Need Commander 6000 info

/ Need Commander 6000 info #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
Hello All,

I have recently traded an old truck I had for a mid-60's Ford Commander 6000 tractor with the select-o-speed tranny. The former owner drove it to my house, but the hyd lift system and brakes are not working. It is my understanding that this tractor uses a accumulator tank and hyd pump type system to operate these things, any one have any advice for me?

The tractor seems to run ok, shifts ok, they fella I got it from used it sparingly, it's a big tractor. Huge, since I grew up on a MF135. I need to check for proper operation of the intake heater/glow plugs system, doesn't start w/o ether, and I don't like to use that on my diesels.

I just signed up with this BB forum, I'll list my info in my sig soon, but for now....

I'm in New Martinsville West Virginia, south of Wheeling WV.

Thanks for any info anyone might have...

Greg Hughes AKA dieselcrawer

/ Need Commander 6000 info #2  
ok ive got a question for you.can you raise an lower your 3pt lift arms.since you have no brakes on the tractor.im betting that the hydro pump is out on the 6000.talk to manchinic an see if he will help you with the tractor.the hydro pump needs overhauling from the sound of things.my dad has overhauled the hydro pumps a few times.but he is gone so i cant ask him qs on things ive forgotten.

/ Need Commander 6000 info #4  
I hope the probs are in non tranny related areas... as the linked post will show.. the 6000 is ford's red headed stepchild.

yes.. the hyds used an accumulator so you could have limited use of the lift after shutdown..

soundguy

/ Need Commander 6000 info #5  
Ag's version of the EDSEL! it might have value to ford collectors, if it has the right sequence of paint jobs.:D

/ Need Commander 6000 info #6  
The other thread was quite interesting, I had heard very little about the SOS tranny.
There's a 1961 6000 on ebay right now in Indiana. Claims to be a low hour rig.:rolleyes:

/ Need Commander 6000 info #7  
Low hour...I bet. most of them had to be low hour due to the highly reliable transmission ford put in them...

soundguy

/ Need Commander 6000 info
My 6000 is one of the blue ones, and the lift arms don't work, as well as the brakes. I will be looking into the accumulater once I get it starting/running ok. Powersteering seems to work, looks like it uses the same hyd fluid supply tank, but has it's own pump?

Thanks for your replies.

Greg

/ Need Commander 6000 info #9  
dieselcrawler said:
My 6000 is one of the blue ones, and the lift arms don't work, as well as the brakes. I will be looking into the accumulater once I get it starting/running ok. Powersteering seems to work, looks like it uses the same hyd fluid supply tank, but has it's own pump?

Thanks for your replies.

Greg

All of the original red 6000's were recalled and "fixed" and when done they were returned painted blue so there "shouldn't" be any red 6000's left but we know how recalls go:rolleyes:

Good luck with your tractor. Regardless of their history they are a unique tractor that I would love to own some day.

/ Need Commander 6000 info #10  
I show the PS pump for the 6000 as P/N

C3NN3A674A PUMP, HYDRAULIC Pump Assy., Power Steering, Years: 01/01/1961-12/31/1967

C7NN3A674K PUMP, HYDRAULIC Pump Assy., Power Steering, 1100 P.S.I.-287 U.S. Gal. at 1,000 R.P.M., L/External Gear, Includes: Ref. 1 thru 36, Start Year: 04/01/1967

C7NN3A674K PUMP, HYDRAULIC Body, Power Steering Pump, Replaces C5NN-3N591-C, Start Year: 04/01/1967

As for resv, I show the following:

D2NN3531B TANK Reservoir Assy., Power Steering Pump, Replaces C5NN-3531-B, Includes: Body & Ref. 2 thru 10, Start Year: 04/01/1967

C5NN3N577B Body & Bracket Assy., P.S. Pump Reservoir, Start Year: 04/01/1967

C7NN3N538A FILTER, ELEMENT Element, P.S. Pump Oil Reservoir Filter, Replaces C5NN-3N538-B, Start Year: 04/01/1967

soundguy