pto backup generator

/ pto backup generator #1  

corl

Silver Member
Tractor
2013 Kubota MX5100 HST, 1989 Kubota F2100
Does anyone have experience using a PTO generator for backup power for their home? I am looking at them for back up electrical power using a transfer switch for our home. Since I have an MX5100 I could use a 20KW generator but the closest one I can find is 15KW which should work for me. I was looking at stand alone propane units but I don't have NG or propane available and delivery is problematic where I live in the winter. As a produce farmer I have access to off road diesel so that would be best. I don't need another engine to look after. Nunamaker Farms - Home

/ pto backup generator #2  
I've been using a Winco 15kw for years and years...

It's worked just fine for me and I always have my tractor ready to go.

SR

/ pto backup generator #3  
I was thinking of getting one when I buy my new tractor.

However, after realizing that power is something that is hard for me to do without, I am going to get a commercial diesel genset that is street hot-fillable.

It's fine if you've got city water, but not having water to flush commodes and to even take a shower or cook, it becomes very difficult. The basics of living become very difficult.

I was without power for 4 days this past spring, and I practically couldn't do anything without water.

This was when I realized how much I need good electricity.

Plus it adds value to the house.

/ pto backup generator #4  
I'm not sure what the above post means?

My pto generator powers my WHOLE house, EVERYTHING, and if you were in the house and I didn't tell you there was a tractor out side making the power, you would never know it.

SR

/ pto backup generator #5  
I've been using a Winco 15kw for years and years...

It's worked just fine for me and I always have my tractor ready to go.
This is the reason I got a PTO unit. However, I've changed over to a stationary unit. The PTO generator I ended up with could not be used in inclement weather and it tied up the tractor for other things that needed to be done after the storm. We are now getting older and it is more difficult to hook up implements and I don't think my wife could handle it, which is the primary reason for the switch to a stationary unit. I now have a Generac 22KW unit with ATS. I lived in Florida when a hurricane came thru and we lost power for 9 days. I calculated the burn rate of the generator at full load for 9 days and got a propane tank for that. I can't see ever running it at full load during an outage like that, we can do without some things like the electric oven, etc. for awhile. Since you don't have reliable propane delivery (you can get large tanks - I have 1000 gal buried tank) I think you can get a diesel standby generator. The exercising on a regular basis is very important to the generators. The PTO one I had never got exercised as often as it should have and gave me lots of problems. This stationary machine just works and works with only occasional maintenance.

BTW, my PTO gen was not a Winco. I don't know much about Winco other than their reputation is very good.

/ pto backup generator #6  
SR -- What I am referring to is that the convenience factor of having a dedicated genset that has automatic transfer is much better in my opinion than a PTO genset. Plus, having the tractor tied up to power the house when trying to cleanup after a storm is crucial. It also puts more wear and tear on the tractor.

At the end of the day, if all I could afford was a newer tractor and a PTO genset, I'd go that route.

/ pto backup generator #7  
I looked into these and they make sense IF you are not going to run the generator full time AND you have on site diesel fuel storage. They need to run at 540 RPM so pretty close to full throttle on most tractors. I do not like the idea of running a tractor unattended for long periods of time. And during an emergency, it will be advantageous to have the tractor available for other things. Having said that, I do not run my gas generator continuously during an outage either. It sucks too much fuel and I only have 100-250 gals of gas on hand at any one time. My main generator is an 11Kw Honda with electric start so my fiancé can start it if I am not home. And that is backed up with a 5000 watt Generac.

Frankly, the Honda has way more power than I need and I am going to sell it and buy a smaller unit (with electric start) that consumes less fuel. I got the Honda from a friend going through a divorce or I would never have bought something that big. The Hondas are not cheap, but mine has never failed to start.

/ pto backup generator #8  
I use a 25kva on my B3200. Runs it fine and is a cheap alternative to setting up a dedicated unit with auto transfer. If you don't need a backup very often then the tractor unit is great. If my power was going off all the time then I would consider a stationary unit. Fortunately our power is very reliable.

/ pto backup generator #9  
I'm not sure why folks worry about putting hrs on their tractor???

Personally, I wouldn't buy a tractor that I couldn't leave at pto speed for hours or even days at a time. I would do it with mine and not worry about it at all, after all, isn't that why you bought the tractor in the first place?? To be used when you need it most? How often does your tractor need to be left running for days at a time over it's life to worry about that??

Over the years, we have had some big storms and some of them have caused power outages. I can honestly say, I've never needed my tractor to run full time during an outage, so it is available for use during those down times.

During an major outage, either the rain is pouring down and I don't want to go out and "clean up" during that, or it's snow that caused the problem and there's no hurry clearing that out, as the roads aren't open anyway, so where am I going to go? We are the type of people who keep enough food and other supplies around here, so we don't have to run every day!

As for convenience, there's no doubt it's more work to have to go out and start a tractor than sit in the house in front of the TV, but I do not run my pto gen set unless it's an long term outage, I wouldn't want an auto start genset wasting fuel/money starting every time there's a little blip in the power either. We have LED lights scattered around the house and a couple LED lanterns too.

For long term power outage, which isn't often, it's no big deal to me to use my pto genset. Of course, some one else may be a lot more power Hungary than we are.

SR

/ pto backup generator #10  
I looked into pto generators a few years ago, even bought my last tractor with enough pto hp to run a 15kw generator. Haven’t pulled the tigger yet though.
Currently I run a Generac 7kw open frame unit powering one 200a panel on an interlock switch, so I have to pick and choose circuits. The generator sits close to the house and it is LOUD, plus I have to maintain 55 gallons of gas on hand.
I also would have no problem running my tractor 24/7, but in reality it would probably be shut down at night. My issue with a pto generator years ago was the wife setting it up if I was at work. Now retired, that’s not a problem.
Now my debate is to just bite the bullet and get a whole house natural gas genset with auto transfer... I’m still all over the page!