New (to me) 4100

/ New (to me) 4100 #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Picked up a high hour (5540 hrs) John Deere 4100 today so I can have a mowing tractor again. Surprisingly for the hours it’s mechanically sound, no blow by, smoke, or stuttering in the transmission/hydraulics. I’m not sure what it’s previous life entailed but I think it’ll have an easy retirement cutting brush on my property. First and foremost though it’ll get a basic service and probably a little TLC on the cosmetic side of things. Having had numerous Yanmars , a Kubota B2630, and several lesser known brands it’ll be interesting to see how this John Deere compares.

IMG_5930.JPG

IMG_5934.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

/ New (to me) 4100 #2  
It definitely wasn’t stored inside under cover a waxed on a regular basis. Other than being a little sun burned it doesn’t look to bad. I’m guessing tge seat has been replaced.

/ New (to me) 4100
Making the tractor useful with a new Fronteir mower

IMG_6058.JPG

IMG_6061.JPG

Reversed the rear tires and when right to work cutting brush. Forgot how dusty mowing can be on an open station machine but it was certainly enjoyable nonetheless.

IMG_6067.JPG

IMG_6068.JPG

IMG_6070.JPG

IMG_6071.JPG

/ New (to me) 4100 #4  
I had that model tractor with loader for 20+ years. It always performed well and needed no repairs except lift cylinder seals. But wow: over 5500 hours. Amazing.

/ New (to me) 4100 #5  
Nice machine. I have always like the Deere 4xxx series. My friend owns a bigger 4 series with a loader and uses it in his tree service business and also does some small brush cutting work.

Good looking setup. Hope you have luck with it.

/ New (to me) 4100
Got a little time today to start cleaning up the hood. The white color was actually primer, apparently some of the paint had came off in the past so their fix was shooting the hood with some grey primer to prevent rust. This go around it’ll get sanded, primed, and painted. Although far from perfect it’ll at least look the way it should.

IMG_6087.JPG

/ New (to me) 4100
Any advice on finding the trim piece for around the headlight switch? This 4100 just had duct tape over the hole that the switch goes in so I ordered a new switch and installed it yesterday but am missing the trim ring that holds it in place to the instrument panel. Upon my searches through deeres parts catalogs I cannot find this part anywhere in the catalog (even searched other models like the 4110, 4115, 2210, 2305).

IMG_6088.JPG

/ New (to me) 4100 #8  
In your final spray coat, be sure to use John Deere paint, not paint that says it is John Deere color. Such paint turns blue (bluish) after a year or so.
Nice work on making this look new again. Look forward to pictures as you progress.

/ New (to me) 4100
Made more progress on the hood today:
IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_6093.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6098.JPG

The John Deere paint turned out pretty good but I’m debating shooting it with clear coat to give it more shine. Either that or waxing it in a few days. Open to ideas there, leaning more towards clear coat though.

Also got a picture of what I’m up against with the lack of the light switch bezel:

IMG_6099.JPG

/ New (to me) 4100 #10  
Any advice on finding the trim piece for around the headlight switch? This 4100 just had duct tape over the hole that the switch goes in so I ordered a new switch and installed it yesterday but am missing the trim ring that holds it in place to the instrument panel. Upon my searches through deeres parts catalogs I cannot find this part anywhere in the catalog (even searched other models like the 4110, 4115, 2210, 2305).

Seal​

Part Number
M807911

Try Item #5: