Mini split questions?

/ Mini split questions? #1  

90cummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1720 SSS 4x4 Turbo Charged
My house has 5 bedrooms & a full bath upstairs. Getting heat upstairs is a problem because the ductwork is by today’s standards too small, uninsulated and runs up an outside cold wall.

I’m thinking a mini split may be my best solution.

I have a full basement 1/2 is heated and the other 1/2 is not.

The un-heated side is fan vented outside year round and the basement temperature is 50~70 year round.

I’m thinking that mounting the compressor in this area would make sense and be more efficient than mounting it outside to extract heat in subzerod temps. (Think geothermal temperature stability)

What are your thoughts?

/ Mini split questions? #2  
My house has 5 bedrooms & a full bath upstairs. Getting heat upstairs is a problem because the ductwork is by today’s standards too small, uninsulated and runs up an outside cold wall.

The un-heated side is fan vented outside year round and the basement temperature is 50~70 year round.

I’m thinking that mounting the compressor in this area would make sense and be more efficient than mounting it outside to extract heat in subzerod temps. (Think geothermal temperature stability)

What are your thoughts?
Have you looked at Rinnai gas fired space heaters ?

/ Mini split questions? #3  
You have 2 locations in your profile. Are you talking about Florida or Massachusetts?

Mini split doesn't make sense to me for 6 rooms. I'd investigate installing air handler (furnace or heat pump) and ducts in attic.

Aa far as compressor in basement, I doubt you fan moves sufficient air to maintain that 50 - 70 degrees once you introduce the huge heal generation of the compressor/condenser.

/ Mini split questions?
Florida Massachusetts

/ Mini split questions? #5  
You have 2 locations in your profile. Are you talking about Florida or Massachusetts?

I think he is in Florida, MA... which I believe in part of Berkshire County, Ma

/ Mini split questions?
I live in the town of Florida in Massachusetts.
zip 01247

/ Mini split questions? #7  

What are your thoughts?

"Low ambient mini splits are specially-designed to operate at very low temperatures. Many can run at 100 percent efficiency down to 0°F and at decreased efficiency down into the negatives. As a result, these can work in many cold climates for much of the year with needing any supplemental heat."

/ Mini split questions? #8  
I live in the town of Florida in Massachusetts.
zip 01247
Thanks. I thought you were a snowbird.

I lived in MA a long time ago and never knew there was a town called "Florida".

/ Mini split questions? #9  
I've had a mini split for several years. They are efficient and work down to 0 degrees. As the temp gets colder the efficiency goes down. You need to know that when the heat is going in the house cold air is being expelled where the mini split unit is mounted. When cold (A/C) air is going in the house hot air is expelled @ the unit. They also have a water drain (for A/C) that drips on the ground. I also have a mini split type hot water tank. Again when heat is going in the tank cold air is expelled in the basement. Ok in the summer, but when winter comes I'm heating the basement and don't want the cold air fighting the boiler. So I shut off the mini split part of the water heater and use it as an electric element only or switch to the domestic heat coil in the boiler.

/ Mini split questions? #10  
I have mini splits, and have had no heat issues even with ambient temps in -20s this year. I purchased a CCHP. Cold Climate Heat Pump.
I have yet to build a shelter to protect like last home.