Project Trailer Cost

/ Project Trailer Cost #1  

Creamer

Elite Member
Tractor
1710 Ford, Versatile 150
2002 TEXAS BRAGG 10k 14' x 81 1/2'' Trailer HD , NEEDS FINISHED , frame has ben taken down to metal, treated , primed and painted top and bottom , New fenders and backs installed , New shackles , bolts and bushings, New equalizers , New center bolts in springs . 2 5/16'' ball , 6 lug rims , HD jack ,and safety chains. Needs , Axle , Deck , and lights. Has 6 DOT Trailer tires and rims that have 8/32 or 75% tread one tire is brand new with sticker , rims and axle ? needs finished and painted. NEW parts that go with are , all 4 complete brake assy , mounting bolts and nuts , axle seals ,U bolts ,dust caps , battery and break away kit, 3 tubes of grease , all shown in pics. The reason for selling in this stage I messed my back up

He is asking $2200.

My questions that I am looking for information on:
Is 14' a little short for this heavy of axle trailer?
How expensive is an axle and does it need to be original to match the existing one?
It is for hauling my tractors and lawnmowers on - all fit easily except my Versatile 150 which is about 12.5' long to the 2' high rail point on the tires so it would overhang and gives me about an inch on each side - is this too tight to mess with?
Is it a fair price?

/ Project Trailer Cost #2  
eTrailer will give you a good ball park cost on the cost of parts.

If you’re planning on carrying heavy loads then the can’t be too heavy duty. As to the size, does it work for what you want to do. If you can track down manufacturers information on the trailer to be sure it was designed for the load. You frequently find used trailers that folks have upmodded axles, etc. Beyond what the trailer can actually hold.

AS to whether it is a good deal. You need to look at how much comparable trailers are costing locally.

/ Project Trailer Cost #3  
It’s probably $400 for a 5200 pound axel. Per the lowes website about $215 plus the hardware to fasten it with plus tax for enough lumber to deck it. I’d say somewhere around $200 for lights. All of the above prices are just for the material not to install them. And yes 14’ is pretty short to move a tractor.

/ Project Trailer Cost
One of my concerns is being able to get the proper tongue weight on that short of trailer with a tractor that I believe is fairly well balanced in lbs/ft of length and what looks like kind of a short tailed trailer. I am thinking maybe this trailer is more for a skid steer or mini-ex where there is a lot of weight toward the backend.

/ Project Trailer Cost
It’s probably $400 for a 5200 pound axel. Per the lowes website about $215 plus the hardware to fasten it with plus tax for enough lumber to deck it. I’d say somewhere around $200 for lights. All of the above prices are just for the material not to install them. And yes 14’ is pretty short to move a tractor.
Thanks for the axle price.

/ Project Trailer Cost
eTrailer will give you a good ball park cost on the cost of parts.

If you’re planning on carrying heavy loads then the can’t be too heavy duty. As to the size, does it work for what you want to do. If you can track down manufacturers information on the trailer to be sure it was designed for the load. You frequently find used trailers that folks have upmodded axles, etc. Beyond what the trailer can actually hold.

AS to whether it is a good deal. You need to look at how much comparable trailers are costing locally.
I had not been on etrailer before. Thanks! Very interesting website for this project. I like that they are selling Dexter axles - it is a hometown preference for me.

/ Project Trailer Cost #7  
You are gonna have $3500 I'm it by the time you are done. With alot of labor.

Just a few years ago a NEW 14k 20' was less than that. And this project trailer would have likely only been worth $800 or so.

I still cannot wrap my head around current trailer prices.

But if it is structurally sound, and you think it's best you can do for $3500 in your area...go for it if you need a trailer

/ Project Trailer Cost #8  
I'll second the idea that 14 feet may be too short. I have a 16 ft 7K trailer. My tractor is small but with the loader and blade on I need most of the length to get the balance correct. You don't just need enough length to get the equipment on, you need to be able to adjust the balance.

/ Project Trailer Cost #9  
I'm not sure what you are hauling but a 14 foot trailer is to short to be an equipment trailer, can you make it work (yes) will you be happy with it? probably not. but that's just my opinion

/ Project Trailer Cost #10  
For anything other than a bare tractor 14' is too short. A tractor without a loader or implement won't be much good.

I have a 18' car trailer. My tractor with a loader and mower attached hangs off the back at least 2'.