Moving up - L3240 or L3940

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940
Because I would bend the snot out of it.:eek:

I see no reason to get a bigger tractor to run the same size equipment, but that's just me.

I run a 4' on our BX, 6' on the 5030 and 10' on the 8540.

I see what you mean - brain fart on my part. :mur: Whole idea is supposed to get more work done in less time.

I never used a 4n1 bucket but it would require a third function on the front to work.They can open to grasp/scrape ect.A grapple or a thumb on the bucket would also require a third function.For my use I added a thumb to my bucket and a tooth-bar,works for me.

Gotcha on the 4in1. Thanks for explaining but doesn't sound like what I want. I do plan on getting the third function for the grapple. The thumb looks good on your bucket!

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #13  
I think the question I would ask myself is how much acreage do you plan to use the brush hog on. If your goal is to cut the time doing some of the tasks then does it really make much sense using an undersized shredder?

That being said I would think about a 6'er. It's going to save the most time and it'll cover the width of the tractor. Then I would try to find reasons, like you were saying working around small trees, that a smaller one would work better. Once I made that choice I would then look at the HP needed, the 3240 will be a little small for a 6' cutter.

I don't think the 3240 is physically much smaller than the 3940. Sit on the two and decide for yourself. I think the tractor would be fine size wise but I would get the HST as it's very controllable. It could be a little large if your landscaping duties happen to be in narrow locations. But chances are it'll feel big at first but once you get some seat time it'll fell right.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #14  
Make sure the L3240 can handle a 6' cutter. To save time and cover tracks trimming to the edge, I think you will want the 6' cutter. I run a 6' behind my L3940, and in everything except 6' tall stuff, it runs with power to spare. The 6' cutter is heavy, makes my front end light, but managable, without FEL on. Philip.

Attachments

• BUSHHOG3.jpg
    BUSHHOG3.jpg
    880.4 KB · Views: 258
   / Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #15  
For my two cents worth, before I purchased I rented a L3240 for a week from our local Kubota dealer. That experience convinced me that I needed the L3940 for the 70 acres and for the work I am doing.

I have the skid steer quick attach with a third function and a grapple bucket which I love with all my heart. Also have a 6 ft box blade and 6 ft shredder and there are times I wish I had a larger one. It is amazing how small a 6 ft shredder can feel and how large the fields can seem to be towards the end of a long day.

Water with sealer in all tires, sun shade and a few other things like a disk harrow, etc and life is good with the little Kubota.

280 hours in two years and I still love her.

Problem is I just moved her over to the 200 acre ranch and she is a bit out of her depth so to speak... We will take it slow and she will be fine.

Good luck, you really can't go wrong.

Mike

Yesterday went and kicked the tires and test drove both tractors. End result was made a deal to purchase the L3940. HST+, FEL, Third function and grapple, 6' shredder, filled R4 tires. A lot to like about both tractors and I think either would have performed the work I've envisioned for the near future.

A couple of things swayed me toward the 3940 over the 3240 besides the obvious HP and capacity increase. One, although dimensionally only a few inches longer and a few inches taller, the ride seemed noticeably smoother. I also felt the 4 cylinder engine was quieter and smoother than the 3 cylinder on the 3240. I suppose there will be a fuel penalty for the extra cylinder and horsepower but I'll never notice since never having owned the 3249 right?:D

Things I really liked -

1. HST+. This system is so versatile yet easy to use. I can see a lot of different applications that will take advantage of it's capabilities.
  2. Position control on the three point. Way better than the 1/4" control on my BX.
  3. Telescoping lower arms on the three point.
  4. Pleasantly surprised at the nimbleness for size. I thought I was going to have to deal with clumsiness (for lack of better word) by moving up to a much bigger tractor than my BX but after driving this I don't see a problem at all.

Well the wait begins. Tires on the way and third function valve on back order. Gonna be a long week.

Last edited:
   / Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #17  
Congrats on the new tractor. The wait is going to be the hardest part. I've been waiting 24 days now for my 5240 and it is brutal, especially with the nice weather we are going to have this week.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #18  
Congratulations, I believe you will be very happy with your selection.

/ Moving up - L3240 or L3940 #19  
That is exciting news, I am sure it will be worth the wait.

A little FYI on the Kubota third function. When I received my tractor from the dealer every hydrolith line they touched leaked and the third function was horribly sticky. If you clicked open it would stick in the open position, if you selected close it would stick on the closed position. You had to keep playing with it to get it unstuck.

That tractor went back to the dealer in Eglin 6 times with no relief to the problem. Switched dealers to one a bit closer in Marble Falls and they tried 4 times. Finally they replaced the unit and it works better but still isn稚 perfect. It also leaks pressure so as you haul from point A to point B you have to keep tapping the close button, hoping it won稚 stick.

They messed with it and the lines so many times that everything under there has a weep about it so it gets a bit nasty and I have to clean it ever few weeks.

With all that said I would never own a tractor without a third function because the grapple makes everything especially cedar tree removal a hundred times easier.

I do a lot of cutting and dropping the tree limbs with the chainsaw then go in and grab up the tree parts and drop into the burn pile. Works like a champ, what a force multiplier.

My point is check it out before you leave the shop. Make sure you run the engine speed up to where you will be grappling (about 1,400 RMP for me) and exercise the darn third function.

There are many posts about this so I am sure there is a basic flaw with the Kubota unit.

I still love it, that is my ONLY complaint

Good luck, Mike

Congrats on the new tractor. The wait is going to be the hardest part. I've been waiting 24 days now for my 5240 and it is brutal, especially with the nice weather we are going to have this week.

Congratulations, I believe you will be very happy with your selection.

Thanks guys. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

A little FYI on the Kubota third function. When I received my tractor from the dealer every hydrolith line they touched leaked and the third function was horribly sticky. If you clicked open it would stick in the open position, if you selected close it would stick on the closed position. You had to keep playing with it to get it unstuck.....

My point is check it out before you leave the shop. Make sure you run the engine speed up to where you will be grappling (about 1,400 RMP for me) and exercise the darn third function.

There are many posts about this so I am sure there is a basic flaw with the Kubota unit.

Good point Mike. I knew from searches on here that this could be a problem. A friend of mine a couple of counties over has the third function on his tractor and doesn't have a problem with it. He's had it approx 4-5 months so that gives me hope that not all of these act up. Also my dealer said they have had these valves on order since Feb and believe they are waiting on the manufacturer. So the optimist in me is hoping maybe Kubota is addressing the issue and has stopped delivering faulty valves and new/improved valves are on the way. I'll let you know how that fantasy goes