Organic consumers

/ Organic consumers #1  

M5farms

Platinum Member
Tractor
jd 2630 - NH TL100A-35 ferg-53 ford backhoe
Organic Consumers Are Happy With Their Choice | Drovers

Article in Drovers Journal May 23, 2018)
Despite the presence of pesticides in equal amounts, organic consumers won稚 switch.

A recent study found pesticide levels in organically grown foods is equal to that of conventionally grown foods. That痴 right, consumers are paying more for organic foods to avoid pesticides but it痴 not helping. Think they値l switch to conventionally grown foods?

Not likely, according to NPD痴 National Eating Trendsョ, which continually tracks all aspects of how U.S. consumers eat. Organic consumers hold a strong belief in their nutritional knowledge and healthy lifestyle and are not likely to be swayed by the research.

NPD cited a recently released report from the Environmental Working Group (EWG) that found pesticide levels in organically grown foods are equal to those in conventionally grown foods. NPD said consumers have opportunities to consume organic foods and beverages 9.7% of the time, up from 7.5% just three years ago. The group also said about 10% of the U.S. population consumes all organic foods over a seven-day period. Another 19% consume a combination of all-natural and organic foods, with 20% consuming only all-natural foods, the study said.

The NPD group痴 study also identified organic-only consumers as most likely to be female, span the ages between 35 to 44 and 55 to 64, live on the West Coast and have a household income of more than $75,000 per year. The study found 51% of the population are non-users of organic and all natural foods.

徹rganic consumers will hold steadfast to their beliefs and continue to seek organic foods despite negative reporting, and all-natural consumers will continue to place convenience over taste first, said Darren Seifer, food and beverage industry analyst at NPD.

/ Organic consumers #2  
Yes - but those who insist on organically grown food are all PC and relieve all stress by hugging a tree. I fear for them though - after this article receives wider coverage - there may not be enough trees for all of them to hug.

" and God brought down tri-ethyl chlorides......."

/ Organic consumers #4  
Interesting, the Drovers article cites another, PRweb article regarding the levels of pesticides in organic foods. However the PRweb article only says "Recent publicity that pesticide levels in organically grown foods is equal to that of conventionally grown foods raised the question: will consumers of organic foods switch to all natural or to conventionally grown foods?" There's no citation, statistic or anything else to support the claim. #fakenews

/ Organic consumers #5  
Interesting, the Drovers article cites another, PRweb article regarding the levels of pesticides in organic foods. However the PRweb article only says "Recent publicity that pesticide levels in organically grown foods is equal to that of conventionally grown foods raised the question: will consumers of organic foods switch to all natural or to conventionally grown foods?" There's no citation, statistic or anything else to support the claim. #fakenews
This may get to the root of the statement.
The truth about organic produce and pesticides - The Washington Post

Another point is that all pesticides are not created equal. I try to use the least chemicals as obtrusive as possible on my land, and so far have managed to get by using only permethrin and sulfur in limited quantities. (My one attempt with Roundup was a colossal waste of time and money.) I also don't worry overly much about what I buy in stores; yet some things such as organic catsup taste better because of the lack of unnecessary additives and especially without high fructose corn syrup.

/ Organic consumers #6  
When I eat normal celery, my lips go numb. (and yes, I wash it)
When I eat Organic celery, my lips do not go numb.

I'd say there is a difference in pesticide concentrations there.

/ Organic consumers #7  
My three favorite foods are high fruitcose corn syrup, aspertame and gluten (whatever that is)

/ Organic consumers #8  
Organic food are GMO free as well. at least I had to prove I had no GMO in my crops,

/ Organic consumers #9  
Organic food are GMO free as well. at least I had to prove I had no GMO in my crops,
That must be difficult at times, given cross field pollination. Even my seed suppliers have a disclaimer stating that it's beyond their control.

/ Organic consumers #10  
This may get to the root of the statement.
The truth about organic produce and pesticides - The Washington Post

Another point is that all pesticides are not created equal. I try to use the least chemicals as obtrusive as possible on my land, and so far have managed to get by using only permethrin and sulfur in limited quantities. (My one attempt with Roundup was a colossal waste of time and money.) I also don't worry overly much about what I buy in stores; yet some things such as organic catsup taste better because of the lack of unnecessary additives and especially without high fructose corn syrup.

Yup, most people I know who shop organic do so becuase they want to lessen the impact on ecosystems rather than taste(although organic seems to usually seems to be better quality produce).

I know quite a few beekeepers who aren't super happy with the state of modern weed/pest techniques.