Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft?

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft? #1  

Modrob

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac
MTD 5hp chipper shredder that I want to replace the motor with a new (but about 6 years old in box) Harbor Freight 6.5 hp motor.
Best I can measure, I get 5/8” diameter shaft on the HF, but the original motor has a 7/8” diameter at the end of the tapered shaft. I’m seeing lots of adapters out there, but all are 3/4” to 1”, and a few have a taper to them. Anyone else run into this?

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft? #2  
Ive got one with a bad motor that was given to me. Have been looking on YouTube and saw where some people have got adapters.
Cant remember the exact videos.
I was thinking about rigging it up to my pto.
No more choking down on a small twig.

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft? #3  
MTD 5hp chipper shredder that I want to replace the motor with a new (but about 6 years old in box) Harbor Freight 6.5 hp motor.
Best I can measure, I get 5/8” diameter shaft on the HF, but the original motor has a 7/8” diameter at the end of the tapered shaft. I’m seeing lots of adapters out there, but all are 3/4” to 1”, and a few have a taper to them. Anyone else run into this?
Shaft size on the HF 6.5 is 3/4" as I just replaced a splitter engine. Your old shaft should be 3/4".

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft?
Shaft size on the HF 6.5 is 3/4" as I just replaced a splitter engine. Your old shaft should be 3/4".
Hmmmm…I held a tape measure under the shaft and tried to line up with both sides of the shaft to come up with the 5/8”…I’ll put a micrometer on it shortly and see what I get for sure…

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft? #5  
You wouldn't want to use an adapter on a chipper shaft. What you could do is check that model and see if certain ones were built with the impeller that fits and use that. I dunno if that is worth your will on a small chipper. I've run into this before on motorized assist baggers.

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft? #6  
Hmmmm…I held a tape measure under the shaft and tried to line up with both sides of the shaft to come up with the 5/8”…I’ll put a micrometer on it shortly and see what I get for sure…
I put a micrometer on the HF 6.5 earlier today, came up 3/4.

I put a micrometer on the HF 6.5 earlier today, came up 3/4.
I mistakenly ID’d my motor as a Predator—after a better look I find it’s a “Starter USA Professional” model. (Must have been before Predators) …and another label says it’s a “gosoline” engine! 😜
It’s shaft mics out at .62 mm or 5/8”.
The original MTD final shaft end mics at .87 or 7/8”. 😯

I mistakenly ID’d my motor as a Predator—after a better look I find it’s a “Starter USA Professional” model. (Must have been before Predators) …and another label says it’s a “gosoline” engine! 😜
It’s shaft mics out at .62 mm or 5/8”.
The original MTD final shaft end mics at .87 or 7/8”. 😯

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5390.jpeg
    IMG_5390.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5384.jpeg
    IMG_5384.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
After more consideration I’m going to leave it alone—go back to the original motor. Got a new carb ordered for it and that should get it back up to snuff.
Thanks for the help and interest. 😊

/ Replace motor on MTD 5hp chipper shredder—shaft? #10  
Unless the new carb is a chinese clone copy. Then you might want to regasket the original instead. Those Chinese "new" carbs aren't usually very good.