Pole barn build now or wait?

/ Pole barn build now or wait?
While I'm waiting for delivery I have too much time to think :unsure: since we ordered 2x6 gerts maybe I could bookshelf them for that "just in case" scenario.
So instead of blocking between them I could notch each one into the 6x6 posts ???
1632231532316.png

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #42  
The genius of a pole barn is in how much strength you get in such a simple design. When you change the engineering of that simple design, you create other issues. The basics are poles in the ground and purlins attached to the side of the posts for the full length of the building. This ties everything together in a very strong design. If you change this, you have to compensate for the loss of strength. Notching posts to run purlins on the flat in between each post will create a building with less strength. It's doable, but it will cost more and take longer to build.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #43  
I'm with @EddieWalker. If you want bookshelves, I would add, and not subtract, from the strength of the building. E.g. put in a foundation support and build up a book shelf from there. I wouldn't use the burning or main beams- they already have a job.

Personally, I would use metal for barn shelves. I like the restaurant shelving that moves up and down poles. It carries a great deal of weight (3-400lbs) per shelf, dust falls through, and it is easy to clean. I have some larger shelving for heavier items, but I regret not getting warehouse (orange/green style) racking.

All the best,

Peter

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #44  
While I'm waiting for delivery I have too much time to think :unsure: since we ordered 2x6 gerts maybe I could bookshelf them for that "just in case" scenario.
So instead of blocking between them I could notch each one into the 6x6 posts ???
View attachment 714135
No way! No notching of the main support posts is allowed (except at the very top for carrying the roof trusses, if you like to do it that way). The posts hold up your walls and roof, you don't want to weaken them.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #45  
Is your barn heated full time? If not I would think the floor would crack from the freeze-thaw cycle.
Nope. I have PEX in the slab for future hydronic radiant heat, but I haven't bought a boiler and plumbed it in yet, so my tubing is still empty. No heat in my building so far, through 3 winters. Sub-freezing temperatures doesn't crack concrete - the water in the slab has all fully evaporated once it's fully cured. The ground underneath my slab doesn't freeze, either. In fact, even with multiple sub-zero nights in a row, my slab will stay close to freezing (even when its single digits inside the building). It does just barely freeze up at the peak of winter (car/road slush solidifies) but usually it stays thawed.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #47  
View attachment 714135
Yes, these are bookshelf girls and no, they are not notched, these are fine as they are just attached to the 6x6.

you would not even need to add those vertical 2x6, just toe nail the 2x6’s horizontally to the 6x6.

the end result is the metal can be screwed to the 2x6 on the outside and the drywall can be attached to the same 2x6 on the inside.

the insulation will lay on top of the horizontal girt.

this is exactly What I am doing in my 60x60 pole barn. The posts carry the load, no need to build a “secondary” wall within the wall as it’s not carrying any load. It’s just used to run wire, keep the insulation in place and screw the drywall to.

if you are gonna go down this route, look at some articles on advanced framing.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #48  
I should note, my girts are just 2x4’s and they run across the outside of the pole all the way down. So I have an extra 1.5” from the metal to the post.

I have added the 2x6’s between each post as the bookshelf, for insulation and drywall.

like eddie said, you can create the structure in a bookshelf fashion, but it may be more labor intensive.

/ Pole barn build now or wait? #49  
Here is a picture of what I am doing…maybe this will help.

Attachments

• 054F0B50-50D6-4D02-B601-D942A27AA0D9.jpeg
    054F0B50-50D6-4D02-B601-D942A27AA0D9.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
   / Pole barn build now or wait? #50  
With prices where they are for now, I am thinking about changing plans from a metal shed to wood. I don't need it to last forever, just 30 years or so. What other options do I have? Any advice is welcome. 30x40 is the plan.