Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #21  
I hoped that would help. Key is measure the tractor rear from PTO to outside of tire, then confirm with the selling dealer that at full offset the hinge point is beyond the tire. Remember you can always gain a few inches by offsetting the 3pt arms too. On my tractor it gains me and extra 3 inches when hooked up. The Giraffa is a heavy duty model, several grades up from mine.

Happy Holidays
Keith

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #22  
Powerscol,

Why is it essential that the full rear tire be on top of the bank? I often mow with my rotary cutter with the rears part way off the bank (of course in that case I'm mowing the level part, not the bank).

What happens if the tire actually rides part way down the bank, as one might do to make a second pass?

My concern is that the offset models I'm looking at seem to only offset about 25" from the centerline, but it's only 24" to the inside of my rears. I can get a bit more by offsetting the arms as you point out, but not likely enough to clear the outside of the rear tire, which is about 34" off the center line.

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower
Powerscol,

Why is it essential that the full rear tire be on top of the bank? I often mow with my rotary cutter with the rears part way off the bank (of course in that case I'm mowing the level part, not the bank).

Well, the embankment could collapse under the weight to the tractor...probable rollover
or
You get a bit too close...and roll over.

It'll depend on the make up of the embankment...all dirt and downslope, use caution and stay away as far as possible.

In my circumstances, the embankment runs along a road and is upslope...minimal chance of rolling the tractor. Even if I operated on the road and mowed the embankment downslope, little chance of rolling as long as I'm watching how close I get to the bank...I'd be more concerned about traffic on the road.

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #24  
Powerscol,

What happens if the tire actually rides part way down the bank, as one might do to make a second pass?

My concern is that the offset models I'm looking at seem to only offset about 25" from the centerline, but it's only 24" to the inside of my rears. I can get a bit more by offsetting the arms as you point out, but not likely enough to clear the outside of the rear tire, which is about 34" off the center line.

Roy has mentioned a few. If you get over on the bank at full extension, depending on the weight of the mower it can take you further (sliding on the grass). This has happened to me several times, especially when cutting thick growth as there is a drag on the tractor from the mower head when it is extended down the slope.

If you look at models with an outboard gear box (gear box on the end of the unit) they will reach about 8" to 12" further. My roadside ditch banks get very steep, so I needed to be sure I stay on the flat as much as possible. Its the one time I wear my seat belt. I always have the ROPS up.

Look at some of the Maschio models. I think the Giraffetta SE model like I have will reach, but give them a call.

There are others such as Peruzzo too. What I did was take measurements on the 3pt with a normal 28" arm width (Cat 1 dimensions)and set it as far right as I could go and took measurements from the draw bar to the offset center, outside of tire, etc. Then made a sketch and imposed the measurements for the various mowers (converted metric to inches) that I was looking at. I did have to call the dealers to get the measurements to the gear box from the end to correctly draw things up. Each unit varies considerably depending on the swing are geometry. Generally the longer the arms the further it will reach if they keep the pivot point as far the the left side of the mower body as they can. With a outboard gear box the can shift it left more. There is one orchard mower in Europe, that has the pivot point centered on the mower head so it can swing either way Takes 3 remotes to run.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
   / Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #25  
Thanks, guys.

I looked at the Maschio models, but I don't find anything under 60", which is too much for my tractor. I'll call them this week and see what they say.

I like the Del Morino but same issue - nothing offered under 60". They make a 41" one but it's not listed on the US dealer's site.

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #26  
I talked to Tractor Tools Direct, the dealer for the Del Marino that Roy provided the link to above. My concern with them has been that they offer only the 62" model, which is too big for my tractor. My conversation was encouraging.

The salesman claims that just today they were talking about offering smaller models. According to the manufacturer's website (in Italian) they also make 52" and 42" models. He seem interested in seeing if they can offer me one of the smaller models. We'll see.

I think Roy's right that Del Morino is an attractive choice. I expect more reliable quality than the China-made brands, and the price is attractive relative to the other Italian brands. What TTD is offering is actually the manufacturer's heavier duty line - they also make a lighter one.

One concern is as I read the specs, it has only about 18" from the centerline of the tractor to the near end of the mower at full extension.

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #27  
I talked to Tractor Tools Direct, the dealer for the Del Marino that Roy provided the link to above. My concern with them has been that they offer only the 62" model, which is too big for my tractor. My conversation was encouraging.

The salesman claims that just today they were talking about offering smaller models. According to the manufacturer's website (in Italian) they also make 52" and 42" models. He seem interested in seeing if they can offer me one of the smaller models. We'll see.

I think Roy's right that Del Morino is an attractive choice. I expect more reliable quality than the China-made brands, and the price is attractive relative to the other Italian brands. What TTD is offering is actually the manufacturer's heavier duty line - they also make a lighter one.

One concern is as I read the specs, it has only about 18" from the centerline of the tractor to the near end of the mower at full extension.

What is you tire offset outside to outside, and if they could tell you the distance from the end to the hing point it would help you. 18" is more than a lot out there.

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #28  
The outside of my tires are 34" from the centerline of the tractor - or 68" from outside one tire to the outside of the other.

They don't show the dimension from the centerline to the inside end of the cutters so you have to work it out. The diagram shows it's 70" from the centerline to the end of the mower fully extended. Take off 52" working width and you have 18" from the inside end of the cutters to the centerline. Actually it's a bit less than that because there's an inch or two past the end of the cutters for the outboard bearing and end wall.

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #29  
You need to find a mower with an outboard gear box. Have you talked to Iowa Farm Equipment? They were a great help to me. I am almost as wide as you are.

Happy Holidays

/ Offset Flail Ditch Bank Mower #30  
You need to find a mower with an outboard gear box. Have you talked to Iowa Farm Equipment?

I tried to but so far they haven't returned my phone call. I did get an email from them that I found a little disturbing, and their prices are pretty high, seems to me.