Proposed ban on gas stoves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Proposed ban on gas stoves... #61  
Now they want to force electric ranges on us? Won’t that put even greater demand on the already stressed-out system?
Good question. It would be interesting to see the numbers on this. How many households cook on gas vs. electric, plotted vs. time since 1950.

An electric range or oven in most households is indeed going to use much of its power during peak hours, when you don't want to be further loading the grid. But how many households are we really talking about, here? What fraction of the population is really using gas cooktops and ovens, today? I don't know...

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #62  
Good question. It would be interesting to see the numbers on this. How many households cook on gas vs. electric, plotted vs. time since 1950.

An electric range or oven in most households is indeed going to use much of its power during peak hours, when you don't want to be further loading the grid. But how many households are we really talking about, here? What fraction of the population is really using gas cooktops and ovens, today? I don't know...
The percentage is very high. I thought I heard like 50% on the radio this morning.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #63  
The percentage is very high. I thought I heard like 50% on the radio this morning.
Really depend if NG is at your location. If it is piped to the house it most likely is being used. No access to NG the most likely energy source is Electric.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #64  
Nobody has mentioned if it’s a good idea or what is actually happening when your stove burns propane or natural gas inside a closed room.
“It was good enough for pappy, so it’s good enough for me!”

“Meh…we’re only poisoning ourselves a little bit…a little bit of odorless, carbon monoxide won’t hurt anyone.”

…I’ll stay away from the discussions about whether the government should ban dangerous products…

…let’s just stick to the facts about burning propane and NG indoors. In possibly and sometimes vented conditions, but often not. A good idea or n

My house is equip with something called a hood vent .... and CO2 detector

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #65  
Okay, just did some quick research. I'm seeing one quote for 35%, which is more than I had suspected. I'd believe that another source may be as high as 50%, although I didn't see it myself, there's always a lot of error and bias in these estimates.

I also pulled up the circuit utilization of our all-electric range, and I see we put 17 - 25 kWh on that circuit every month. My wife cooks on that stove/oven at least 6 dinners per week, as well as occasional lunches. Our household usage is about 3000 kWh per month, so the electric range makes up about 0.7% of our household usage. Our primary heat is wood and oil, so the fraction would be smaller if we were the more typical heatpump household.

Based on these numbers, we'd expect the increased hit to the grid would be less than 0.35 x .007 = 0.25% of current usage, if every owner of a gas stove instantly threw theirs in the garbage, and switched to an electric range. Not a lot, even if it's mostly at peak hours.

Someone please check my math on this, as it seems low to me. I honestly expected the numbers to be bigger than that.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #66  
My house is equip with something called a hood vent .... and CO2 detector

Seems foolproof. What could go wrong?

Kidding aside, it’s a good idea to vent the poison that burning gas inside your home creates, and detect it before they get to the levels that will kill you and your family.

…again, I’m not saying it’s government’s job to drastically correct the whitewashing and propaganda we’ve got from the petroleum industry on how safe burning gas products INSIDE our homes is.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves...
Really depend if NG is at your location. If it is piped to the house it most likely is being used. No access to NG the most likely energy source is Electric.

Probably depends on which part of the country you're in. In northern Nevada, everyone living outside of town has a big propane tank sitting in their yard. Much cheaper - and more dependable - to use propane for hot water heaters and cook stoves than electricity. And the cost differential is going up - I'm still paying the same for propane as I did 5 years ago but electricity costs have gone up 30% in the last year.

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #68  
Nobody has mentioned if it’s a good idea or what is actually happening when your stove burns propane or natural gas inside a closed room.
“It was good enough for pappy, so it’s good enough for me!”

“Meh…we’re only poisoning ourselves a little bit…a little bit of odorless, carbon monoxide won’t hurt anyone. …or the increased carbon dioxide”

…I’ll stay away from the discussions about whether the government should ban dangerous products…

…let’s just stick to the facts about burning propane and NG indoors. In possibly and sometimes vented conditions, but often not. A good idea or no?

If I want to back my truck through my wall and piss exhaust right into my living room, I will; who the hell are you?

/ Proposed ban on gas stoves... #69  
I think this is a case of well intended people not considering all of the ramifications of their societal "improvements". I am sure the facts will bore out that gas stoves reduce indoor air quality. I also tend to suspect the are evaluating the worst possible situations and present them as more common than they actually are.
One of the contributing factors to the rise of homelessness and the rising cost of housing are streams of regulations that are accurately aimed at improving the quality of the home while at same time taking them out of the range of affordability for some. I am not saying this is the cause of homelessness, but it is a little bit of fuel to make the flame bigger and needs to be part of all things considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.