Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #11  
Here is my do all dump box. Can't add anything more, only that you well like one. Sure can do alot with one.

Attachments

• IMG_0007a.jpg
    IMG_0007a.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_0009a.jpg
    IMG_0009a.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 1,169
   / Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #12  
Anyone have any opinions on these dump boxes that go on a 3pt hitch. They look pretty handy and would eliminate my need for a trailer with more tires and storage issues. I think i like the idea of being able to raise and lower the box for loading. Just never really seen one in use so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I always like to get opinions before buying these days. Too many good ways to share information like this forum.

The one I'm thinking of is like the one mkmartin.ca sells.

Thanks

I looked at the mkmartin site, they have 2 models. Are they cat 1 and cat 2?

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #13  
I purchased a carry all then took it back. I decided I would rather have some forks for my 3ph and then get some wooden pallets to move things around. I was disappointed with the ground clearance with the carry all when all the way up.

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #14  
We have one, it works well, downsides are:
1. Its a pain to hoop up, it sits so low to the ground that it is a pain to hook to the 3 point
2. Has to be loaded by hand

On the positive side:
1. It can go very low to the ground
2. You can put a lot in it
3. Its easy to dump

Ours has a wedge shaped piece of metal to keep it from dumping, we had to add a lightweight bungee cord to it as otherwise when we were on bumpy ground it would unlatch and dump.
It currently has a Mercruiser 470 engine in it (waiting for someone to buy it or me to scrap it).

Aaron Z

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #15  
This is off topic but your post reminded me - way back as our first house we bought an old 1850's farm house and gutted it. The chimney was soft brick with no liner and you could see thru it in some places. The studs were black with soot. Don't know how the place didn't burn down. So I took the chimney down. I bought an old trailer and parked it below then started picking bricks off and dropping them into the trailer, first from the roof then from the up stairs window. When the trailer looked about full I went down to get rid of the load. The only trouble was that my trailer had two flat tires and a broken axle and a nice big load of bricks :laughing:

I'd wager everybody was not happy that week 8^)

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #16  
We have one, it works well, downsides are:
1. Its a pain to hoop up, it sits so low to the ground that it is a pain to hook to the 3 point
2. Has to be loaded by hand

On the positive side:
1. It can go very low to the ground
2. You can put a lot in it
3. Its easy to dump

Ours has a wedge shaped piece of metal to keep it from dumping, we had to add a lightweight bungee cord to it as otherwise when we were on bumpy ground it would unlatch and dump.
It currently has a Mercruiser 470 engine in it (waiting for someone to buy it or me to scrap it).

Aaron Z

I have the same problem with it being so low to the ground that it's hard to hitch it up.
I store it on a pallet, which keeps it off the wet soil and lifts it just enough to make hitching easy.
Thought about adding some legs to the bottom to raise it up so I wouldn't need to keep a pallet on hand ...

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #17  
That my attachment unlikely is a 3ph dump BOX. This is more like 3ph dump BUCKET. :confused3:
OK, whatever it is, it has no cylinder, but kinematically operated. And I can't live without it. :thumbsup:

kausas3.jpgkausas4.jpgkausas5.jpg

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #18  
Several years ago I built one. My shop burned three years ago with my tractor and dump box full of wood in it. I still use the box on my smaller JD2210 to haul in wood. Wifey also likes it to do yard work. It's my most used attachment on the small tractor.

DSC01087_zps9dfb0573.jpg

DSC01817_zps8df22325.jpg

DSC00397_zps5367a7f9.jpg

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #19  
I have one and like it a lot. (see photo) It essentially turns your tractor into a small pickup truck for off-road uses. These "Tipping Transport Boxes" are common in Europe and other parts of the world. As others have mentioned, the hitch points are close to the ground, so you have to either place blocks or a pallet underneath when it is disconnected or you have to extend the lift links on the 3 point hitch. But there is a good reason the points are close to the ground--to allow ground clearance for the box to dump when it is fully raised. With the tailgate removed you can just back into a pile of loose material such as gravel, mulch, snow, etc. to load the box. Then after dumping, you lower the box to the ground and the latch automatically reengages. You have to determine if the lift capacity of your tractor 3-point hitch is sufficient for the loads you want to carry. But the most important consideration is that you need to have adequate FRONT counterbalance weight such as a loader on your tractor. Without front weight on the tractor, the front wheels may not have enough downforce to be able to steer.
TTBox.jpg

/ Question about 3pt hitch dump boxes #20  
But the most important consideration is that you need to have adequate FRONT counterbalance weight such as a loader on your tractor. Without front weight on the tractor, the front wheels may not have enough downforce to be able to steer.
That's true. To set off a bucket I'm using a ballast adapted from unknown tractor at the front. Total weight of ballast is 250 kg (550 lbs). Empty bucket weights 210 kg (462 lbs).

Balastas 5.jpg