Grapple Piranha Root Grapple

/ Piranha Root Grapple #31  
IslandTractor said:
There is still 200lbs of steel to be accounted for in your grapple:confused: You sure you don't have 1/2 inch tines?

Ha!!! :) Nope... 3/8 inch all through the middle... admittedly heavily reinforced up front. I also just noticed that the outside rows (each side) appear to be 5/8" and not 1/2" as I had thought. But it's very cold and very dark out in that garage right now... so forgive me if I am off a bit. My hand and the ruler were shaking so much I could barely read the numbers. For all I know I've got 1/2 inch outside tines and just a lot of thick black paint!!!

But half inch all around? No way. It would be pushing close to 800 lbs and you know I had to stay under 700 pounds to meet my goals.

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #32  
From the Piranha web site:

Our grapple is constructed out of A36 steel. It has 1/2" Sides, 3/8" middles and 5/8" tongs.

Chuck

/ Piranha Root Grapple #33  
OK, hot off the press. Just talked to Anita at Piranha. The tongs are 3/4". The web site is wrong. The weights are:

60" - 620 lbs
66" - 660 lbs
72" - 720 lbs

Chuck

/ Piranha Root Grapple #34  
LaVita said:
OK, hot off the press. Just talked to Anita at Piranha. The tongs are 3/4". The web site is wrong. The weights are:
60" - 620 lbs
66" - 660 lbs
72" - 720 lbs
Chuck
Very Interesting. Made me go back and find the e-mail they sent me while I was still shopping back in December. Here are the weights I was given at that time:

60 inch 613 lbs
66 inch 635 lbs
72 inch 701 lbs

The small difference could be anything... adding hoses and couplings, shipping weight on pallet vs. net weight... minor design changes... who knows? :)

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #35  
LaVita said:
From the Piranha web site: Our grapple is constructed out of A36 steel. It has 1/2" Sides, 3/8" middles and 5/8" tongs.
LaVita said:
Just talked to Anita at Piranha. The tongs are 3/4". The web site is wrong.
Something tells me they may vary (improve?) the design in small ways with each new batch.

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #36  
Flintlock

Can you post a link to the 48" Piranha grapple for $700.00. I can't seem to find it on their website.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #37  
North GA, I think that was the Millonzi not the Piranha.

/ Piranha Root Grapple
My bad. That price was 48" root grapple seen @ Dehnerwelding.com. I was looking at Piranha and their products in same time frame and mixed them up. Still, Dehner product seems good for the $$

/ Piranha Root Grapple #39  
:D Talk to piranha. These guys will make anything you want them to. I custom ordered a 4' grapple with a single cylinder and double fork for about $1050 (3 or 4 years ago). The piranha that I have in my ASV looks like it could chew up the other one pictured a couple of posts ago. Look at the hinge pivots- bolts on the light one 1-1/2" pins with grease fittings on the piranha.:eek:

/ Piranha Root Grapple #40  
The question is not who can make the toughest heaviest grapple, the more relevant issue is what size, weight, style and build of grapple is optimal for CUTs. Skid steers generally are more powerful than CUT FELs and do different types of work. I haven't heard of anyone on TBN complaining that they "used up" or destroyed their grapple or grapple bucket. It would be silly to pay more or lug around a heavier grapple than necessary to get the job done.