Pete 335

/ Pete 335 #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Found a really sweet 2009 Pete 335 4WD with a Paccar PX8 (8.3L Cummins), Allison 3000 and air brakes. 33,000 GVWR. Has air to rear. 10/23 axles.
However, it only has 12’ of frame and 108” cab to axle. Makes a 16’ flatbed kinda tough. Ideally should be 120” cab to axle for 16’ flatbed.
I really like this truck, but sliding the axle back a door is pricey. Body installer says ”it‘ll be ok”, but as I told him, I want to pull a 10 ton hay trailer behind it and 6 ton hay on the bed (square bales).
Thoughts?

/ Pete 335 #2  
You should stretch it out so it makes it safe to haul or tow what you intend do.
Just depends on whether you want to do it the right way or not.

If you stretch it out, you will probably have to add a midship bearing and make a two piece driveshaft.

/ Pete 335 #3  
Keep looking? As you said lengthening it can be done but...
Among other things just as soon as you bought this one, a deal on the right truck would appear immediately.

/ Pete 335
I haven’t found a truck that “checks as many boxes” as this one.
I want a tandem all wheel drive, but they are as rare as a month of perfect farming weather…
Not many Pete’s with 4WD or 6WD, auto, good engine with good power, and oh I didn’t mention, has driver controlled locking axle. :)
Im trying to put together a budget for frame lengthening and 16’ steel flatbed

/ Pete 335
Pic

1631836196681.jpeg

/ Pete 335 #6  
If it's going to haul out more hay and haul in more money ( no pun intended) then it makes sense.

/ Pete 335 #7  
I would shop around for prices to do the stretching. With the lack of new trucks to sell there must be some shops that need the work.

What would the price difference be between longer truck vs short truck plus the stretching?

Would you be able to travel to buy the truck? I would think that there would be some used trucks along the areas where the Keystone pipeline was to go.

/ Pete 335
Good points
The truck is close by (~50 miles away).
It would be spendy to move the rear axle back, double the frame, lengthen driveshaft, lines, etc.
I cant even find a 4wd thats longer and spec'd out this way.
But this truck is twice the truck of an F-550 4x4 for 1/2 the cost.

/ Pete 335 #9  
I’d move the axel or put a shorter bed on. My 750 sticks off about 18” and it’s a pain in the butt. I totally agree about medium duty trucks vs tons and heavy tons. You can pile all the load on and the truck just doesn’t care and they’re cheap. Even if you’re not using the truck to it’s full potential which I’m usually not my 750 with air has WAY more brakes than a ton.
IMG_0603.JPG

/ Pete 335
I could also add an air lift axle behind the rear axle. That would increase my GVWR, allow 16' body with no overhang and increase available tongue weight for towing. Shorter than 16’ is not an option. Adds cost, too!

Last edited: