New welding process HDMTGTAW?

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW? #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I was on a jobsite this past week where the welders were able to do some open root tig welds on stainless without a purge gas. I was doing some googling and I believe it's called
High Deposition Metal Transfer Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (HDMTGTAW), that's a mouthful! I guess it's a fairly new process, but it sounds pretty interesting. I'm guessing it's like traditional TIG, but maybe the filler rod has a flux? I'll have to read up on it some more.

Anyone have any details/experience with it?

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW? #2  
Without a purge gas or without a shielding gas? For many years there has been a product called Solar Flux to eliminate the purge gas on the back side of the Stainless weld even on pipe. Pretty sure there is no flux in the rod though. HDMTGTAW is something new to me I'll have to give it a read as well.

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW? #3  
Is it the Tip Tig unit?

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW? #4  
When I saw your post title I thought you were trying to be funny. That is the longest real acronym I have ever seen and in my profession we are all about acronyms. In fact, that might even violate a rule. :laughing:

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW?
Is it the Tip Tig unit?

I looked up Tip Tig and it says it uses HDMTGTAW technology. It looks like it's a combo of Tig and Mig. Pretty cool concept.

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW? #6  
Tip Tig is being used by SpaceX to weld the 301 stainless steel main structure of the Starship prototypes at the Boca Chica, TX site. Several thousand tons of 5/32" thick 301 coils (each 6 ft tall by 550 ft long) have been delivered to the shipyard so far. The production rate now is about one full size Starship prototype in 3 weeks. Production facilities are being built rapidly to reduce this to one week.

You can follow this work on YouTube. Type "Spacex Boca" to find the videos.

/ New welding process HDMTGTAW? #7  
I looked this up and it's another name for what is known as Cold Wire Tig. Pretty common process. Cold wire feeding is also very common in Plasma Welding one of my favorites.