Need to change input/output shaft direction

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction
More pictures of the work.....I transferred the cardboard templet to the steel plate....started to mount the bearings on the front and the back of the plate...4 total needed...they are flange mounted bearings.....

Mounted gears....1" bore....1/4" key....hooked up the chain.........Sprockets, bearings and a 10' length of chain were fairly cheap...with the sprockets I used, I think it might have been $100, maybe a little more

Attachments

• IMG_6027[1].JPG
    IMG_6027[1].JPG
    212 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_6093[1].JPG
    IMG_6093[1].JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6099[1].JPG
    IMG_6099[1].JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6103[1].JPG
    IMG_6103[1].JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6104[1].JPG
    IMG_6104[1].JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6105[1].JPG
    IMG_6105[1].JPG
    270.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_6096[1].JPG
    IMG_6096[1].JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_6098[1].JPG
    IMG_6098[1].JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I was concerned about the speed of the fan & auger....I looked at the old blower when it was off the machine....

I hand spun the input shaft and for every time the fan went around once the input shaft spun (2 1/2) times....

I thought....I have to duplicate that speed with the sprockets and chain......I measured the old gears and tried to come up with the right size sprockets....

After some trial and error, I'm close to the speed I need....the new speed is just a little faster than the old blower.....

How long will my setup last?.....my machine just does one large paved driveway.....fingers crossed it won't grenade on me the first storm.....

Mike

Last edited:
   / Need to change input/output shaft direction #13  
Looks like about 6.4 to 1 reduction. On mine it's just a reversal of direction. So far, using # 60 chain, mine has lasted all winter. On the last day of blowing it tossed a bearing on the quick change plate due to pressure from the shaft. My fault for pulling back on the curl too much. May look at a way to limit that movement in the fall. Will you install a tensioner on the slack side of the chain? Keep posting.

Thanks Metal, can you post a link to where on this website your work was done....I need to see how you did yours and how far away mine is from that....

I'm using a 50 chain....I have enough room on the plate to mount another sprocket or a tension-er....no plans yet for that.....do I need it??

While I got you guys, I'm sure this has been covered before here in this forum.....the auger, are both sides matched in rotation?...

This new blower came in with the auger sides set at different rotation points (see pictures)....

On my old blower the auger was set at the same point on both sides (see pictures)...

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6097[1].JPG
    IMG_6097[1].JPG
    269.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6098[1].JPG
    IMG_6098[1].JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_6110[1].JPG
    IMG_6110[1].JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_6112[1].JPG
    IMG_6112[1].JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6075[1].JPG
    IMG_6075[1].JPG
    294.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6072[1].JPG
    IMG_6072[1].JPG
    301.4 KB · Views: 91
   / Need to change input/output shaft direction #15  
Don't know about posting links, old guy syndrome. Posted here last fall, a search should bring it up. You're shaft center to center looks like you might be able to adjust the bottom bearing a bit for chain tension. Sometimes short link will also work. My blower is 66 inch on a Massey 1742.

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction #16  
My JD F-935 snowblower also needs the input shaft reverser, so JD has one that does the job on the 47 Blower. Mounts solidly to the front pickup arms and then a short shaft to the main auger drive.

BTW: I got a 3:1 gear reverser with std 540 pto spline end that I mounted to the mower deck. I swap the driver shaft from the mower to this gearbox and I run a WinPower 25kw alternator off of it. Oddly enough, the 540 output goes the 'wrong' way, but the WinPower doesn't care.

I finished up the service/maintenance of the Ransomes Jaguar....(oil change, grease, filters etc..) and the change over of the new snow blower from the old.....Now we wait for snow....

One thing I added to the blower that probably won't grenade is the shovel I attached to the blower box....$12 for the shovel at Lowes and $18 for the rubber Quick Fists attachment clamps.....

Maybe I should have split the point of the shovel up about 2-3 inches and fold the ends over to act more like a scoop or a hoe....because this shovel is there to scoop out the chute if it clogs....

Also while you guys are looking here, can somebody weigh in on the auger being lined up with each other or not.....or does it even matter.....

Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• IMG_6120[1].JPG
    IMG_6120[1].JPG
    290.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6118[1].JPG
    IMG_6118[1].JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_6119[1].JPG
    IMG_6119[1].JPG
    284.7 KB · Views: 92
   / Need to change input/output shaft direction #18  
I finished up the service/maintenance of the Ransomes Jaguar....(oil change, grease, filters etc..) and the change over of the new snow blower from the old.....Now we wait for snow....

One thing I added to the blower that probably won't grenade is the shovel I attached to the blower box....$12 for the shovel at Lowes and $18 for the rubber Quick Fists attachment clamps.....

Maybe I should have split the point of the shovel up about 2-3 inches and fold the ends over to act more like a scoop or a hoe....because this shovel is there to scoop out the chute if it clogs....

Also while you guys are looking here, can somebody weigh in on the auger being lined up with each other or not.....or does it even matter.....

Thanks, Mike
Most blowers require 180deg./ alternate. Had mine lined up on my Bercomac by mistake and it was noticeable.

Joe H.

/ Need to change input/output shaft direction #20  
I hope this machine works for you. We had a Jacobson at work. You could either steer it or blowsnow..never both as it wasn't weighted properly.