My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,271  
Oh, forgot to mention "jam switches". Every lighted closet including the pantry should have jam switches. Greatest invention ever.

Yes. The switch is a push button located in the door jamb, hinge side. Open the door, light on. Close the door, light off. Genius!!!!

Wow. I never found them hard to install at all. I ran the wire just like for a normal switch. Carpenter installed door. I cut in switch hole and hooked it up. If your carpenter charges you $100 to install one you might need to change carpenters. :)

So installation with a drill, oscillating cutter and a chisel (for the faceplate)? Not the hardest thing to do, but kind of futsy (see the 3 minute mark of this video)

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,272  
The low voltage switch seems easier to install, but I see fewer of them to buy. See at the 5:30 mark.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,273  
We use the switch plate timers all the time. We program outside lights to come on/off at dusk/dawn in front and back.

Even I can program those guys!

The outdoor outlets are also on switch plate timers and that works great at Christmas.

My only other suggestion is to have lots of outdoor lighting. We use outdoor lighting (especially in the back) a lot. The screen porch us in constant use.

MoKelly

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,274  
How lazy do we need to get ? My goodness, what effort does it take to turn a normal light switch off and on. What,s next, and app on your phone, so you can do it remotely ? There is a reason, north americans are getting fatter, and fatter. Reaching for a light switch is probably the most exercise some folks get. Don,t take that away from them. LOL
It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. It is about convenience. Do you have a door with a jamb switch?

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,275  
Now - if someone could invent an app to close the refrigerator door after my son sweeps in and out!!!!

MoKelly

Mine beeps if left open too long.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,277  
My wife wishes she had an app (or a husband) that put the toilet seat down.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,278  
I have an app to control lights because 2 yrs ago I couldn’t walk and was using a wheelchair. It was nice to get in bed, then turn the lights off with my app.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,279  
It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. It is about convenience. Do you have a door with a jamb switch?
We had our house built in 1980. Every closet has a light switch. Zero effort or inconvenience required to flip the switch on, or off, but it does require a bit of effort to lift the left or right arm to flip the switch. LOL

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #2,280  
The house I grew up in was built by my dad in the 50's, and it had jamb switches in a couple small closets. I built my house without them though. They are definitely handy, but if you leave the door slightly open the light stays on. That's not always noticed during the day. I also would not use them in bedrooms where you might not want a light coming on when someone is sleeping.