PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors?
The PTO generators I a looking have have a THD of less than 5%, the IMD with AVR is <1%, this is from IMD when I spoke to them. It seems the ones under 15/16KW have lower THD than the larger ones, at least the ones I have looked at. Point is, I am good with that and the electronics should be fine with that distortion

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #42  
Might want to check out Central Georgia Generators. Just Google them for web site. They have pto kits for good prices. I'm thinking of getting one through them.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #43  
Bad information from you (as usual).. If the generator has a gas engine, then it will be 2 pole. If it's diesel powered, then 4 pole because diesel engines don't make enough rpm to produce 60 hertz.

Ie: 60 Hz at 3600 rpm (gas)
60 Hz at 1800 rpm (diesel)

My Generac is 4 pole, diesel powered.
I have propane powered generator which is a gas engine, 460 Ford to be exact and the it is three phase with 6 poles, reconnect-able. Of course it runs 1800.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #44  
Maybe a VFD is in your future.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #45  
I don't understand why their TX12 can't start a 3 hp motor. 12,000 watts is about 5 times the running wattage of your 3 HP motor. But what really matters is the current draw when starting. Depending on the motor and the mechanical load on the motor when it starts the starting current can be more, much more, than 5 times the running current. I think Baumalight is just trying to cover their butt because they don't know what the starting current of your motor is going to be.
Anyway, if you have already bought the generator all is not lost. Furthermore, if you haven't bought it but really want it or something similar you can still do so. What you need is a soft starter. Even though you can build one yourself I have a sneaking suspicion that you would rather not. So, for your size of motor, a soft starter can be had for less than 150 frog pelts, AKA greenbacks. For example check out this link: ATS01N112FT | Altistart 01 Soft Start (ATS01), for Asynchronous Motor, 12A, 110-480V, 1.5-7.5 HP, 1.5-5.5 kW, Single-phase, Integrated Bypass, w/Heat Sink Pack of 1 | Square D by Schneider Electric . $136.90 for a soft starter that can handle your 3 HP well pump while at the same time protecting your Baumalight generator. Of course you should ask Baumalight if using a soft starter is OK but it should be. After all what really matters is what the load is that the generator sees.
Cheers,
Eric
I'm not sure that is what is needed here. Looked at the specs and it appears, at least to me, that the 7.5 HP, 5.5KW is for a 3-phase application (although the specs also say it is a 1-phase starter so who knows?). Quoting the spec:

"This Altistart 01 can be used for a motor rated power up to 5.5kW or 7.5hp for 3-phase (110V to 480V AC) and up to 1.5kW for single phase (110V to 230V AC)."

I wonder how all that actually shapes up for starting a 3HP motor (unless it's a 3-phase and the device does 3-phase as well).

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #46  
I was looking at Baumalight's site at the TX12 specifically, and it had a warning in the manual to not use for over 2HP motors or the generator could be damaged. I emailed Baumalight and they confirmed, none of the TX series are rated for more than 2HP regardless of watts, and they recommend the 4 pole KR or QC series. I have a 3HP well pump and need something to power it.

If Baumalight says this, do other manufacturers - Winco, Northstar, IMD, HF- have a similar requirement? I have looked at some of them but have never come across this type of warning.

For those with PTO generators, do you run motors larger than 2 HP and if so, are there any problems or issues?
The starting inrush current for an induction motor can be as high as 7 times the full load running current (FLA).

You may want to check into a soft start kit for your well pump motor, which will reduce the starting inrush current.

Yes, this is very real.

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #47  
An old trick to start larger electric motors is to run up a smaller (say 1hp) motor up to full speed and then switch the larger motor inline (parallel) to the running motor.
The smaller motor will actually act as a generator for a second or two assisting the generator with the surge necessary to start the larger motor.
Disconnect the "assisting" motor after the big boy starts.

My two cents worth...
That's a cool idea. Would adding a flywheel to the smaller motor enhance the generator effect?

If one where to do that, I wonder how small a gen could start a 1 1/2 HP well pump motor (which is what I have and my 3 KW generator won't, not surprisingly, start it)?

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #48  
I have propane powered generator which is a gas engine, 460 Ford to be exact and the it is three phase with 6 poles, reconnect-able. Of course it runs 1800.

With 6 poles it has to run at 1200 rpm to generate 60 htz.

The formula is rpm = (htz x 60 x 2) / number of poles

(60 x 60 x 2) / 6 = 1,200

/ PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #49  
Most of the entire home generators sold today are 2 pole generators, So, that would have to be true for them too.

SR
It is for the low HP gen sets that we are talking about in this thread. Most get high demand loads (causing voltage sag) placed on them from individuals not being able to manage loads.
If you know how to manage your loads, it not as much of a problem.
I did look up to see if a PTO gen company stated thier pto gensets are for farm use and not for resdential loads.
See link below where it states this for Baumalight 2 pole PTO gensets.
Link basically says, not designed for electronic loads in households or shops.

A good example off this is one of my neighbors has replaced there inverter refrigerator because of poor AC waveform due to voltage sag from the utility power they have. Not even voltage sag from a PTO genset.

Showed them on a recording oscilloscope what happens to thier power at peak demand on the utility vs my off grid inverter perfect sine wave.
My inverter fridge is still running strong after 15 years.
Utility has since begun adjusted thier voltage tap during high demand seasons for this feeder.

Last edited:
   / PTO Generator inadequate for larger HP motors? #50  
Bad information from you (as usual).. If the generator has a gas engine, then it will be 2 pole. If it's diesel powered, then 4 pole because diesel engines don't make enough rpm to produce 60 hertz.

Ie: 60 Hz at 3600 rpm (gas)
60 Hz at 1800 rpm (diesel)

My Generac is 4 pole, diesel powered.
mis-information is posted above, 2 pole generators don't care if they are being driven by a gasoline prime mover or a diesel prime mover or a hydraulic prime mover. neither do 4 pole or 6 pole gensets.

I like to see things corrected if thier is some bad information I inadvertantly post or because I lack knowledge and shouldn't have posted in the first place. Both have been the case for me, but I go back and correct it and reply with an update.

Most of the entire home generators sold today are 2 pole generators, So, that would have to be true for them too.

SR
I see his post as being conscientious and also took this as a statement and as a question to me. so I responded with more information.