Post Hole Diggers

/ Post Hole Diggers #1  

CypressJeff

Tractor
John Deere 5100E
I have a bunch of holes to dig including building fence and right now I have about 30 fruit trees to plant. Our soil is Sandy Loam and after 4' we have clay. I have heard mixed reviews on Post Hole Diggers, some people say they are not worth purchasing yet I read posts on here about people having success with them. If I were to purchase one, I would not spend the $1,500-$1,700 the local JD place quoted me for a BH with 18" auger. I would rather rent one. I would be more open to spending $700 for a King Kutter or something in a similar price range. So, my question is how much trouble are 3point Hitch Post Hole Diggers? I have an International 385 2wd. It's about 45 hp. I planned on the 18" auger because aside from the fruit trees, we will be planting a lot of pecan trees in the next few years. Any advice is appreciated.

/ Post Hole Diggers #2  
I bought a used Woods PHD with a 9" augur for $600 years ago. Well worth it for my rocky TN soil. Wouldn't even consider digging those you'll need without one.

30 trees now plus more later? Not even a question: Buy one, used or not.

Good luck!

/ Post Hole Diggers #3  
What I don't like about a PTO post hole digger is: when the auger finds a tree root or a rock, it screws down fast. Than it wont come out anymore by lifting the 3 point hitch. You can not run the PTO in reverse, so you have to disconnect the auger and manually screw it out of the ground. I don't have the strength for that anymore.
I am thinking of converting the post hole digger to hydraulic.

/ Post Hole Diggers #4  
I usually turn the tractor off for safety and use a pipe wrench on the PTO shaft to reverse it out.

/ Post Hole Diggers #5  
<snip> So, my question is how much trouble are 3point Hitch Post Hole Diggers? <snip>

No trouble at all if you are careful.

Here's what I did in 2013.
Well I now know the brand, quality, difficulty of assembly and if it will work on my B7610.
First of all - This might be lengthy.

My travels brought me within about 2 miles of the Petersburg, Va store so I decided to swing by and maybe get a PHD.

Agrisupply now lists 3 tractor posthole diggers:
#48598 Heavy Duty Post Hole Digger $359.95
#31391 Posthole Digger 50 HP $339.95
#69499 3 Point Post Hole Digger Frame With Gearbox $349.95

I thought any one of the three would do for me, but I like to see things before I buy them.

SO I get there and look. They only had 1 set up, the #31391, and I was told they others in crates, but no #48598's, just #31391's and #69499's, the store guys referred to the #69499's as the "black ones". (They said the metal shroud on it was much cheaper).

Well the #31391 Posthole Digger 50 HP looked ok to me (definitely no Bush Hog but hopefully sturdy enough). So I bought it, a #56932 (9" auger for Dale Philips), and a #56933 (12" auger for Dale Philips). Then also a handful of shear bolts of both sizes. Agrisupply carries 2 line of augers, these looked like the heavier duty ones.

I forgot gear oil, had to buy that later.

Assembly was straightforward. The only problem was I couldn't get the oil drain plug out, but I'll get that later.

Quality - The metal looks good, heavy. The paint job is less than adequate. It's like an afterthought. Big drips, bolts painted solid. Almost reminds me of a rattle can paint job.

So I put it together and found that everything fit and with my 3 PT raised to the max I had about two or three inches of clearance for the point of the auger to miss the ground
View attachment 312493

View attachment 312494

Drilled several hole in fairly soft soil. Seems to work well and a good bang for the buck.

Note that all came with a PTO shaft.

I'm still using it, I've broken some shear pins. Works well on my little 18HP pto B7610 and my 42HP pto M4700. I've probably only drilled about 100 holes or less, so I'm fairly light user. But it beats the heck out of my 2 handle PHD.

/ Post Hole Diggers #6  
Run low rpms, do not lower lift too quickly as it will allow the bit to go in on angle, be sure the one you get will handle the 18 auger if you will be using one that large. Keep lifting it as you dig, it you catch a root it does help some.

I have also wondered about bolting hyd motor on where the pto shaft connects for reversing.

/ Post Hole Diggers #7  
I bought one of those Tractor supply augers about 9yrs ago and I have punched 100s and 100s of holes most of it thur caliche rock and your average top soil, yeah I have ran into roots, but what I have found is that on my Kubota l4400 I run the rpms up to about 1600 and I start it down and ease out about every 6inches or so if I feel it wanting to screw in I imediatley pull it up, it only took one time that I had to get another tractor to come over with its front end loader to give a pull on it and it came free, I have pulled it free by disconnecting it and used the front end loader to pull it out kind of a pain but you learn quickly. and if your planting pecan trees and you got good soil then your only going to need 3 other things to be successful. 1 water, 2 more water, 3 even more water. I have about 30 trees over 15yrs old and during the summer I'm pumping at least 15,000 gallons every other week unless we get a good good rain 2 or 3inches or more. you need to spray zinc and use 21-00-00 for fertilization, Mialathon 57 for pest in the spring and late summer good luck

/ Post Hole Diggers #8  
Keep the RPM's low. I've had mine screw in up to the gear box when I was in a hurry and didn't let it go down a little and then lift it to clear the dirt out of the hole. Not any fun at all to have to use a big pipe wrench and a long breaker bar/pipe to twist it free from whatever it had twisted around...rock/root etc. I've broken about 4 shear bolts. It will make you say words that are very bad to say around proper company when it drills in and won't come out. 9 out of 10 holes will work great and you will be patting yourself on the back for all the work you have saved yourself by not having to use the old hand held post hole diggers.....then....on that one hole, you will spend 30 minutes trying to back that sucker out of the hole and wondering why in the he** you bought the dang thing and how much easier it would be to just do it the old fashioned way....lol :eek:

/ Post Hole Diggers #9  
How about a SSQA digger on the loader hydraulic powered?

/ Post Hole Diggers #10  
I bought one from TSC about 20 years ago. About $360, with a 12 inch auger. I'd rather have the larger auger, it is hard to get the exact point, the 12 inch hole makes position and angle less important. Keep the rpms low, woodpecker in and out. I will say it scares me. I think it is the most dangerous tool I own. If that auger or the shaft bites you, you are Fxxxed.