Mounting tire chains

/ Mounting tire chains
I am surprised to here of something like that.
I could see the front chains increasing the felt diameter of the fronts and pulling the rears faster then they wanted to go,
but I would expect that to be slowly and constantly pulling on the tires.

If you go with either the Trygg or Aqualines for the rears you will be amazed at the grip they provide.

I just mounted up my chains on the old IH574 now both tractors are set in that regard so it should hold the snow off for a while.
It did take me almost an hour today for the two chains getting older I guess;
chains 1 2021.jpg

chains 2  2021.jpg

chains 3 2021.jpg

chains 4 2021.jpg

chains 5 2021.jpg

The most time consuming and aggravating part was climbing on and off the tractor 4-5 times,
move it about 3-4 feet get off and check and spread the chains get back on and repeat.
But it should be done this year till spring.chains 1 2021.jpgchains 2  2021.jpgchains 3 2021.jpgchains 4 2021.jpgchains 5 2021.jpg

/ Mounting tire chains #132  
I just mounted up my chains on the old IH574 now both tractors are set in that regard so it should hold the snow off for a while.

Since there is nothing on the tractor, attachment wise, I gotta ask,,
Do you do something with the 5X4, or are you like me, and just take it out joy riding in the snow?? (y)

:ROFLMAO:

I am SO happy I have 4WD, my IH has NEVER needed chains,, :)

S0ZFHTR.jpg

I admit,, we get "Virginia Snow" ... NOT "New York Snow" ,,,

/ Mounting tire chains
In the winter I hope it just sits backed up to the generator.
If need be it can handle a good sized back blade or the snow blower.
I prefer to use the Branson as it has a cab.
It has handled quite a bit of snow before I got the Branson.
Last year I lost a water pump on the Branson so took it off the blower and used the 574 on an 8 foot blower.
100_4284.JPG
100_4290.JPG

Got these pics when one of my daughters was still living at home, these are over 15 years old.

/ Mounting tire chains #134  
In the winter I hope it just sits backed up to the generator.
If need be it can handle a good sized back blade or the snow blower.
I prefer to use the Branson as it has a cab.
It has handled quite a bit of snow before I got the Branson.
Last year I lost a water pump on the Branson so took it off the blower and used the 574 on an 8 foot blower.
View attachment 725112View attachment 725113

Got these pics when one of my daughters was still living at home, these are over 15 years old.
Ah, the good old days:eek:

/ Mounting tire chains #135  
I have read this thread with interest as this is not how we put tractor chains on. Growing up we had 2-3 tractors that we would put chains on during the winter and our process was always the same. Throw them over the top of the tires, drive forward, latch them, and done. Run them for couple days to clear the rust tighten them up good for the rest of winter. Double o-ring 16.9x30 and 18.4x34 were the common ones. What I cannot vouch for are the 18.4x38's that were used for chopping corn. I have pictures of all 4 tires chained up with an additional tractor pulling. I suspect they were put on the same way just was with 2 people.

If I get back to using chains not sure what method I will try. The tried and true I grew up with or something new that may or may not take me longer. The above poster mentioning getting off tractor 4-5 times to spread chains doesn't sound all that fun.

/ Mounting tire chains
Back when I was growing up that was the way we all installed chains.
This method is much easier especially by yourself.
That said a second person to arrange the chains while one person eases the tractor ahead does make it even nicer.
Those chains in the pics are 18.4x30's my back would not be nice to me if I slung them up on top of the tire to hang them,
it is getting fussy about what I do.

/ Mounting tire chains #137  
Hey! LouNY, I figured out today what cause the right rear tired binding, apparently I forgot to take out enough slack on the tree point. So each time I drove downhill, the boxblade canted to the right catching my chains. Adjust tree point, no more problem.

/ Mounting tire chains
Good to hear you got it figured out, glad nothing got tore up or damaged catching like that.

/ Mounting tire chains #139  
Yeah it all happened in 2Mph speed plowing, so I slid max 1-2 feet. Nothing was mangled or tore up as far as I could tell.

/ Mounting tire chains #140  
Thank you LouNY for posting this. I looked at it last year and my chains went on without any trouble. This year, a year latter, I couldn't quite remember the sequence, (getting older I guess). I looked at it again before installing the chains and boy was it easier than driving over them and muscling them up and over the tires. Thanks again!