Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #41  
View attachment 814684
As an alternative to the more expensive commercial mowers on the market, I highly recommend the Cub Cadet Pro Z with 4 wheel steering.

I can safely and confidently mow 20-30 degrees hills and do so on a regular basis on my property.

Mike

Is that mowing up and down or across?

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #42  
Is that mowing up and down or across?
Side mow, across.

My smaller back hill is over 30 degrees and I sometimes get a little slip from the rear tires but the mower never gets off direction.

This is with my commercial Pro Z model. They’re heavy. I don’t have any experience with the lighter residential units but, I’ve read good reviews about those too.

Mike

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #43  
Local cub dealer is one of the largest cub dealers in Tennessee. They told me they havent been able to get but a few of the largest cub units with the dual wheels. They said they sell as soon as they come in.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #44  
I still think I’m a fan of the Ventrac more so than the Power-Trac.

I love the Ventracs, too. Fit/finish is more refined/polished that the industrial look of the Power-Trac. Site says their dual wheel unit will mow “slopes up to 30*”. That’s prolly as much as I could ever have managed….so I’d be happy to leave the Power-Trac and someone else operating it to get the extra 15* that the P-T offers. 😊

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #45  
Sometimes 45 degrees doesn't compute in my brain. So I often refer to this method. It works for just about everyone, so try it if you haven't. Kinda fun. Just substitute your height for mine.

I'm 6' tall.
I face a wall and put my toes 6' from the wall.
I look straight ahead.
The point on the wall where my vision hits is about 45 degrees from the tip of my toes.
Think you can drive up that?
How about across that?
Heck, most folks can't even walk up that without using their hands in front of them.

That's steep. 🙃

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #46  
Local cub dealer is one of the largest cub dealers in Tennessee. They told me they havent been able to get but a few of the largest cub units with the dual wheels. They said they sell as soon as they come in.

Last time I visited my Cub dealer they had two in stock. The dual wheel Pro Z's are a BEAST!!!

I'm absolutely thrilled with the performance of my Pro Z 560 S KW. They are built like tanks!

Mike

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #47  
Sometimes 45 degrees doesn't compute in my brain. So I often refer to this method. It works for just about everyone, so try it if you haven't. Kinda fun. Just substitute your height for mine.

I'm 6' tall.
I look straight ahead.
The point on the wall where my vision hits is about 45 degrees from the tip of my toes.
How about across that?
Heck, most folks can't even walk up that without using their hands in front of them.

That's steep. 🙃

I don’t usually agree with you, but in this case, you are correct.

45* is very steep.

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #48  

I'm 6' tall.
I look straight ahead.
How about across that?

That's steep. 🙃
I tried to imagine this from an engineering perspective. It didn’t work. I understand what you mean but your explanation was a little off. If you’re facing a wall and put your toes 6’ from the wall then your body would create the imaginary line you’re describing. Otherwise when you look straight ahead your head would either be cocked back or you would be looking at the base of the wall.
Ha! I think we were all able to make sense of what you meant though. This might be easier…

IMG_3462.png

IMG_3461.png

/ Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #49  
Here is a picture of my TC45DA pulling a Woods C114 on the back side of our pond dam a 20 to 24 degree slope and it feels steep.

I have mowed this since 2009 with no real issues using a IH 424 and this TC45DA with Ford 917 flail and this Woods C114.

I also mow the same slope around the pond in places.

Piles of fresh cut loose grass can make it slippery.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpeg
    IMG_3407.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 92
   / Mowing on slopes maximum angle before tip #50  
I realize this is not a definitive answer, rather some items to consider: A tractor will overturn once the center of gravity falls outside plane of the support points, i.e. the contact point of rear tires and the front pivot. This can vary widely depending on machine, and the loads it carries. Another danger is simply sliding off the slope until encountering an obstacle, which can overturn the machine, or collision damage/injury. Also, as some have pointed to, keep speeds very low, since a sudden change in slope due to dropping a lower side wheel into a hole, or upper wheel onto a higher surface, such as a rock or stump, can overturn the tractor by the change in momentum. I have installed level gage (Amazon.com) in my Kubota L4240. This provides a measurable, repeatable indication of the slope I am on.

Last edited: