Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #101  
I would hold the trees/shrubs in a compost/leaf pile and water them at least weekly then plant in September. They need at least 3-4 gal/week/plant.

Or if you have a trailer, get 1-2 IBC Totes and trailer them to the site - they are 300 gal each and you could connect to a pipe to drip water them - a single tote would be enough for one watering.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #102  
if you need 10" holes you will need a 12" auger. a 3point tractor post hole digger would work nicely
Some tool rental places might have those. Check with them.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #103  
Not sure of the soil you are facing. The home I sold a few years back, I'd dig the holes, the property I'm currently building on needed my backhoe to dig the 300 small holes for the Norway Spruce I planted. So much stone that after hole is dug, I needed to use dirt from my large compost pile to fill around the transplants. An auger was useless, 2" into the ground and it would just bounce of the rock. Gas auger would do same OR grab and send me for a loop.
Maybe a Shovel and a Maddock would go quick

Last edited:
   / Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #104  
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes.

A tractor Bucket Spade:

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 540

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_198.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 437
  • DSC00692.JPG
    DSC00692.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 997
Wow! I bet you could do each hole in under a minute with that.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #105  
   / Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #106  
A single moldboard plow might do it, depending on how deep you want to go.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #107  
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes. My first inclination was a hand-held auger but that might be a rough go with holes maybe getting to 10". I could use a smaller bit and drill multiple holes and try and combine them into a larger hole but when you are talking something like 50+ holes like that....meh!. Then I started thinking that maybe a tiller for my tractor might work but those only go so deep and I still need to move the dirt out of the ditch. If I had my backhoe(on order) then I guess that would be an easy solution. Other then those options anyone have any other ideas for relatively inexpensive ways to dig these holes? Would a trencher be an option?
Digging that many holes I'd see if the local rental yard has a 3ph post hole digger you can rent. It might even be worth a half day rental to rent it mounted on their tractor. Sure save some wear and tear on you and your helper.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #108  
Did the OP ever state or list what he had available for implements?
A back blade could be angled and tilted to just open up a ditch type furrow.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #109  
I've not read every response, but, there seem to be no votes for just using a backhoe.

Assuming the machine has one, why not use that? Or did I miss where the OP says he does not have one?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #110  
This is typical New England each 2x3' hole is 40% rocks 60% soil. Rocks are usually 5-18" and you can't plow or dig or use a spade, and a 3 PT PH digger is nearly useless with no down pressure. As Tony H stated go 2" into the ground and hit stones.

I had success with an 18" auger on a 3500LB Bobcat BT100 Tracked skidsteer with down pressure, then cleaned the holes out with my BH before planting. Still had to pick 4 yards of stone from 40 trees planted and use 8 yards of compost.

Attachments

• Rocks 2.jpg
    Rocks 2.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 67