PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #1  

Fytrfire

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX22
Hi there :)

I have a 2004 BX22 Kubota that I bought used with 600hrs on it. I was very excited to use it for the first time (and stupid) even after noticing a hydraulic leak from the backhoe hose. After mowing, I got it to the trailer and it did not want to move forward or backwards but you could hear the HST pump wanting to work. I winched it up on the trailer, fixed the hydraulic line and put fresh hydraulic fluid in. I have probably put 30 hours on it since then but I have noticed it does not want to pull even the slightest of hills all that well. A few times I've actually had to pull it out backwards out of the blackberry bushes because the tractor was not seeming to transfer the power from the transmission to the wheels. I have noticed in the mornings it pulls the little hill better probably because of the viscosity of the oil being thicker.

So last week while mowing the grass and going up the lil hill the transmission made a bunch of noises and then started gushing fluid out of the bottom. If you look at the attached pics that's what I saw underneath it.

I believe the leftover pieces are from the pump off the HST? Learning about them since then, I think that is a pump piston as well as the spring that goes inside of it, with a piece of casing lol...

I've priced a new HST from the dealership of $2,100 and $1,000 for labor....no way I'm paying it!

I called Hydrogear who apparently makes the HST for Kubota, but I cannot get a price from them until I get the actual part number that is stamped on the unit and not Kubota's part number of K2561-14002. Hydrogear says there is no way for them to cross reference it...

Does anybody out there know what the actual factory part number of this HST?

Much appreciated!!!

20211019_181400.jpg

Last edited:
   / PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #2  
Could it could be the Hydro Pressure adjustment which is done through adding or removing washer shims

Unless a hole punched through the case it could be a simple fix...

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem
To be honest, I'm not sure.

My plan of action is to dreadfully remove the rear axle/transmission conglomeration and investigate. I can't visibly see any Casing damage looking underneath it from the front to back. Can't really get a good look at the top of the HSI or rear of it with all the crap in the way....

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #4  
Yep they kicked me off of here for saying something about changing oil on the ground. Basically what you just did. I will never own a hydrostat tractor. I know a little. Was a shop mechanic at Kubota.

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #5  
The hydraulic version of letting the smoke out. Definitely chunks of casting on the ground. Sorry to see that. Reminds me to check the oil level on my JD4300.

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #6  
certainly does look like housing casting laying on the ground. Not sure where the piston and long spring would be in the HST though. Is that piston hollow so spring could fit inside of it?

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem
certainly does look like housing casting laying on the ground. Not sure where the piston and long spring would be in the HST though. Is that piston hollow so spring could fit inside of it?
Yes, the spring does seem to fit inside that piston.

I believe its one of many pistons under the swash plate but new territory to me.

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #8  
Yes, the spring does seem to fit inside that piston.

I believe its one of many pistons under the swash plate but new territory to me.
That would be a pump piston and two piston return springs laying with the housing debris.

/ PLEASE HELP? BX22 HST problem #10  
Relief valve failure? How could those parts just blow out of the bottom of the hydrostatic transmission? Was the bottom of the trans damaged by riding over a large rock?

"I've priced a new HST from the dealership of $2,100 and $1,000 for labor....no way I'm paying it!"

You might have to, to get your tractor back. Looks to have had a catastrophic failure.