Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
Not much We’ve had quite a bit of rain. Just got 2nd application of fresh cat litter and pulverized it into stains.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #42  
I would just buy asphalt sealer and re seal it . The customer will like the new lol ok his driveway and think you are a superstar
The drive sealer is cheaper then the labor you guys are talking and never gets rid of the stain

J

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #43  
I would just buy asphalt sealer and re seal it . The customer will like the new lol ok his driveway and think you are a superstar
The drive sealer is cheaper then the labor you guys are talking and never gets rid of the stain

J
Issue with that is the driveway is 1000’ long

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #44  
When I was a kid working in a gas station I had to clean up a lot of oil and gas spills. Used oil dry and a swiveling mop handle with a 2x4 bolted to the end of it to break down and rub it in. Worked pretty good. Nothing in this world will make the stain disappear completely other than time and weather. I commend your efforts of taking responsibility.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #45  
I've had good luck using Simple Green concentrate a power washer and scrub brush. Hit oil stain with Simple Green let it sit for five or ten minutes use brush to scrub stain then use power washer .

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #46  
Not sure if this has been mentioned,but I have used dry cement or mortar crushed and rubbed into stain ,has worked well for me.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #48  
Had the misfortune of blowing a transmission oil return line down onto a customers driveway. Immediately Did the usual dose of kitty litter/absorbent.
This is no puddle. It’s a 100-150 foot long puddle.
Kitty litter did a decent job on what oil was laying on the surface, but now I still have the stain. I have been given a few different suggestions on remediation.

1. Wait until it dries and seal driveway. Issue with that is the driveway is 1000’ long. Might look odd to seal only 100-150’ of it. Whole driveway would be very expensive

2. Power-wash driveway with a Dawn & water mixture. Still pondering this solution.

Anyone else had luck with a very large stain like this?

View attachment 835440

View attachment 835441
IMHO use a good detergent directly on the worst area with only enough H2O to create a scrub base, yes the area is large but a good scrub brush and manual labor will emulsify the oil. Rinse or power rinse, dry with blower, assess the need for repeat treatment where needed. Pre-seal with a stain blocker before sealing drive.

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway
I think I have used the kitty litter about as much as possible to soak up oil.
Now it’s time to look at a cleaning solution.

When you say “detergent”, are you talking Tide, Dawn, or ….what?

/ Removing Oil stains on asphalt driveway #50  
brake parts cleaner
That only works on concrete. I use lacquer thinner. It's cheaper and works better. But, like I said, only on concrete. Pour it on, let sit for a minute then soak it up with paper towels. This method has always worked for me.

That oil will bleed through any top coating unless you first seal it with something else. Perhaps a vinyl or polyester sealer. Then topcoat. The oil has already blended with the asphalt by now. No amount of cleaning will separate it.