Power Beyond - JD 790

/ Power Beyond - JD 790 #41  
TX ranger
As a point of interest, would you explain what "dead end the three point" means ? Do you see where jmerrit1 could possibly do that with his build, and what needs to be done (or not done) to avoid the "dead end".
I think I understand what you are getting at, and the caution is good.. Just not sure if it is just a third line dumping back to the reservoir.
tks

On the back of my tractor it has 3 lines. One (1) is a supply line that comes off the power beyond port of the loader valve (SCV in JD speak). The second (2) line connects to the first and it supplies the 3 point hitch when the backhoe is not attached. The third (3) line has a dust cover.

When I attach the backhoe, I get close to the backhoe and shut off the engine. Disconnect line 1 from line 2. Line 1 then attaches to the backhoe supply line. The return from backhoe goes to line 3 on the tractor which just dumps back into the transmission. Line 2 on the tractor side gets a dust cover. The 3 point hitch gets no supply at this point.

What I mean by dead end is if you happen to bump the 3 point lever the rock shaft could raise up and hit part of the backhoe brackets. It may not be possible on a 790, but on mine it can hit stuff. When the rock shaft stops it will dead end the hydraulic circuit and cause the loader relief valve to open and in the process pressurize the entire backhoe circuit at 2500 psi or whatever the relief pressure is set to. Most hydraulic valves aren't designed to have pump pressure on the tank port. They will probably survive but it could be an expensive and messy "oops".

Aside from adding a 3rd line, you could also adjust the three point thumb screw stop to keep the handle all the way down when the backhoe is on. My toddler loves to sit on the seat and play with all the levers, gone are the days I can trust that nobody has touched things!