Pole barn build now or wait?

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #1  

Dwellonroof

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3046r
I'm thinking about building a small pole barn 30x40x10 but wondering if I should wait until prices go down or just bite the bullit and order the kit.
For now it would be dirt/gravel floor with no insulation, build it myself the kit would be around $14,000

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #2  
I dont think prices are going to come down much. They printed up a bunch of money and raised minimum wage, so high prices are here to stay. If you need it, and can afford it, build it.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #3  
You would be extraordinarily well advised to put in a concrete floor now, before construction of walls, etc.
1. Wood prices are now high (though falling), whereas I've not heard that concrete prices are high.
2. Ease of putting in the concrete now far exceeds the labor involved with doing it later.
3. Consider where you would put an auto (or mower) lift, and put in a footing suitable for the weight. Lifts are only about $2K, and will add a nice option for you in the future.
4. If you do the floor first, maybe by the time you're finished, wood prices will have fallen enough that will save you a grand or two on the kit. I think prices for the kit will not increase.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #4  
Build it now, if you can, but don't wait on the concrete. It really sucks to have a dirt floor - it will turn into fine powdery dust unless you gravel the whole thing. Plus trying to have a work shop or work on any vehicles... then you have to move everything back OUT someday, and regrade/compact the floor, to allow for concrete install. My 30x36 slab was only $3400 (5 years ago), so you should still be able to stay under $5k for yours.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #5  
Build it now, if you can, but don't wait on the concrete. It really sucks to have a dirt floor - it will turn into fine powdery dust unless you gravel the whole thing. Plus trying to have a work shop or work on any vehicles... then you have to move everything back OUT someday, and regrade/compact the floor, to allow for concrete install. My 30x36 slab was only $3400 (5 years ago), so you should still be able to stay under $5k for yours.
I guess a lot depends on whether or not the OP ever plans to put in a concrete floor, but if there's a chance he will, yes, do it now. I don't know how deep the frost line is in Ohio, but it sounds like it would be a big PITA (as well as expense) to dig footings deep enough once the building's in place.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #6  
I guess a lot depends on whether or not the OP ever plans to put in a concrete floor, but if there's a chance he will, yes, do it now. I don't know how deep the frost line is in Ohio, but it sounds like it would be a big PITA (as well as expense) to dig footings deep enough once the building's in place.
With a pole barn, the poles themselves are the actual footings - they typically get placed 3 to 4 feet down, atop concrete pucks or encased in some concrete. This is below the frost line and is what structurally holds the whole building up. You just then toss a simple slab down inside the skirt boards, no footings needed. On my 30x36 pole barn, I did dig a 2' narrow rat wall around the perimeter though.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #7  
It's a gamble,

Attachments

• lumber prices.JPG
    lumber prices.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 94
As you can see some lumber prices are extremely volatile. Almost like toilet paper. But both have come down greatly.

I was pleasantly surprised to see I made it through the last crunch. I had stocked up on 2x4's and 4x4's because of great prices in early '19 and was able to finish a few projects.

Steel prices however are still high
10 year chart

I'd say if your building with wood prices are down, but kit's may not be. Also consider timing and labor. Winter's coming on, a lot of people are being kicked off the extra unemployment benefits and might get back to work.

My county in Northeast Mississippi has been running a new gas line. It was about 2 miles from me in a rural area and was supposed to be to me by April, 2020. I had been talking to the project manager since Jan 2020 about every other month. Every time in 2021 I called he said me he couldn't keep a crew. They'd work enough to keep their unemployment benefits (UI) up (then quit claiming fear of Covid) and get the extra $300/week. That gravy train has been shut off. People are going to be looking for work.

/edit note that the MAXIMUM UI in Mississippi is and was $235/week, so adding even $300 to that made a big difference.

Last edited:
   / Pole barn build now or wait? #8  
I agree with going concrete my old shed was dirt , hated it for 20 yrs. My new 28x36 has concrete , love it.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #9  
Good advice about putting in a concrete floor and planning for a vehicle lift. Especially if you plan to live there for more than 10 years.

Doing it right pays off in the end.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #10  
I did dig a 2' narrow rat wall around the perimeter though.

Never heard the term so I did a search..

“A rat wall is a barrier meant to prevent burrowing animals from getting beneath your deck or patio. ... Concrete rat walls are essentially extensions of the foundation slab. It's width is generally between 1 foot and 18 inches, often at a depth of 18 inches.”