Need to change input/output shaft direction

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction #1  

EldoMike

Tractor
Toro 325-D, Ransomes Jaguar 6000
I purchased a Hanson 52" snowblower attachment with no or very low hours...

My Ransomes Jaguar PTO shaft rotates in a clockwise direction....that goes into the Hanson gear box and comes out counter clockwise....

I need the output to be clockwise so the blower fan and auger spin correctly...

Check my pictures...I opened up the gear box and I need suggestions on how I can get that clockwise direction...

Should I pull the gears and go with a couple of sprockets & chain?...can that be done?....will it hold up for residential use at just my home?....

Is there a different gear box I could purchase to get the job done?...

I wish it was a one to one ratio because I would just mount the PTO directly to the fan/auger shaft....

I'm open to any ideas...

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• IMG_5688[1].JPG
    IMG_5688[1].JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5689[1].JPG
    IMG_5689[1].JPG
    280.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_5680[1].JPG
    IMG_5680[1].JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_5676[1].JPG
    IMG_5676[1].JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5677[1].JPG
    IMG_5677[1].JPG
    241 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5682[1].JPG
    IMG_5682[1].JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 207
   / Need to change input/output shaft direction #2  
You need 3 gears or chain/belt drive to reverse it.

I would also examine the pto drive to see if it could be reversed easier.

Bruce

Here's a Jaguar photo. is yours like this?

jaguar.jpg

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction #3  
Looking at the photo of the open gear box I believe you could simply couple to the upper shaft that the larger gear is mounted on.

That would be providing the speeds are matched OK.
As it is presently there is about a 40-50% speed reduction as well as a reversing function.
I'd presume that the blower is a modified standard 500 RPM blower modified for front coupling on a small CUT from a crankshaft drive.
The unit seems to be an 'add on' affair.

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction
Thanks Bruce,

Here's my Ransomes....mine is a Jaguar 6000...

The hanson blower I have on the machine now is tired and the fan is way undersized for the shoot...Somebody at some point just stuck a fan on that they had on hand....

Would a couple of pulleys and a belt handle the snow load without slipping?

I haven't looked at how easy it would be to change the direction of the PTO from the transmission....

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_5690[1].JPG
    IMG_5690[1].JPG
    267 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5691[1].JPG
    IMG_5691[1].JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5692[1].JPG
    IMG_5692[1].JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_5693[1].JPG
    IMG_5693[1].JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Looking at the photo of the open gear box I believe you could simply couple to the upper shaft that the larger gear is mounted on.

That would be providing the speeds are matched OK.
As it is presently there is about a 40-50% speed reduction as well as a reversing function.
I'd presume that the blower is a modified standard 500 RPM blower modified for front coupling on a small CUT from a crankshaft drive.
The unit seems to be an 'add on' affair.
The gears really reduce the speed of the input to the fan/auger.....that would be easiest to do is attach my PTO directly to the upper shaft.....wouldn't that spin way too fast?

Mike

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction #6  
It would be helpful to know the operating RPM the your Jaguar and the intended RPM for the blower.

Bruce

It would be helpful to know the operating RPM the your Jaguar and the intended RPM for the blower.

Bruce
I have the manuals for both the Ransomes & the Hanson....I'll check for operating rpms....The Hanson manual doesn't tell me much though..

Mike

I found the Ransomes PTO RPM at full speed....it's 3500 rpms....what does this rpm have to be knocked down to for the snow blower?.....I don't have and I can't find what the Hanson rpm speed should be....

Sprockets and chain will give me the proper direction and the sizes of those sprockets will give me the proper rpm at the fan...

Mike

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction #9  
Solving this depends a lot on your mechanical abilities and the equipment available. A chain reverser is fairly easy. Had to do that on my fel mounted blower. A few pics are on the interweb, modify to suit your application.

I'm the original poster here....I have a PTO on my Ransomes that spins clockwise and the original gear box reverses that to a counter clockwise rotation....

The newer snow blower I bought needs a clockwise rotation for the blower fan to scoop and throw the snow out of the chute.....

What's the worse that could happen?....I jumped in to try and come up with a way to get this blower to work.....

Sprockets and chain looks like the way to go.....

I started with a piece of cardboard as a temp-let that I'll be able to transfer to a piece of steel plate to hold the sprockets, gears and the chain....see pictures

Attachments

• IMG_5679[1].JPG
    IMG_5679[1].JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_5688[1].JPG
    IMG_5688[1].JPG
    250.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5720[1].JPG
    IMG_5720[1].JPG
    214 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_5882[1].JPG
    IMG_5882[1].JPG