Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #11  
Me? I'm a Real Man (tm) and only use 55 gal drums that I lift over my head and aim the stream to hit the fill port without so much as a funnel! Arr! Arr Arr! Whilst bellowing like Tarzan!🌴

Oh yeah, right - I just use a hand pump to get 95% of it, consolidate the remainders into one pail and then pour that into the fill port... Pouring from a 5 gal pail into anything but a large, low tub is pure hell, IMO, so I just avoid it.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail
Spout at top as mentioned, then roll spout as pail empties. No tools, one opening, done!
That's how I did it before.
Then I had to use an 5-gal pail to carry diesel, so I put a fuel can vent in that oil pail so it would pour diesel faster and neater.

Then the next time I had to pour from a new 5-gal of hydr oil,,,, knowing how it was easier, faster, neater,,,, I put a vent in from new.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #14  
I bet if there was a vent you wouldn't invert.😉
Anyway this is just a shop tip, not a requirement.
And you do have to plan ahead and have the vents on hand, and proper holes etc.

If you were drilling a gasoline can, maybe 31/64??
But I've been drilling 1/2" and they fit tight and don't spin etc.
If it's a 5 gallon bucket(s) I'm only pouring once each... No way..
If it's a 5 gallon bucket that gets reused like a 5 gallon gas/diesel can... then yeah that would make sense.

If it's a 5 gallon bucket(s) I'm only pouring once each... No way..
If it's a 5 gallon bucket that gets reused like a 5 gallon gas/diesel can... then yeah that would make sense.
sure, you can just drill the hole & discard the empty pail, if you got too many piling up.

I have a few different pcs of eqpt, and poured about 2quarts out thus far.
So the pail is still quite full.
I imagine it will be a few quarts of oil here and there ...... over the next months or year.

I'm _certain_
that I will be pleased to see this little yellow vent
each time I pick up this pail
until it's empty.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #16  
Whether it's engine oil or hydraulic oil - it's much easier to use a funnel on my M6040. I have a metal funnel with two foot flex spout. I wire it up to the FEL or top link so I don't have to hold it.

It takes 16+ gallons of hydraulic oil. Soooo..... pour until tired - rest a spell - pour some more - etc.

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #17  
I used to lift one 5 gal bucket under each arm but then I bought this:

1669558635388.png

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #18  
I'm still real tough. I pour three fives in a 15 gal bucket. Then I pour the 15 gallons in the machine. That way I only have to handle one bucket when pouring.
Good one!!!

I'm still a wuss. I buy mine in 2.5 gal jugs. :ROFLMAO:

/ Pouring hydr oil from a 5-gal pail #19  
The way I do it is the correct method. A 5 gallon pail and a funnel. You dump about a gallon in carefully, your arms get tired, it slips and about a quart dumps all over the place. You finish after a long string of colorful words, then you have an excuse to clean the back of your tractor.

Keeping a pump clean, wiping up the drips etc as you move it from pail to pail could be more effort than this method
pouring-hydr-oil-from-a-5-gal-pail.460686
. And overshooting the hole as you calibrate your high-pour. And mess from overshooting the hole as you adjust. Cleaning a funnel takes time too (before and after).

I’ve done all of this.

(#wasnt.born.yesterday)

View attachment 771920

Drill a 1/2" hole and snap this vent in first thing,,,,,,,
just sayin’….this still looks pretty easy. Agreed its most attractive to those who already have a bag of yellow fuel can vents onhand.