/ Rear Discharge Mower Gearbox #1  

alpha&omega

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere - 3046R / 3038E Kubota - B3200
Ok gents…here goes.

I have a 2022 Woods 84” Rear Discharge Mower TKP84.40 (TurfKeeper Pro), and despite my trying the gearbox keeps getting water in it. I know it’s water because the gearbox oil is milky. It was recently replaced, as was the o-ring for the vented dipstick.
I first noticed the issue over the winter, even though the deck was kept inside for most of the winter, and when it was stored outside it was on blocks and covered up with an extra heavy duty military grade waterproof tarp. This obviously won’t stop any condensation underneath, or any that builds inside the gearbox.

So I’m asking for some advice. Should I put some pipe dope on the dipstick threads? If so, should I be using something like “Brush-On/Blue Block” Hercules thread sealant, since it’s gear oil. This is the stuff guys use for hydraulic lines, although I’m not sure if it’s safe for gear oil, yet I do know it’s not safe with synthetic rubber.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-adam

/ Rear Discharge Mower Gearbox
Is there a way to stop that, other than replacing the gearbox dipstick with a non-vented one (which puts my seals at risk)?

/ Rear Discharge Mower Gearbox #5  
I don't know that you can stop it from developing moisture from condensation, those gear boxes get REALLY hot with no way to cool. Keeping it covered after it has cooled off should help keep the amount of water it develops but I doubt anything will stop it from happening. You do need to keep the vent in place.

That being said I have a mower that when not in use I store in the tractor shed vertically to make room for everything. The gear box on it gets hot enough it actually burned me when I accidentally touched it last time I used it. Anyway before I store it I remove the vent and replace it with a regular pipe plug to prevent the lube from leaking out. So far no condensation in it and I consider that just pure luck.

I have a belly mower that I store like that and you’re absolutely right, they can get toasty…that’s for sure!

/ Rear Discharge Mower Gearbox #7  
If you seal up a gearbox so it's not vented it will blow out your shaft seals to vent itself. Vents are there for a reason.

If you seal up a gearbox so it's not vented it will blow out your shaft seals to vent itself. Vents are there for a reason.
I understand that and you are correct. I was referring to changing it out while the mower is being stored, not during use. During use the gearbox gets way too hot for a non-vented plug to do anything except blow the seals out.
When the temp changes (esp cold weather) the vented dipsticks can be beneficial as well, but I wasn’t sure if maybe it’s not venting enough causing excess buildup of moisture/condensation in the gearbox. It’s surprising to see the gear oil so milky after recently changing it out.

/ Rear Discharge Mower Gearbox #10  
I’ve got a Woods PRD8400 and an RD60 rear finish, rear discharge mowers. Both are living in a barn on the floor on the wheels (not standing upright) in a shady spot in the corner. I just finished maintenance on both of them and I never have any trouble with milky oil in the gear box now. Even not after 10 years of the same oil in the gearbox.

Here is a story for you: when I first got the rear discharge mower, one of them always gets a bit muddy. Being nice as I thought I was, I cleaned the deck top and bottom with the garden hose and it the pressure washer. Even so I didn’t directly spray on the gearbox, the oil was milky in the gearbox and the bearings in the spindles were bad faster.

I quit cleaning the mowers, leave them dirty and just lube the spindles after the 3rd use. Sharpen the blade and check the oil every year. After 10 years, the oil gets replaced and I’ve got no more problems with the oil being milky.

The other problem is that it takes a while for the milky oil to be totally replaced. I think I had to fill the gearbox up twice or three times before the milky oil disappeared. I can imagine a cold day and then the sun beating on it makes the gearbox breath. So find a cool spot, no sun, no water = no trouble.

Last edited: