Grapple Piranha Root Grapple

/ Piranha Root Grapple #41  
LaVita said:
From the Piranha web site: Our grapple is constructed out of A36 steel. It has 1/2" Sides, 3/8" middles and 5/8" tongs.
LaVita said:
OK, hot off the press. Just talked to Anita at Piranha. The tongs are 3/4". The web site is wrong.
Not that anyone still cares at this point (except yours truly :) ), but there is *no* 3/4" steel anywhere on my 66" Piranha root grapple purchased in late-December 2006 and delivered in January 2007. The outer bars/teeth are 5/8". The inner bars/teeth are 3/8". The grapple arms (tongs?) are 5/8". If anything was increased to 3/4" for 2007, that could account for the reported weight difference from my 635 lbs.

The message here: Confirm exactly what you are getting (weight and construction) before you buy... or live with the consequences! :)

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #42  
diyDave said:
The piranha that I have in my ASV looks like it could chew up the other one pictured a couple of posts ago. Look at the hinge pivots- bolts on the light one 1-1/2" pins with grease fittings on the piranha.:eek:
I think your point goes right to the heart of the missing 200+ pounds between the 66" Piranha and the 66" Millonzi Light Duty. Yes, they may both feature mostly 3/8" steel construction... and I like them both very much for very different reasons... but the Piranha is definitely over-built and reinforced to the Nth degree whereas the Millionzi Light Duty was specifically designed and built to limit weight.

But let's not forget... Millonzi makes a Heavy Duty grapple too. I'm sure it's built like a brick, ahem... school house! :D In fact, while there is no 66" model in their HD line, the less wide 60" model already weighs in at 735 lbs... well above my "700 lb or less" goal. Can you say 1/2" construction? :D

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #43  
FYI, I did check with Millonzi on the construction of their LD grapples: 3/8 inch steel for all the tines. I cannot imagine needing more than that unless I was doing construction debris removal with a much more powerful FEL or skid steer.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #44  
I'm patiently waiting the arrival of my Bodozer root grapple any day now. I will curious to see how he keeps the weight reatively low for using 1" and 3/4" material in the tines spaced 5.5" apart. 66" er weighs in at 600 and some change with 2 cylinders. I really liked the half circle profile opened up and the closed profile will allow one to pick up just sticks if need be.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #45  
wkpoor said:
I'm patiently waiting the arrival of my Bodozer root grapple any day now. I will curious to see how he keeps the weight reatively low for using 1" and 3/4" material in the tines spaced 5.5" apart. 66" er weighs in at 600 and some change with 2 cylinders. I really liked the half circle profile opened up and the closed profile will allow one to pick up just sticks if need be.
Do they now make a 66"? :confused: None shown on their website:
Borgford Manufacturing - Excellence in design & manufacturing for 21 years!

I too like that rounded claw design for brush, logs and general storm debris... but it wouldn't have worked very well for my root/rock removal needs and moving of construction materials. The fact that they are made in Washington state... 3,000 miles away from me... didn't help either. The only grapple of that general design offered locally was crazy heavy (and crazy expensive). :(

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #46  
The Anbo and Bodozer designs are similar and allows you to get the load closer to the pivot point for bigger lifts. It also allows you to backrake rocks and debris and then close on it. I like the design for my needs as well although will make do with the bucket mounted grapple for now.
One good feature about this design is the ability to use it as a dozer blade with the grapple in the open position. This will be good for raking up burried rocks and debris and then backrake with the curled forward top part of the open grapple into a piles for bigger loads for transport

/ Piranha Root Grapple #47  
m7040 said:
The Anbo and Bodozer designs are similar and allows you to get the load closer to the pivot point for bigger lifts. It also allows you to backrake rocks and debris and then close on it. I like the design for my needs as well although will make do with the bucket mounted grapple for now.
One good feature about this design is the ability to use it as a dozer blade with the grapple in the open position. This will be good for raking up burried rocks and debris and then backrake with the curled forward top part of the open grapple into a piles for bigger loads for transport
Isn't that funny... both in Washington state. That "claw" design approach must be a left coast thing! :)

Your points are well-taken. I hadn't thought much about the back-dragging technique (i.e., using the upper teeth) for root & rock removal. Very interesting. Could be quite effective and less strain on the FEL. Dozer technique is an interesting concept as well, although with aggressive use I'd be a little concerned about something snapping back through that center gap and damaging the tractor. That hood is delicate and VERY expensive. :eek:

If I am ever successful enough to afford another grapple, I'll have to consider these brands... although the shipping charges from WA to MA may require that I win the lottery once or twice before pulling the trigger! :) Shipping charges are already killing me on two other attachments I want. Not easy to live in MA so far away from all the tractor/skidsteer equipment manufacturers. :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #48  
Dougster said:
That "claw" design approach must be a left coast thing! :)

Actually, WR Long makes a very similar design in NC. Also, the Anbo and Bodozer designs are pretty heavy as others have noted. Any advantage in lift capacity by getting the load closer to the pivot pins is negated by the extra 200+ lbs of grapple weight. If you want to get the load closer to the pivot pins, just curl the grapple up. Works fine.

/ Piranha Root Grapple #49  
IslandTractor said:
Actually, WR Long makes a very similar design in NC. Also, the Anbo and Bodozer designs are pretty heavy as others have noted. Any advantage in lift capacity by getting the load closer to the pivot pins is negated by the extra 200+ lbs of grapple weight. If you want to get the load closer to the pivot pins, just curl the grapple up. Works fine.
While these are all essentially "claw" type designs, I can't see using the WR Long grapple for digging out roots & rocks in the same way those heavier duty Washington state designs might be able to handle them (not that I would need that now with the Piranha!)... i.e., backdragging with the top row of teeth curled over.

At the end of the day, I'm sure any decent grapple can probably do any reasonable grappling task. It's just a matter of how effectively and quickly and for how long it might be able to do so. Should I ever win those lotteries and be in the market for a second grapple, it will clearly be of the claw type design... exact brand and model yet to be determined! :)

Dougster

/ Piranha Root Grapple #50  
Yes, BoDozer makes a 66" model. I have one on my L5030 Kubota. FWIW, I get the impression that Dale Borgford will work very hard from the price point of view to get a sale. He priced the 66" unit to me including freight, 12v diverter, freight, all hoses, couplers etc . . . a complete setup. Borgford Manufacturing appears to be a small, family operation. Working directly with Dale Borgford was easy, pleasant, and I would highly recommend it.