Massey 2660HD rear brake issue

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue
Well I’ve had it in for two weeks now. They plan to start on it tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #62  
Well I’ve had it in for two weeks now. They plan to start on it tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.

Nail biting time... I bet it will all be good in the long run. Good to hear from you.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #63  
how did your brake job go? this thread has me scared to buy a 2650 HD for sale locally. its a 2012 model so maybe it came with the upgraded brakes from the factory?

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #64  
Well you can tell instantly by looking at the rear of the tractor. The "bugles" or left and right rear axle housings have notches in them adjacent to the inner bolt pattern showing in the rear that you can put your pinkie finger in. If there are 4 on each side it will not hold you on a 40% grade to stop wheel rotation. If it has 5 notches on each side it has real brakes which are good. Mine were upgraded by my dealer when I bought it new and found out it had ridiculously unsatisfactory brakes. I can give you a hideous list of things wrong with mine NEW (all fixed and now it is a great tractor in my view) . Mine was new in early 2011 and built in 2010 in Brazil as they all were. Let me know if you need more info.

My guess is that if your are looking at a 2012 model it has long ago had the bugs fixed and frankly better than they were new !! It has some very good advantages over later machines including the gold standard of engines -- Perkins 4cyl. , no intrusive Tier IV or whatever anti-pollution crap, etc. Unless it has VERY high hours on it it would be worth a serious look to buy I'd think.

JWR is correct. From my understanding a lot of these issues were resolved in 2011 so I would think most all 2012’s should be ok.

So both rear brakes on mine have now had the improvements. They finished them early last week but then discovered a separate issue. This new problem relates to the master cylinder which I believe was leaking somehow. So they ordered a new one for $500 then a week later this huge box arrives that you could put a large person inside. More to follow in next episode.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #66  
I found a rops version with DL260 and 1400 hours locally for 25k. Front tires are worn down leading me to believe it's seen a life of heavy loader use

1616104499383.png

Last edited:
Could just be just a lot of pavement wear also if he was hitting the roads with it. That wears tires fast.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #68  
That looks almost exactly like mine. I have a MF 2660HD low profile. That one in Maine at first appears to be a low-profile too (having the single step to get up on it) but the rear fenders do not look the same as mine. If it has 30" rear tires it is not a low profile.

This is a grungy picture below cropped to show my tires a bit. This is last summer when it had 450 some hrs on it. The one in Maine's tires don't look bad to me for having 1400 hrs on it. That's 950hrs more than mine at the time of this picture ! Heck, I think mine will be bald by the time i get to 1400hrs ! I spend a fair % of time on steep ground spinning and fighting hills, ruts and brush however. Very little on pavement.

Just noticed: the one you consider buying has a DL260 loader which is a good thing. I've gotten huge use out of my DL250 but have also bent the loader frame doing stupid things with tree stumps (and unbent it the reverse of how I bent it...) I have always wished I had gotten the DL260 which has a little more frame strength and slightly more umph as well.

20200808_095428crop.jpg

Dealer called and said it’s ready. So guess we will see how goes. The big box that cost $500 ended up being a complete brake system with both master cylinders and all tubing and components etc to go along with it. Dealer said normally that would be a way more costly system and was surprised when they opened the box. I assume Massey had so many brake issues with these initial tractors that they decided to issue the complete system at cost or something. This was probably the updated design that came out the following year to correct all the issues of the first year tractors. Anyway, I’m sure the labor will still eat me up so guess we will see Monday. On the plus side the dealer said the brakes feel way better now and are easy to bleed and adjust as before it was almost impossible to bleed them correctly which was the same issue I was having. More to come next week.

/ Massey 2660HD rear brake issue #70  
Good progress. What did they do with the equalization left/right? My dealer defeated that interconnect on mine without my even having to ask. As I recall the equalization limits what you do with wheel brakes.