Metro vs SAE

/ Metro vs SAE #1  

Frankenkubota

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX 5800, SkidPro 4 in 1, Ratchet rake, SkidPro pallet forks
Now that痴 a conversation! Now, try to have a CIVIL OBJECTIVE conversation about it.

My dad had a sign on his desk that said,

don稚 confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.

I知 not going to list the many reasons we should be on the metric system except to say, if you don稚 see the benefits you don稚 understand. If you do see the benefits and still don稚 agree, that痴 common, you are among friends.

2 things.....

1 we inherited our measurement system from the English. They don稚 even use it!

2. The metric system is used in 3 or 4 of the most important areas of your life.

A. Military is 100% metric. Rah rah all you patriots.

B. All those pills we take, pharmaceuticals, metric.

C. Go buy a quart of soda pop, oh yea, that痴 called a 2 liter.

D. Booze. When I was a drinker you bought a quart of whiskey. Now, metric. 76631D85-0FC0-4EC7-A4BB-DD261999B608.jpeg

I could go on and on but, I致e been kicking that dead horse for 40 years.

/ Metro vs SAE #2  
Too bad metric fasteners are not common between countries. They are all different wrench sizes and thread pitches.

USS and SAE were more common and easily identifiable.

Nowadays you have to grab 3 or 4 different wrenches if you don't want to make multiple trips to the tool box.

/ Metro vs SAE #3  
I personally don't care which, but I hate when they use both on the same object or machine. Same for switching between slotted, Phillps, Allen, Hex and Torx.

/ Metro vs SAE #4  
Metric is so far superior it’s not even fun. I get pissed almost daily trying to use the SAE system. If it wasn’t already stupid enough go ahead and throw your 10 inch foot engineer scale in the mix.

/ Metro vs SAE #5  
Too bad metric fasteners are not common between countries. They are all different wrench sizes and thread pitches.

USS and SAE were more common and easily identifiable.

Nowadays you have to grab 3 or 4 different wrenches if you don't want to make multiple trips to the tool box.
There are a std pitch on metric witch all countries are using, fine pitch are not so standardized as UNF. You have DIN, ISO and of course JIS.

DIN is oldest and is quite simple 7,8,10,13,17,19,22,24,27,30 and 32 are the wrench size that are in use. ISO has taken down the size a mm, 19 to 18, 17 to 16 or 15 but not all sizes, mostly the dimension that are most common in production.

/ Metro vs SAE #6  
It's not 3/8 it's 9,5 mm and 1/2 is 12,7 ;)

/ Metro vs SAE #7  
So what's the problem.... I have a American Car Company, truck, assembled in Canada using Chinese parts.....

I use what ever wrench fits bolt or nut or Allen socket head screw or TORX.....

Just be glad you don't own a British car that uses Withworth....

Dale

/ Metro vs SAE #8  
So why is your P metric tire mounted on a 16 inch rim?
Why is your 16mm socket made to fit a 1/2 inch ratchet?
We are supposed to be economizing, and yet, view the truck hp wars.
The US, with the Metric Conversion Act of 1975, was supposed to follow Canada.
And where are we 45 years later? America is kind of clueless with setting policies.

What system are you on in West Uncton ?

/ Metro vs SAE #9  
Kubota tractors use several British hydraulic fittings mixed with JIC and SAE. British thread grease zerks too.

/ Metro vs SAE #10  
All kidding aside, I agree we should be on the metric system and if metric fasteners aren't common between countries they should be.