New Starter for 422

/ New Starter for 422 #1  

Frank Sorbello

Gold Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT-422
I have a 1999 PT-422 with a rebuilt Robin 22hp engine. Engine has been running good and strong. Just starting seems to be its biggest problem, even in the warmer temperatures.

How difficult is it to change out the starter? I am not sure I can fit my hands into the tub where the starter is to remove it and put a new one back in.

My other question, is there a stronger starter than the original one that comes with the 22hp Robin?

Thanks
Frank

/ New Starter for 422 #2  
Robin gave me a free starter to replace my original one. It is supposed to be more powerful, but I can't see any difference.

/ New Starter for 422 #3  
My other question, is there a stronger starter than the original one that comes with the 22hp Robin?

Here is the parts manual from Robin America.

http://www.subarupower.com/media/manuals/130240717824545000.pdf

On page #37 & 39 it shows two different versions ("old" and "New"):

old: PN#263-70501-00 STARTING MOTOR
new: PN#263-70502-A0 STARTING MOTOR

Plugging those part numbers into jackssmallengines, we get the following choices:

old version: $290 Robin/Subaru 2637050100 STARTER NLA 4/99
new version: $317 Robin/Subaru 26370502A0 STARTER STD

There is also a link to a service bulletin, which describes changing from the old version, to the new version. New starter, new wiring harness, new solenoid.
Robin/Subaru 2637050100 STARTER NLA 4/99

Note that this says all engines manufactured after Jan 1999 have the "new version", so you may or may not have the "new" motor style depending on when PT sourced the motor.

Note that there is someone selling the 263-70502-A0 (new) starter on ebay for $70.

/ New Starter for 422
Thanks for the information. How do I find out the year of the engine?
My Power Trac is a 1999 machine.

/ New Starter for 422 #5  
There should be a serial number on the engine somewhere. That should be able to be crossed to a year of manufacture.

/ New Starter for 422
I bought a new starter last month but haven't had time until today to swap it out. However, unable to get to the two bolts on the side of the old starter.

So far, I removed the muffler, battery cables, left rear tire, PTO solenoid. There are two 3/8" holes on the tub in proximity to where the starter is. I drilled the top hole to about 5/8" of an inch so I may be able to see with a light.

I though about removing the left rear wheel motor to see if could get my had up through the hole to possibly find the lower bolt on the starter. If any of you have ever change a starter out, I sure would appreciate any input. My Power Trac is a 1999 422 with a 22 hp Robin.

Thanks
Frank

/ New Starter for 422 #7  
I bought a new starter last month but haven't had time until today to swap it out. However, unable to get to the two bolts on the side of the old starter.

So far, I removed the muffler, battery cables, left rear tire, PTO solenoid. There are two 3/8" holes on the tub in proximity to where the starter is. I drilled the top hole to about 5/8" of an inch so I may be able to see with a light.

I though about removing the left rear wheel motor to see if could get my had up through the hole to possibly find the lower bolt on the starter. If any of you have ever change a starter out, I sure would appreciate any input. My Power Trac is a 1999 422 with a 22 hp Robin.

Thanks
Frank

I changed one out on my 2000 422. I remember it took me a long time. My memory is not very good, so please forgive if my comments don't help. Did you remove the air diverter sheet metal piece just above the starter. Also I vaguely remember removing the bolts connecting the engine compartment tub to the motor mount. Then you are able to slide the engine over a little and get more clearance. I think I also removed partly the plastics engine cooling fan shroud. I hope this is helpful.

/ New Starter for 422
I talked to Terry today. He said all I would need to do is unbolt the engine stand from the frame and then hoist the engine up high enough to remove the starter.

Upon further review, I believe the gas tank and bracket, muffler also have to be removed.

He said theyI shouldn't have to disconnect any hydraulic lines to replace the starter.

/ New Starter for 422 #9  
I talked to Terry today. He said all I would need to do is unbolt the engine stand from the frame and then hoist the engine up high enough to remove the starter.

Upon further review, I believe the gas tank and bracket, muffler also have to be removed.

He said theyI shouldn't have to disconnect any hydraulic lines to replace the starter.

I did not do that, but I bet it makes it easier. Do you have a hoist to lift the engine?

/ New Starter for 422
Image.jpgImage 1.jpgImage.jpgImage 1.jpg