new to me 03 century 2535

/ new to me 03 century 2535 #21  
I would just torque them in the sequence laid out in the service manual and to the value specified. Other than that I would not sweat it much.

/ new to me 03 century 2535 #22  
I would certainly not be grinding any of them down. Can you use a phillips screw driver or a round punch and use that as a depth gauge to check the actual bolt hole depths of each head bolt hole in the block? You can then compare the practical depth of the hole to which bolt length was used in it. Some bolts might be required to protrude into an oil galley or water passage to act as a block for that passage way.

I think I would do that long before I contemplated grinding down a head bolt.

/ new to me 03 century 2535
I looked in all holes and it looks like they are all closed off to any passage. My main concern is the old owner didn’t know this and threw them in. Hence another head gasket blown. It definitely looks like it’s been taken apart already. The macine shop said the head is good and only took 5 thousandths off to get rid of blemishes. After a hot tank and mill, looks brand new. I just meant grind the non thread part of the bolts.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
image.jpg

Im going to check the bolts now and will let you know sizes. Looks like three different thickness. The skinniest of which are on the exhaust side.
image.jpg

I just measured all the bolts and they are all within 0.0020 of each other. So not sure what that service tech was saying? Maybe different motor
image.jpg

/ new to me 03 century 2535 #26  
I just noticed that you're in Killeen, Army? I got a chuckle thinking of a rather large tractor sitting on one of the postage stamp sized lawns that make up much of the city. 😂

I just noticed that you're in Killeen, Army? I got a chuckle thinking of a rather large tractor sitting on one of the postage stamp sized lawns that make up much of the city. 😂
LOL! Yes i was army but not anymore. I still live in Killeen but have 20 acres in Hamilton northwest of gatesville. I think all lawns these days are stamp size.

/ new to me 03 century 2535 #28  
LOL! Yes i was army but not anymore. I still live in Killeen but have 20 acres in Hamilton northwest of gatesville. I think all lawns these days are stamp size.

You were smart to stay in Texas, that much is certain lol.