New Tractor Problems

/ New Tractor Problems #1  

cokeicee

Tractor
2515H Branson
Hi All,
Wanted to get your take on things. I bought a new branson 2515h 5/23/2021. It has 45 hours on it. It was delivered to me from a dealer about 40 mins away. 3 days ago I was using the forks but had to run in the house to take a call. I shut it down and it would not turn back on. It makes a single click. I checked the battery at autozone, tried jumping it. Same results. I tried jumping the solenoid and same result. 1 click. I imagine the starter is bad. I called the dealer and they said I have to get it to them but it has the forks on the ground and a bush hog on the back. They want me to call a tow company and the cheapest is 450$. I personally think it is crazy but wanted to hear anyone elses thoughts.

/ New Tractor Problems
Make sure all of your safety switches are in place - gears in neutral, pto off, etc.
Yes, first thing I did. Jumping the solenoid would bypass any safety switches too.

/ New Tractor Problems #4  
If you're willing/able to remove the starter, is the dealer willing to replace it if you take it off?
I realize you shouldn't have to but unfortunately it's one of those "things".
Just for the halibut, did you try giving the starter a light tap with a hammer, key word here is light, you don't want to beat the crap out of it (well....maybe you do but don't :) ).
You tried putting power directly to the starter post so the solenoid is out of the equasion?
The ground is good, not just the starter to the engine, engine to battery?
Try running a ground directly to the starter and then 12V to the starter terminal.
Last thought, the engine isn't hydrolocked by any stretch of the imagination?.........Mike

/ New Tractor Problems #5  
Common sense tells me that it is probably something simple since it popped up quickly without any warning. I vote for a safety switch. I'm not sure that jumping the solenoid will by pass the safety switch(s). I'd look for a loose connection in one of the switches.

Do you have voltage at the starter solenoid? If not look for a bad battery connection.

If you are convinced it is the starter pull it and bench test it. But at 45 hours that seems very unlikely.

/ New Tractor Problems
If you're willing/able to remove the starter, is the dealer willing to replace it if you take it off?
I realize you shouldn't have to but unfortunately it's one of those "things".
Just for the halibut, did you try giving the starter a light tap with a hammer, key word here is light, you don't want to beat the crap out of it (well....maybe you do but don't :) ).
You tried putting power directly to the starter post so the solenoid is out of the equasion?
The ground is good, not just the starter to the engine, engine to battery?
Try running a ground directly to the starter and then 12V to the starter terminal.
Last thought, the engine isn't hydrolocked by any stretch of the imagination?.........Mike
I can take it off. It looks like 2 maybe 3 bolts holding it on. Tried "tapping" it. They said I could buy one but they couldnt warranty it unless it was brought in. I am going to go try putting the power directly to it.

Not sure what hydrolocked is.

/ New Tractor Problems
I just banged the crap out of it and put power directly too it. It made a half turn and stopped with a grinding noise.

/ New Tractor Problems #8  
Not sure what hydrolocked is.
Not a likely possibility on your machine but figured I'd throw it out there.
When one or even all of the cylinders end up full or even partially full of fuel or water. Since liquid is not compressable, the engine won't turn over. If you're lucky and you try and start a hydrolocked engine, it won't turn over at all. If it's on an intake stroke and you get a bit of momentum with the starter it's bend rods, cranks etc. Not a good scene at all.

They said I could buy one but they couldnt warranty it unless it was brought in.
Well that sucks, it'd be almost cheaper just to out and out buy it. I can see charging you for the starter 'till you bring the bad one back. Doesn't sound like a reasonable dealer at all...........M

/ New Tractor Problems
Not a likely possibility on your machine but figured I'd throw it out there.
When one or even all of the cylinders end up full or even partially full of fuel or water. Since liquid is not compressable, the engine won't turn over. If you're lucky and you try and start a hydrolocked engine, it won't turn over at all. If it's on an intake stroke and you get a bit of momentum with the starter it's bend rods, cranks etc. Not a good scene at all.

Well that sucks, it'd be almost cheaper just to out and out buy it. I can see charging you for the starter 'till you bring the bad one back. Doesn't sound like a reasonable dealer at all...........M
im going to pull the thing tomorrow and see if I can get it to run on the bench. Might even just order one on Amazon. I just dont want to ruin a warranty for the rest of the machine by doing this. I bought the thing because it was supposed to be an easy motor to work on. Go figure.