Re-Decking a Trailer

/ Re-Decking a Trailer #11  
There is no need for PT wood on a trailer deck. If I were replacing a deck today I would use Oak planks and give them a couple of coats of a good UV sealant. Then, after installation, I would undercoat with a rubberized automotive undercoating.

Clean and recoat the deck surface with a UV sealant every couple of years and the new deck should outlast you.

/ Re-Decking a Trailer #12  
Painting, If it remained completely intact would be a good option. However, a scratch or chip of the paint's surface provides an entryway for the moisture, especially on a horizontal surface such as a trailer deck, and instead of keeping water out, the paint traps it inside the wood, accelerating decay.

Jeff

/ Re-Decking a Trailer
It's not rotting yet, but it will need painted this year if not replaced.

/ Re-Decking a Trailer #14  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I've found buying green oak cheaper and stronger than the pine lumber at the box stores.

And I don't see the advantages of treated except for ground contact.

Check around. There might be a mill that cranks out oak planks for pallets etc. You'll find it cheaper than pine finished lumber. )</font>

Harv - Do you know of a mill in our area that has the green oak? My trailer needs a new floor and it's only 5 years old. I painted it (top only) when I bought it, but it stays parked beneath the trees and I have a bad habit of ignoring it when I don't need it.

Steve