniles while bush hogging #100  
..... taught in school didn't tell the whole story and was likely quite slanted towards the views of those telling the story.

That's the truth. Growing up in Minnesota I saw how much it was taught that the US Civil War was about slavery (and how much the northern state's involvement in the slave trade was omitted), and from talking to coworkers here in Alabama it seems that in the southern states it was(is?) taught that it was about states rights. ..... and in Missouri the explanation I heard from a parent of a college friend was that after the court decisions were made what really caused it to become a fight/war was the "simple" question of "who's going to pay to implement the court decision?"

Three different perspectives on one event....