Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #81  
If you have a rototiller that can go down 6+ inches do several passes and lif will be much easier for you after. The plants will like it better too.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #82  
if you need 10" holes you will need a 12" auger. a 3point tractor post hole digger would work nicely
I bought a post hole digger from tractor supply for about $600. You can get different size augers and it is bullet proof. Worth every penny.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #83  
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes. My first inclination was a hand-held auger but that might be a rough go with holes maybe getting to 10". I could use a smaller bit and drill multiple holes and try and combine them into a larger hole but when you are talking something like 50+ holes like that....meh!. Then I started thinking that maybe a tiller for my tractor might work but those only go so deep and I still need to move the dirt out of the ditch. If I had my backhoe(on order) then I guess that would be an easy solution. Other then those options anyone have any other ideas for relatively inexpensive ways to dig these holes? Would a trencher be an option?
Are you in an open area? A small 2 furrow plow might work for you. Pull the furrow back after placing tree roots.

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #84  
I'm looking at planting a row of bushes. My first inclination was a hand-held auger but that might be a rough go with holes maybe getting to 10". I could use a smaller bit and drill multiple holes and try and combine them into a larger hole but when you are talking something like 50+ holes like that....meh!. Then I started thinking that maybe a tiller for my tractor might work but those only go so deep and I still need to move the dirt out of the ditch. If I had my backhoe(on order) then I guess that would be an easy solution. Other then those options anyone have any other ideas for relatively inexpensive ways to dig these holes? Would a trencher be an option?
I have not read the responses yet but I'm sure folks will recommend an auger. If you dig nice round holes, the plants roots will grow in circles and never break into surrounding soil.

As a landscape contractor I found that empoyees had a hard time grasping that while usually a perfectionist, I did not want nice neet holes. An auger will work well if you let it wobble around and break up the sides.

I like to take several passes with a trencher. Makes ragged holes that support root growth. Remember, Most common cause of tree decline for planted trees is planting too deep!

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #85  
My wife and I use an Earthquake two-person power auger with an 8-inch bit for landscaping holes. We call it "vertical tilling." For large holes, we bore 2, 3, or 4 adjacent holes, then swivel the auger among them to break down the walls and make a larger hole. Sometimes she'll dump in a bag of composted manure, and we use the auger to mix it with the soil.

A two-person auger is fairly easy to use. We wear ear protectors, but it's no problem hearing one person yell "UP!" when it's time to pull the auger out to clear dirt from the hole. We've bored nearly 200 holes with this auger over the years. More work than sitting on a tractor pulling levers, but definitely doable.

--- Mike

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #86  
My wife and I use an Earthquake two-person power auger with an 8-inch bit for landscaping holes. We call it "vertical tilling." For large holes, we bore 2, 3, or 4 adjacent holes, then swivel the auger among them to break down the walls and make a larger hole. Sometimes she'll dump in a bag of composted manure, and we use the auger to mix it with the soil.

A two-person auger is fairly easy to use. We wear ear protectors, but it's no problem hearing one person yell "UP!" when it's time to pull the auger out to clear dirt from the hole. We've bored nearly 200 holes with this auger over the years. More work than sitting on a tractor pulling levers, but definitely doable.

--- Mike

they also make one man auger

1658502767331.png

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #87  
They are generally expensive even for the cheapo ones and I don't think I can get my hands on one in short order. I'm hoping/needing to get the bushes in the ground sooner than later.
Definition of "expensive"? What is your time worth? 150 feet of "bushes" doesn't sound cheap either. Plants are expensive, IMHO.

Tractor Supply Co sells them. $600 for County Line powerhead, $200 for 12" auger. Will last a lifetime, then some. I have the County Line powerhead with 6", 9", 12" augers.

CT

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #88  
How about a picture?

Attachments

• 1655845151861.png
    1655845151861.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 905
  • 1655845210232.png
    1655845210232.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 864
This looks like a nightmare... To plant 150 feet of "bushes" in.

CT

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use? #89  
How about a picture?

Attachments

• 1655845151861.png
    1655845151861.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 905
  • 1655845210232.png
    1655845210232.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 864
Somebody suggested a middle buster, I was going to suggest a couple passes with a single bottom plow Which I've done for planting hedgerows and shallow cables / pipes, but after looking at your pictures "lots of luck"

/ Planting a 150 ft row of bushes. What is the best attachment to use?
I have not read the responses yet but I'm sure folks will recommend an auger. If you dig nice round holes, the plants roots will grow in circles and never break into surrounding soil.

As a landscape contractor I found that empoyees had a hard time grasping that while usually a perfectionist, I did not want nice neet holes. An auger will work well if you let it wobble around and break up the sides.

I like to take several passes with a trencher. Makes ragged holes that support root growth. Remember, Most common cause of tree decline for planted trees is planting too deep!
I was thinking of trenching the whole thing for the two staggered rows. Not much 'neat' about that other than maybe the outer sides but even then the plan is to be trenched out 2-3 ft from the base. What are your thoughts about panting now? Leave in pots or get them in the ground?