Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #21  
In the 60's when I was helping dad we often worked hillsides that I often thought " who was the stupid ***** that bought this place for farming". Later learned my great, great , great grandfather purchased parts of it in 1867. No tractors then, horses didn't care. Dad later told me it was called Hillside Farm.
So what did I do when I had to work or mow the steepest parts? Yep 2 cylinder tricycle tractors !! I was very cautious, slowed down, keep the wheels as wide as possible and kept a sharp eye out for rocks on the upper side and holes on the lower side . One hill when it was needed to mow, set the wheels to max width. I often mowed the meadow with an AC G and would turn the wheels around so the were wide as possible. Even the JD 110 used to mow the "lawn" around the barn and outbuilding had a set of weights, wheels turned out and I sat on the upper fender. Never saw the dirty side, always kept the shiny side up. Just say I really hated plowing down on a steep hill, the lower tire was 8 inches lower in the furrow!!

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #22  
I have to admit that I don’t have any hills in the sense we are talking about them. My tipping experiences are (FEL) load related.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #23  
I have this scary field.
IMG_20230731_132633324_HDR.jpg

It drops 200 feet to the road. Ford 9600 no way, 5600 have to for baling, be very careful, 2810 is almost comfortable, but there are bumps and depressions that are still scary. The taller the tractor the sooner the COG is over the downhill tire, I find!

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #24  
I have several places with a 20 to 23 degree angle that I have sidehill to mow and that’s about as steep as I’d want with my equipment.

I’m sure that specialty equipment would do well with a steeper angle.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #25  
I have this scary field.

Gotta say that is one I would welcome cutting vs what I have or even my neighbors that I sometimes cut. One field steep enough you either wear a seat belt or put your feet on the dash of the tractor to stay in the seat. Although there has been a time or two the pucker factor took a pinch out of the seat pan. As long as the tractor keeps traction it is OK but if it slips then it skates to the bottom.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #28  
On slopes I always go up the slope or down the slope never across the face of the slope....

I go across hills unless I know I could tip. Going uphill/downhill can create ruts, which channel water, then turn into erosion trenches.

I know that contradicts all the engineers and perfectionists here, but I do this for a living. Customers don’t pay or change contractors when you tear-up their property.

I may do headlands up & down, but I connect the headlands by driving across wherever possible. Looks nice when it’s done.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #29  
Good Morning Guys,
Some excellent posts on here already! There are so many variables that go into this equation, it’s almost impossible to give someone a specific answer ! What I have determined though years of mowing on steeper slopes, I will try and mention here !
My property is steep, especially the lower part. I know others on here have stated they go cross slope, I do not, although I could on the higher elevation portion of my property ! For me it seems easier and faster to go up and down the slope !
I also keep my 6 ft FEL lower to the ground especially while making the turn at the bottom of the property! Also be aware of woodchuck holes if you have that critter on your property! They normally don’t last too long around here because of that, 22/250 😁 !
I also bought an angle gage for my Massey, this is just a reminder for me, because I can usually feel the pucker factor before I see red or yellow on the gage !
I also have my rear wheels spaced out wider for more stability!
I’m sure there are others on here that have much more experience than me, but these are some things that have worked for me !
Not sure go slow or no go ! 🙏

Attachments

• 71095511480__17840875-7B27-42D8-875D-03AADDEA423B.jpeg
    71095511480__17840875-7B27-42D8-875D-03AADDEA423B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3186.jpeg
    IMG_3186.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
   / Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #30  
in 74/75 I worked for the County main job mowing River Banks, Levies, & Lake Dams I dove an IH 565 gas, the had a 4000 ford, Rear Drive Tractors (4X4 would have been Great) Wheels turned Backwards to get Spacing Required to stay on Slope both pulling 15' mowers, for the most part worked well stayed on hill side Brake, Kept Carburetor on up side (if Carburetor down Flooding) ruff ground you slide down hill, to Wet or to Dry Sliding, we would turn up hill, Care should be taken or you find your Self in the Water!

Last edited: