Moving Cordwood

/ Moving Cordwood #1  

Henniker

Tractor
Kubota B2710
I have a Kubota B2710 which I love, but here's my problem. My logger dropped a grapple load of wood in front of my garage (the only place he could) so it's difficult to get the cars in/out, and it will be impossible to plow next year. It's at least 3 years worth of wood, so I need to move at least 2/3 of the pile before Fall. So far, I've been doing this by cutting each log in half and I chain each "half-log" to the bucket, and move it to the back yard where it's out of the way. This often involves climbing onto the wood pile to unhook the chains. As you can imagine, this is only marginally safer than Alaskan crab fishing.
My dealer quoted me on a L2501HST tractor with an LA525 loader with "quick release" attachment function, and a Land Pride grapple. With the grapple, I can keep the tractor between me and the wood. Much safer.
It's more than I want to spend, but I also don't want to be maimed or killed because I was too cheap to buy the right equipment.
Does anyone have any experience with this kind of work, or the L2501 (or Lx2501) tractor? I like the "quick-release" attachment idea, but I'm afraid of trading "down" from my B2710. Not sure if the engineering is better, or whether they just made it lighter-duty to cut costs.
Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.
Tractor1.jpg
Tractor2.jpgWood1.jpg

/ Moving Cordwood #4  
Quick attach systems can be added to any loader. Get a pallet fork and you're set.
Or go the fancy way with extra hydraulics and grapple.
If it was me, I wouldn't trade down for that.

/ Moving Cordwood #5  
Don’t want to talk you out of a new tractor but consider:
Converting your current tractor to ssqa?
Drill a hole in bucket side or weld/bolt a shackle mount and use log tongs. You can get pretty good at grabbing, carrying and dropping from the tractor seat.

Grapples are useful and now be hard live without them. hst makes it easier.

/ Moving Cordwood #6  
If Slowpoke Slim's suggestions are impractical, I suggest bucking the logs into lengths short enough to fit into your bucket. You will have to process the logs for firewood anyway. Moving the shorter logs may require more trips, but the shorter logs will not be as unwieldy and will be safer.

A relatively inexpensive and very useful attachnment would be a standard toothbar. Having an edge that extends beyond the sides of the bucket would be handy for working the logs in the pile and would provide a wider (deeper) base for stacking logs in the bucket. I buck logs to firebox length (2' in my case) in the woods for ease of handling (I can roll a 16" diameter x 2' log without a peavey) and can carry 9 such pieces with the toothbar installed as opposed to 3 without the toothbar (6' wide bucket).

/ Moving Cordwood #8  
Quick attach systems can be added to any loader. Get a pallet fork and you're set.
Or go the fancy way with extra hydraulics and grapple.
If it was me, I wouldn't trade down for that.
This seems a lot more practical and less expensive than trading a tractor which you like for a one time job. It would cost about the same as renting, and you will find a decent set of pallet forks are an invaluable asset to your tractor. Note that I said decent... two years ago I bought a cheap Chinese set which is now out back in the scrap metal pile.

/ Moving Cordwood #9  
This is how I manage my firewood (18') logs, and if I were going to just move the pile of logs I'd use the brush forks because they will handle 2 to 3 logs at a time.

KC

Attachments

• 20190730_130843_resized.jpg
    20190730_130843_resized.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 490
  • 20190801_125336.jpg
    20190801_125336.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 479
  • 20190801_125755.jpg
    20190801_125755.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 483
   / Moving Cordwood #10  
I've had good luck using tong moving wood.

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    781.2 KB · Views: 254