pto backup generator

/ pto backup generator #51  
A tractors throttle IS governed! Set the throttle under an average load and the tractors governor takes care of the spikes...

2hp per 1,000 watts will keep everything cool and allows for a long service life...

SR
Ya. How else do they hold 540rpm or any consistent speed? You set it to the appropriate engine RPM with the hand throttle & go. It holds it until you surpass max torque the engine can generate, then it starts lugging.

/ pto backup generator #53  
If you have the time to assemble your own PTO generator and carrier from parts, consider the folks at Central Georgia Generator and check out the rigs their customers have built:

Central Georgia Generator Customer Gallery

Last edited:
   / pto backup generator #54  
I don't really notice the noise over the 45hp Yanmar Direct Injection engine at 2500rpm.
I don't really notice it on my tractor with the pto at 540, at 2,000...

It's really no big deal, I can't even hear the tractor/generator running when I'm in the house...

For maintenance, my genset manual says, "change the armature bearings every 80,000 hours"...yes, eighty thousand!

I don't think I'll be running it 9 plus YEARS of continuous running over MY life time!!

SR

/ pto backup generator #55  
For maintenance, my genset manual says, "change the armature bearings every 80,000 hours"...yes, eighty thousand!

I don't think I'll be running it 9 plus YEARS of continuous running over MY life time!!

SR

Yeah Seriously, I've had mine over a year and only put 25 hours on it -- Most of them after the huge windstorm that knocked out power throughout the northeast last October. It sure came in handy tho! I ran it four days, about 5 hours per day, as needed to run the well pump and appliances.

/ pto backup generator #56  
I heard you should figure 2hp per kw....is that still a good figure?
2HP per Kw gives margin for motor starting and allows operation of the engine at less than full rated load . Fuel efficiency will suffer however with a 40HP engine driving a 20KW load vs a 30HP engine driving a 20KW load.

/ pto backup generator #57  
I just recently setup a generator for the house.

Wanted easiest setup for wife or anyone I needed to set it up when I am out of town.

It’s a champion power equipment model 100110 ( 9,200 running watts, 11,500 max watts). I have a interlock switch to prevent the main breaker and generator breaker from being able to be on at the same time.

I am currently keeping 28 gallons of fuel on hand with a full tank ( 7.7 gallons) in the portable generator. It is said to get 10 hours at 50% load on the 7.7 gallons. So I got just under 5 full tanks/ 50 hours of fuel available. I am looking into a 55 gallon drum to store more fuel.

Overall, it’s simple to setup and get on line, runs all but my stove, oven m, dryer and AC. I can run some of the stove but not all.

I don’t want to loose wattage output by converting to LP or NG. Happy with the setup overall. $3,500 at most invested. IMG_2864.JPG

/ pto backup generator #58  
I just recently setup a generator for the house.

Wanted easiest setup for wife or anyone I needed to set it up when I am out of town.

It’s a champion power equipment model 100110 ( 9,200 running watts, 11,500 max watts). I have a interlock switch to prevent the main breaker and generator breaker from being able to be on at the same time.

I am currently keeping 28 gallons of fuel on hand with a full tank ( 7.7 gallons) in the portable generator. It is said to get 10 hours at 50% load on the 7.7 gallons. So I got just under 5 full tanks/ 50 hours of fuel available. I am looking into a 55 gallon drum to store more fuel.

Overall, it’s simple to setup and get on line, runs all but my stove, oven m, dryer and AC. I can run some of the stove but not all.

I don’t want to loose wattage output by converting to LP or NG. Happy with the setup overall. $3,500 at most invested. View attachment 569878

And by cycling it, the fuel will last a lot longer. Your freezer will go over a day without power, the fridge about 5 hours. During a long outage, we take showers when the generator is running as we are on a well. Typically run it an hour every 5-6 hours. So 5 hours a day. Doing that your current fuel supply will last 7- 10 days. Ethanol free gas will last longer but is 35% more costly, so we use 10% ethanol with Seafoam added, but we only keep it for a year, then use it in the vehicles.

If you go with a 55 gallon drum, it needs to be vented. We have a 300 gallon tank with a hose and fill nozzle to make dispensing safe and easy. Our codes here call for it to be 50’ from a building. Before getting the tank, I had 10 5 gallon plastic gas cans stored in the garage but was always worried about how the insurance company would view that if I had a fire. The tank is safer and is handy for fueling the snowmobiles, lawn tractor and the other stuff we have.

/ pto backup generator #59  
And by cycling it, the fuel will last a lot longer. Your freezer will go over a day without power, the fridge about 5 hours. During a long outage, we take showers when the generator is running as we are on a well. Typically run it an hour every 5-6 hours. So 5 hours a day. Doing that your current fuel supply will last 7- 10 days. Ethanol free gas will last longer but is 35% more costly, so we use 10% ethanol with Seafoam added, but we only keep it for a year, then use it in the vehicles.

If you go with a 55 gallon drum, it needs to be vented. We have a 300 gallon tank with a hose and fill nozzle to make dispensing safe and easy. Our codes here call for it to be 50’ from a building. Before getting the tank, I had 10 5 gallon plastic gas cans stored in the garage but was always worried about how the insurance company would view that if I had a fire. The tank is safer and is handy for fueling the snowmobiles, lawn tractor and the other stuff we have.

I can get ethanol free also, but plan to do 10% or less. I am treating with PRI-G fuel treatment. Have seen videos and reviews that say it’s amazing.

Unless I know we are gonna be our for a really long time, we will probably keep it running most of the time for tv and all the other conveniences.

/ pto backup generator #60  
As for hooking it up, just back the tractor up to it, hook the pto shaft and start the pto..

Not too big a deal as far as I'm concerned, especially when you consider the money saved....

But, you do have to be there to do that.

We travel a lot. And, I would not expect my wife to do that while I'm at work. She can drive/operate the tractor, but I can't see her hooking up a 3pt implement. Especially if the backhoe happens to be on and needs to be detached first...

For me, a propane powered stand-by is well worth the money spent. The fuel never goes bad, there is always ample amount of fuel on hand, and the exercise cycle means that all systems are tested on a weekly basis.