My Tractor Mechanic is not happy

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #41  
With diesel so much more expensive than gas this year, I am thankful to still have an old gas tractor. Most years, the higher efficiency of a diesel gives it the edge. Depending on the operation, I have got more acres per fuel dollar out of my gas tractor this spring.
AE54D6C0-EE37-4D64-98D4-61E9D0670A88.jpeg

I certainly wouldn’t waste money on ethanol free gas for an old tractor like that, unless you use it very infrequently. I have always run the cheapest 87 octane, 10 % ethanol blend I can find in my 1951 Ford 8n and I have not had a carburetor issue with it.

I did give her a valve job years ago, as the oem valves didn’t hold up to unleaded gas very well. The “hardened” replacements have done just fine on the cheap gas over the 1500 hours I have put on the old girl since then.

I do spring for the extra 50 cents a gallon, ethanol free gas for my infrequently used engines including outboard boat motors, chainsaws, log splitter, and power washer. My lawn mowers also get the cheapest ethanol gas I can find and I haven’t had any carburetor issues with them.

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #42  
If the mower deck doesn't have a slip clutch I'd look into what it would take to put one in.

Otherwise the only concerns tp have are the same with anything that old.

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #44  
YUP! sell what you don't need get gas!

Tractor supply has this:
Weasler Universal Friction Clutch, 1-3/8 in., 6 Spline Both Ends, 560-6006

Weasler Universal Friction Clutch, 1-3/8 in., 6 Spline Both Ends, 560-6006

SKU: 27121199
Product Rating is 4.7

4.7(43)

$224.99​

I can remember when I was stationed in Gaeta
Italy I purchased a set of points top and bottom
of points were over a half inch thick when I got
back to the states there was barely any metal to
them at all. These were for a 1967 VW bug and
the total cost for the bug & including shipping was
$1375.00 price of bug in us $2495.

willy

/ My Tractor Mechanic is not happy #45  
Oliver Super 55 Power
Drawbar (claimed):23.3 hp
17.4 kW
PTO (claimed):32.65 hp
24.3 kW
Drawbar (tested):29.60 hp
22.1 kW
Belt (tested):34.39 hp
25.6 kW
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
Brakes:mechanical disc
Open operator station.
Transmission:6-speed unsychronized gear
Dimensions
Length:120 inches
304 cm
Height:71 inches
180 cm
Operating weight:3,400 lbs
1542 kg
Ballasted weight:5,500 lbs
2494 kg
Front tread:48 to 76 inches
121 to 193 cm
Rear tread:48 to 76 inches
121 to 193 cm
I don't know where that information comes from? We had an Oliver 60 on the land here for many years and it was a gated 6 speed gearbox with front wheels on a beam axle. Figures for that tractor suggested 16 horses. We put that to work mercilessly and by the powers it did the work without reserving any ferocity or capability. A four cylinder petrol engine that was not a big capacity and sans hydraulic. We had mechanical implements either built or bought. It would pull stumps out of the ground with a stout chain and a bit of a run up. My father sold that eventually and I was very sorry we did. Hydraulics cam next but the implements are a ***** to mount sometimes to 3 pt. Eventually I bought a 40 horse Iseki. It's good but do ya believe this? I still long to have the old Oliver back.