New Impact Wrench

/ New Impact Wrench #1  

Indian Territory

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland PowerStar 75
I got a new impact wrench for Christmas. It's a Dewalt high torque max xr with a 1/2 inch drive. Real world numbers put it at right around 895 foot pounds.

I've needed one for a long time, but have always found something more urgent to spend my money on. Up until now I've been a stand-on-the-wrench kind of operator, now and again fitting a come-along into my Rube Goldberg setup on really stubborn bolts. I'm glad to have graduated!

But my question is, just how much capacity do I need in the real world, and will this model do the job? While I've now and again tinkered with an actual tractor (tire spacing, etc.), almost all the work I do myself is on implements—both building and adjusting them. We don't use Nebraska-sizes planters or anything, but I do have several cat. II implements in the 2,000–3,000 pound range that we put to work on the strawberry acreage. I've got a 10' Maschio Tigre flail mower, a 7' Maschio C tiller, a Rain Flo 2670 raised bed maker and plastic mulch layer, etc.

So my question is, am I set up or do I need something even bigger? Oh, and is Dewalt the one to have? How does it compare to a Milwaukee?

Thanks for the advice.

/ New Impact Wrench #2  
If you're using it for vehicle lugnuts, and general tractor and implement work...I can't imagine it not being enough. I got the Milwaukee M18 high torque a few years ago, and there hasn't been anything I've used it for that it couldn't handle. The only downside was it's size. It was too bulky for some tasks. The M18 mid torque was on sale last year, so I jumped on it. Haven't had a real chance to use it except 1 Jeep tire. That had plenty of power.

I'm not sure DeWalt impact sizes, but if it is a full/high torque like you say...I can't imagine it not being enough. I watch torque test channel on YouTube. I believe that's a highly rated model if memory serves correctly... Congrats on the new toy to make jobs easier!

/ New Impact Wrench #3  
I bought the same DeWalt wrench as a birthday present for myself last year. It handles tractor & truck lug nuts with no problem. It appears to apply the same amount of torque that I can with a standard breaker bar.

So far, the only thing it wouldn't do was remove the spindle bolts from my 3pt mower. They were factory installed and I needed to use a breaker bar with a length of pipe to get them loose. Not sure why they were installed that way. I now use the DeWalt wrench to install & remove them and have not had any come loose.

I have both Milwaukee and DeWalt tools but only the DeWalt torque wrench. The other tools I have seem comparable. I suppose both brands have their good and bad points.

/ New Impact Wrench #4  
I got a new impact wrench for Christmas. It's a Dewalt high torque max xr with a 1/2 inch drive. Real world numbers put it at right around 895 foot pounds.

I've needed one for a long time, but have always found something more urgent to spend my money on. Up until now I've been a stand-on-the-wrench kind of operator, now and again fitting a come-along into my Rube Goldberg setup on really stubborn bolts. I'm glad to have graduated!

But my question is, just how much capacity do I need in the real world, and will this model do the job? While I've now and again tinkered with an actual tractor (tire spacing, etc.), almost all the work I do myself is on implements—both building and adjusting them. We don't use Nebraska-sizes planters or anything, but I do have several cat. II implements in the 2,000–3,000 pound range that we put to work on the strawberry acreage. I've got a 10' Maschio Tigre flail mower, a 7' Maschio C tiller, a Rain Flo 2670 raised bed maker and plastic mulch layer, etc.

So my question is, am I set up or do I need something even bigger? Oh, and is Dewalt the one to have? How does it compare to a Milwaukee?

Thanks for the advice.
I have the 60V 1/2” big impact and it’ll bust 22.5” rim lug nuts or bush hog blade bolts. I have been very happy with it. I do think DeWalt needs a lineup of cordless 3/4” and even 1” impacts.

/ New Impact Wrench #5  
NEVER tighten anything bolt wise with an impact wrench, loosening is fine however. Always use a torque wrench to tighten any critical fastener as you have no idea how much tightening torque an impact wrench is producing. Real simple

/ New Impact Wrench #6  
NEVER tighten anything bolt wise with an impact wrench, loosening is fine however. Always use a torque wrench to tighten any critical fastener as you have no idea how much tightening torque an impact wrench is producing. Real simple
Yup.

Start by hand, snug w/impact, finish w/torque wrench.

/ New Impact Wrench #7  
Dewalt high torque max xr with a 1/2 inch drive.
Which one?
There are several which claim about that amount of torque or more and different web sites report numbers around that.
I had needed a high impact and I'm invested in DeWalt 20V/flexvolt. So last summer I bought the DCF900 (w/5AH batt, charger and case) IMMEDIATELY when it went on sale for $200. No Analysis, just slam the credit card down.
Now after I got it I'm also wanting a mid-range, the 900 is heavy after a bit of use and I usually don't need THAT much torque, most of my use I got by with my 887. But that didn't even cut it with bolts on the truck tires. :)

/ New Impact Wrench #8  
Your impact will be fine, it will be great on farm equipment, tractors and trucks. If I was starting over buying power tools I would go with Milwaukee Tools over DeWalt but I have alot of DeWalt 18V and 20V tools so I'll just stick with them. That exact impact you have is the one on my radar, but my old 18V just won't die (and it also doesn't have near the torque capacity that your new one has).

/ New Impact Wrench #9  
That DeWalt sounds Comparable to the Milwaukee 18V Model 2767 Impact wrench I have and it has been a great addition, possibly the most frequently used tool. I have used to remove lugnuts with ease on many times, It is perfect for swapping out ZT mower blades in seconds (Mine and my Dad's). I used it to remove brush hog blades so I could put on anti-seize.
I was struggling to get the anode out of a water heater and using a big ratchet I was turning the water heater and had no way to stop it then I thought of the Milwaukee, had it out in a second! It's so handy it stays in the Truck so that it's always with me for any trailer I might pull.

/ New Impact Wrench
Which one?
There are several which claim about that amount of torque or more and different web sites report numbers around that.
I had needed a high impact and I'm invested in DeWalt 20V/flexvolt. So last summer I bought the DCF900 (w/5AH batt, charger and case) IMMEDIATELY when it went on sale for $200. No Analysis, just slam the credit card down.
Now after I got it I'm also wanting a mid-range, the 900 is heavy after a bit of use and I usually don't need THAT much torque, most of my use I got by with my 887. But that didn't even cut it with bolts on the truck tires. :)
Cool. Yeah I also have the 900.